Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’m not whining at all. I’m stating that I don’t care what you have to say about any topic.
You care so little that you keep replying to what I say.

In a thread created exclusively for stupid arguments.... you deliver.

bacha29

My customer pays me to pickup and deliver packages. I lease my equipment under their motor carrier authority, a standard practice. Where are you getting lost?
You are a nonemployee administrator of a supply chain. One that can be cut off at anytime for any reason or no reason at all. The fact that you have money, personal equity tied up in the venture never has and never will impact any future decisions that company makes. Unlike shareholders who can at least vote their shares and bring ballot questions up for a vote, your investment has no voice and zero representation. And as a result your investment is therefore completely and totally unsecured. And the more unsecured money you get tied up in it the more beholding you are to Fat Freddy.

oldrps

I feel that FedEx contractors provide wholesale transportation and that is a business. Wholesale businesses make a little money on each dollar due to they don't have the headaches of finding customers, setting up billing, sales, marketing, etc; FedEx does all that. They do one thing delivery and pickup packages and that is it and they do it over and over. Do things change over the years, yes, like any other business.

Only having one customer is not a normal way of doing business, it is extremely risky. The benefit is for them is that FedEx (I assume) still pays timely. That doesn't happen in the business world, try calling a customer every week and having to wait over a year to get paid or never get paid. Run out of cash to pay your creditors due to customers not paying you. You can have someone owe you $20,000 dollars and you can go under because you can't pay your lease/rent payment at the end of the month. With FedEx, you know everyday there will be work that has to be completed, it may slow down or go through the roof, but there is work everyday. How many small businesses wish they had that problem.

The risk is if FedEx changes their business model and goes to employee drivers (which is very unlikely), goes out of business, new competition, or the law changes. As long as they provide a good service, there is no reason for FedEx to end the relationship. If the relationship with FedEx ends, they can still startup their own delivery company with the equipment they have, but will have to create everything else that goes with a delivery company.

Many businesses go under everyday and they have nothing to show for it either. They may have equipment they have to sell off or scrap. This is not unique, I don't know why most of you think that doesn't make them a business or less than a business. If you own a pizza place and you go out of business and you own a pizza ovens, tables, chairs, drink machine, dough mixer, shelving, pans, glasses, etc. Those items may be worn down as well. What do you do those business owners do with their equipment?

From reading the comments on this board, I would venture most have never started and run a successful business full time. Customers will dictate what they want and how they want it and many times it is spelled out in contracts. They give you unrealistic deadlines, get mad at you for not completing something due to their negligence. There is no one that helps you, you are on your own. You get sick, you still have to run your business, no one else will run it for you. Until you own a business full time for a few years, you will never understand.

It will be fine

You are a nonemployee administrator of a supply chain. One that can be cut off at anytime for any reason or no reason at all. The fact that you have money, personal equity tied up in the venture never has and never will impact any future decisions that company makes. Unlike shareholders who can at least vote their shares and bring ballot questions up for a vote, your investment has no voice and zero representation. And as a result your investment is therefore completely and totally unsecured. And the more unsecured money you get tied up in it the more beholding you are to Fat Freddy.
I’m not sure why you think that matters. Why would I expect to have any say in how my customer does business? I do this to make money. I’m not like you with grandiose fantasies about taking down Fred S. The money hits my account every Friday, that’s the only thing that matters.

falcon back

I’m not sure why you think that matters. Why would I expect to have any say in how my customer does business? I do this to make money. I’m not like you with grandiose fantasies about taking down Fred S. The money hits my account every Friday, that’s the only thing that matters.
Bacha and ab are 2 people that are tormented and driven with hate. They are consumed with a company neither work for. Very sad.

bacha29

Let's put it another way . What's to stop your so called "customer" from deciding that it no longer wants to do so called "business" with you? Let's say that that at the end of your one year contract they found someone else to service your area. Now just exactly what other use would you have for all of those steps, panels, and cutaways and a of uniforms and handcarts? How many trucks do you think they need around the Metro area? How many delivery trucks can you in your front yard?

I never once talked about taking down Fat Freddy but rather how easily Fat Freddy can take down you.
And the more money you get tied up in Fat Freddy's game, a game where he holds all the cards the higher the level of beholdenness.

It will be fine

Let's put it another way . What's to stop your so called "customer" from deciding that it no longer wants to do so called "business" with you? Let's say that that at the end of your one year contract they found someone else to service your area. Now just exactly what other use would you have for all of those steps, panels, and cutaways and a of uniforms and handcarts? How many trucks do you think they need around the Metro area? How many delivery trucks can you in your front yard?

I never once talked about taking down Fat Freddy but rather how easily Fat Freddy can take down you.
And the more money you get tied up in Fat Freddy's game, a game where he holds all the cards the higher the level of beholdenness.
Yes, my business can lose its customer. What’s your point?

bacha29

Yes, my business can lose its customer. What’s your point?
Never saw a so called "business" with anything close to a similar degree of entrapment or so completely and utterly at the mercy of another party. No due process, no legal recourse in the event that Fat Freddy decides that he no longer has any need for you. The simple fact is that migrant farm workers have better protections under the law than you have.

It will be fine

Never saw a so called "business" with anything close to a similar degree of entrapment or so completely and utterly at the mercy of another party. No due process, no legal recourse in the event that Fat Freddy decides that he no longer has any need for you. The simple fact is that migrant farm workers have better protections under the law than you have.
You’ve never seen a business that’s dependent on another business for revenue? It’s very common. I have a contract that typically only lasts 1 year. If FedEx chooses a different course after that expires what recourse do you believe I should have? They met their obligation, I met mine and was paid accordingly. If their offer for the following year isn’t good enough I can walk away. What recourse do you believe FedEx should have for that?

AB831

You’ve never seen a business that’s dependent on another business for revenue? It’s very common. I have a contract that typically only lasts 1 year. If FedEx chooses a different course after that expires what recourse do you believe I should have? They met their obligation, I met mine and was paid accordingly. If their offer for the following year isn’t good enough I can walk away. What recourse do you believe FedEx should have for that?
FedEx doesn’t need a recourse. If they lose you, they’ll find another schlub to do their bidding in ten minutes. If you lose them, well......that’s a different story. Make no mistake. You are expendable to Fat Freddy, but he is not expendable to you.

bacha29

FedEx doesn’t need a recourse. If they lose you, they’ll find another schlub to do their bidding in ten minutes. If you lose them, well......that’s a different story. Make no mistake. You are expendable to Fat Freddy, but he is not expendable to you.
IWBF continues to downplay the precarious nature of the arrangement. If it happens then he has to find a way to dispose of all of that equipment. Because once you're done all contractor materials and equipment immediately go off FDX property as well. And furthermore there's almost zero secondary market for his junk outside of well...junk.... along with the Goodwill bin for his uniforms.

For some reason he continues to believe that his servitude to Fat Freddy is perpetual and forever benevolent as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't appear to have a backup plan or has established any legal basis by which he could successfully defend his economic self interests.... No individual worthy of being called a "businessman" would be without a contingency plan in the event of a sudden change in the environment in which his so called "business" is located.

It will be fine

Do you believe that’s some type of revelation? It’s called risk. If I wanted to be an employee I could be. I prefer the rewards that come along with the financial risk I’m taking.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
IWBF continues to downplay the precarious nature of the arrangement. If it happens then he has to find a way to dispose of all of that equipment. Because once you're done all contractor materials and equipment immediately go off FDX property as well. And furthermore there's almost zero secondary market for his junk outside of well...junk.... along with the Goodwill bin for his uniforms.

For some reason he continues to believe that his servitude to Fat Freddy is perpetual and forever benevolent as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't appear to have a backup plan or has established any legal basis by which he could successfully defend his economic self interests.... No individual worthy of being called a "businessman" would be without a contingency plan in the event of a sudden change in the environment in which his so called "business" is located.
"A business is defined as an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities. ... The term "business" also refers to the organized efforts and activities of individuals to produce and sell goods and services for profit." Business

Sounds to me like you two are hung up on the term 'independent' and not the argument you are making regarding a business.

Now wipe that egg from your face.

AB831

"A business is defined as an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities. ... The term "business" also refers to the organized efforts and activities of individuals to produce and sell goods and services for profit." Business

Sounds to me like you two are hung up on the term 'independent' and not the argument you are making regarding a business.

Now wipe that egg from your face.
That's a fair point.