Surepost causing routes to be cut

bigblu 2 you

I don't understand what you hope to accomplish. Eliminating SurePost will cost UPSers their job.
The customers will simply give the packages to FedEx or the Post Office.
Hopefully the higher ups in the Union understand business.
not eliminating,only complying.we were made to believe only small{fits thru coat hanger,eg.}and not more than 2lb.we are currently delivering all sizes and weights,,,just a few weeks ago one of are drivers delivered an over 70lb.today i delivered 30 to a small post office and ten of those were over 16 in in diameter.some may think this is petty but i dont.

Why would you file a grievance? This isnt a problem between drivers and the company. This is a DIRECT impact of negotiations with hall and the his Teamster negotiating committee in the last contract. Maybe a little something you and everyone else didnt pay attention too.There is NOTHING we can do at the driver level.Are the surepost packages costing us routes?? ABSOLUTELY. Are the packages getting bigger and bigger? ABSOLUTELY. In my hub, the drivers who deliver to the post office are doing so with 400 to 500 packages on car! Not all of them are bagged, and any supervisor or union official who tells you this is out of his mind. Those 400 to 500 packages are the equivalent of two routes. Now multiply that by 5 post offices ( in my center) and you have 10 routes cut.THese are boxes and not plastic bags of JC Penny items. The boxes are getting larger and they are starting to "blow out" the trucks that carry them.This program ( surepost ) isnt something the company has started without the permission of the Teamsters, just as Logistics isnt. We have even more volume being diverted to Logistics than ever before.If anyone has a beef with surepost or logistics diversions, then your complaints need to start in D.C.Contact hall and complain directly to him or Hoffa. They are responsible. Our voices need to be heard NOW if they are going to take this matter seriously in next years negotiations. They can reverse what they did.While your on the phone with them, also voice your anger over the language contained in article 6 of the N.M.A. and tell them you dont want any EXPANSION of that language to include PRODUCTION, STANDARDS, GOALS or DISCIPLINE. In fact, tell them that the language in article 6 pertaining to telematics, GPS and enforcement should be removed from the book!Get there attention! Dont bother trying to fight it at a local level, you are just wasting youir time, effort and energy.Peace.
So hundreds or thousands of grievances on this issue would mean nothing. I respect your posts on this forum a great deal but my and other members filing on this issue in great numbers would show the international and the company how we the members and the union feel. To not file on this is a defeatist attitude.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So hundreds or thousands of grievances on this issue would mean nothing. I respect your posts on this forum a great deal but my and other members filing on this issue in great numbers would show the international and the company how we the members and the union feel. To not file on this is a defeatist attitude.

The international isnt concerned with "local" filings. The international responds to direct communications from its members. The international knows what it agreed to, and making a bunch of "paper tigers" out of grievance filers will only get someone in trouble with the company.

Taking unnecessary "heat" from excessive filings against the company is only "stirring" up local trouble. If you want to get the internationals attention, then write a well formatted, well defined letter to James P. Hoffa and CC to hall.

Begin the letter with :

Dear Brother Hoffa,

""insert the blah blah blah here".

Filing thousands of grievances against the company for an action approved by the international is foolish advice. Indeed, in the last contract negotiations, the Hoffa administration dropped the ball on many issues, diverting packages is one of them. The company has stretched the limits of the language in many areas and its hall who needs to be held accountable.

The company knows exactly how we feel, and filing thousands of grievances will not change the companies positions.

You call it a "defeatist attitude"? NO, its really simple, those members who ratified this last contract are responsible, I said in the begining, VOTE THIS CONTRACT DOWN, but no one listened.

There were many aspects of the contract that I personally spoke about at the time, that are NOW major concerns. This is one of them.

We were defeated on this issue the moment the contract was ratified.

We will not win this battle upsetting the local supervision over an issue they cannot change, and motivating other drivers to file senselessly will only bring someone some unwanted trouble. If you personally want to repeatedly file on this issue and die on that hill, thats your business, but the real effective messaging will be done by informing the brotherhood directly and with force.

Use your energies to motivate the membership to write to both Hoffa and Hall and express your feelings and effects of this practice in your respective centers. Tell them that you will vote for change if they dont responsibly address this issue of diversion in this next contract.

Creating "paper tigers" in the yard is not recommended.

We will win on this issue if we address the Teamsters collectively.

I dont mean to upset you, only to inform you of a better way.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's total BS.

Hoax,

in many centers, especially in large corridors like West Los Angeles, routes are being lost to surepost packages by the tens.

For every 225 packages sent to surepost, one route is eliminated. Some P12's are blowing out with 400 to 500 surepost packages each in my hub. I have 5 cars going to post offices.

The B.S. is on your end.

Peace.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The international isnt concerned with "local" filings. The international responds to direct communications from its members. The international knows what it agreed to, and making a bunch of "paper tigers" out of grievance filers will only get someone in trouble with the company.

Taking unnecessary "heat" from excessive filings against the company is only "stirring" up local trouble. If you want to get the internationals attention, then write a well formatted, well defined letter to James P. Hoffa and CC to hall.

Begin the letter with :

Dear Brother Hoffa,

""insert the blah blah blah here".

Filing thousands of grievances against the company for an action approved by the international is foolish advice. Indeed, in the last contract negotiations, the Hoffa administration dropped the ball on many issues, diverting packages is one of them. The company has stretched the limits of the language in many areas and its hall who needs to be held accountable.

The company knows exactly how we feel, and filing thousands of grievances will not change the companies positions.

You call it a "defeatist attitude"? NO, its really simple, those members who ratified this last contract are responsible, I said in the begining, VOTE THIS CONTRACT DOWN, but no one listened.

There were many aspects of the contract that I personally spoke about at the time, that are NOW major concerns. This is one of them.

We were defeated on this issue the moment the contract was ratified.

We will not win this battle upsetting the local supervision over an issue they cannot change, and motivating other drivers to file senselessly will only bring someone some unwanted trouble. If you personally want to repeatedly file on this issue and die on that hill, thats your business, but the real effective messaging will be done by informing the brotherhood directly and with force.

Use your energies to motivate the membership to write to both Hoffa and Hall and express your feelings and effects of this practice in your respective centers. Tell them that you will vote for change if they dont responsibly address this issue of diversion in this next contract.

Creating "paper tigers" in the yard is not recommended.

We will win on this issue if we address the Teamsters collectively.

I dont mean to upset you, only to inform you of a better way.

Peace.

Could you quote the article where the unionagreed to allow this please.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
btw surepost has cost us 2 rural routes in a 12 car center,so what is the trade off?
Hoax,

in many centers, especially in large corridors like West Los Angeles, routes are being lost to surepost packages by the tens.

For every 225 packages sent to surepost, one route is eliminated. Some P12's are blowing out with 400 to 500 surepost packages each in my hub. I have 5 cars going to post offices.

The B.S. is on your end.

Peace.

My BS reply was that 2 out of 12 routes were lost to SurePost. I can believe (but still very, very skeptical) that maybe 2 routes out of 50 cars were "eliminated" by the number of SurePost packages being delivered by the Post Office. However, that's still BS because those packages would not be UPS's anyway if UPS did not offer SurePost. They would be FedEx's or the USPS packages.

I am continually amazed and amused at this crap that some people seem to actually believe. In a way, I hope you doofuses get what you want and then see these packages totally move out of the UPS system. However, I believe your Union leadership is not that stupid ... they seem to actually have the ability to think things through, luckily for their membership.

BTW, exaggeration and embellishment does nothing but reduce the credibility of the speaker.

Peace,
H

upsset

My biggest concern about Surepost is this; we are told that by giving up all this work to the Post office JC Penny and others are giving us more work. But, if we are only acting as frieght fowarders then they are essentially paying us and the post office to deliver each package. How long before they realize the post office can park a trailer on their dock and cut us out completely saving JC money and giving the PO more business. We are subsidizing a competitor who is struggling and showing them how to steal our customers. All the while we are constantly harassed about new leads because volume is down. How about we stop giving work away!!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
btw surepost has cost us 2 rural routes in a 12 car center,so what is the trade off?

That's total BS.

Do you see it now?

My BS reply was that 2 out of 12 routes were lost to SurePost. ( 2 in 10 where he is) I can believe (but still very, very skeptical) that maybe 2 routes out of 50 cars were "eliminated" by the number of SurePost packages being delivered by the Post Office. However, that's still BS because those packages would not be UPS's anyway if UPS did not offer SurePost. They would be FedEx's or the USPS packages.

I am continually amazed and amused at this crap that some people seem to actually believe. In a way, I hope you doofuses get what you want and then see these packages totally move out of the UPS system. However, I believe your Union leadership is not that stupid ... they seem to actually have the ability to think things through, luckily for their membership.

BTW, exaggeration and embellishment does nothing but reduce the credibility of the speaker.

Peace,
H

You need to get out from the behind the computer and see the real UPS.
We are giving away the future.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My biggest concern about Surepost is this; we are told that by giving up all this work to the Post office JC Penny and others are giving us more work. But, if we are only acting as frieght fowarders then they are essentially paying us and the post office to deliver each package. How long before they realize the post office can park a trailer on their dock and cut us out completely saving JC money and giving the PO more business. We are subsidizing a competitor who is struggling and showing them how to steal our customers. All the while we are constantly harassed about new leads because volume is down. How about we stop giving work away!!!

Exactly right.

Why if the company is so concerned over the unfair advantage that the postal service and fedex has over our company, would they then subsidize the postal service to keep it afloat? Why not starve them to death?

Instead, we feed the monster and cry that our stomachs are empty. Just stupid.

Peace.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am a registered democrat and I am sick and tired of people who can work but won't sucking the well dry. I am also sick of EVERYONE in Washington running this country into the ground. Everyone, not just the democrats.

bigblu 2 you

That's total BS.
its easy to shout b.s from your high seat but i have no reason to tell you anything false.i watched it come in slowly and grow to the point of a town of 2500,and one county with 6000-7000 residents and 3 routes serving that county drop to 1.5 to 2 runs depending on volume.i look at the surepost deliveries 25-50,45-100 in peak and see many that used to fill our shelves.we had one route took out 50-60 stops with 200 miles,very rural rough area.i work in the real world and see real changes.much of the b.s i encounter is from number crunchers and pencil pushers who desire to discredit others.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
its easy to shout b.s from your high seat but i have no reason to tell you anything false.i watched it come in slowly and grow to the point of a town of 2500,and one county with 6000-7000 residents and 3 routes serving that county drop to 1.5 to 2 runs depending on volume.i look at the surepost deliveries 25-50,45-100 in peak and see many that used to fill our shelves.we had one route took out 50-60 stops with 200 miles,very rural rough area.i work in the real world and see real changes.much of the b.s i encounter is from number crunchers and pencil pushers who desire to discredit others.

Let me make this clear ... I don't doubt that you strongly believe what you are saying and what you have deduced.

My BS comment is that what you are saying doesn't make any rational sense.

I guess we can just let each other believe what we believe.

Take care as I as some body once said, "I'm out of here."
Sorry but I am not pretzelman and patiently explain the same things over and over again.
One of my sayings is, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think."

Let me make this clear ... I don't doubt that you strongly believe what you are saying and what you have deduced. My BS comment is that what you are saying doesn't make any rational sense.I guess we can just let each other believe what we believe.Take care as I as some body once said, "I'm out of here." Sorry but I am not pretzelman and patiently explain the same things over and over again.One of my sayings is, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think."
can you understand why hourly teamsters would be skeptical of the company's intentions with surepost?? How many times in your 38 years has UPS told you one thing and it turned out that they had other ulterior motives. This is why everyone is so skeptical.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
can you understand why hourly teamsters would be skeptical of the company's intentions with surepost?? How many times in your 38 years has UPS told you one thing and it turned out that they had other ulterior motives. This is why everyone is so skeptical.

That I can understand 407. I'm pretty much skeptical of anything anybody tells me.

I use to have as my signature the following, "Ignore words, judge by actions. Pay no attention to what people say...observe their actions."

This is still my Personal Quote in my "About Me" here on Brown Cafe.

I try to be skeptical without going over to cynical but as I get older, I don't try as hard. :wink2:

In fact I posted earlier in this thread that I could believe that 2 routes out of 50 may be reduced by SurePost cannibalization of Ground volume.

I know UPS and it is always, always driven by profits and every time a Ground package is converted to SurePost, UPS loses profit. That understanding drives my beliefs about SurePost more than anything else.

MFR2010

Sureposts price is set for the post office to deliver it. If it changed and we delivered it, the price would have to be set higher, sending those high volume shippers to fedex. There goes feeder and part time jobs. It sucks but its reality, this union attitude of I want it all or nothing isn't going to work in this economy.