Surepost causing routes to be cut

bigblu 2 you

Sureposts price is set for the post office to deliver it. If it changed and we delivered it, the price would have to be set higher, sending those high volume shippers to fedex. There goes feeder and part time jobs. It sucks but its reality, this union attitude of I want it all or nothing isn't going to work in this economy.
b.s?

hembone

Sureposts price is set for the post office to deliver it. If it changed and we delivered it, the price would have to be set higher, sending those high volume shippers to fedex. There goes feeder and part time jobs. It sucks but its reality, this union attitude of I want it all or nothing isn't going to work in this economy.[/QUOTE

I was on one of the conference calls last summer with hall. The IBT knows the situation and the volume would be lost. He used the term carry-on packages. It's just a race to the bottom with cheaper rates. Look at all the pizza commercials on t.v. with all the deals. Don't think Pizza Hut or the others wouldn't like to be charging 15 dollars for a large one topping.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The postal service continues to bleed from every vein of their business and yet UPS will continue to supply them with packages.

I say let them die, give the mail to private industry.

Peace.

QKRSTKR

I've heard all the arguments. I hear the "tag along packages" we get as well as the surepost pkgs. I agree with the why feed the monster and starve ourselves. The post office sucks. Period. They loose billions of dollars. Why? So lets get in bed with them? Really?

I don't know much about the Fed-ex smartpost. All I know when I back into the dock at the Post Office, It's never next to a fed-ex truck. I've never seen them leave packages there. I understand the feeder work and part-time hub peoples jobs, packages flowing thru our system, but why not seal the deal with making final delivery. Epsecially when I have a regular ground going to 123 anystreet and i just left 3 at the post office. How is this cost effective. IM GOING THERE ANYWAYS. Maybe I'll start doing that with the loose packages. If I know I have a stop at that address I'll just deliver the surepost there as well. When I get questioned, which I know i will, I'll just say "trying to provide the best possible UPS service I can." Why make OUR consignee wait another day for delivery?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've heard all the arguments. I hear the "tag along packages" we get as well as the surepost pkgs. I agree with the why feed the monster and starve ourselves. The post office sucks. Period. They loose billions of dollars. Why? So lets get in bed with them? Really?

I don't know much about the Fed-ex smartpost. All I know when I back into the dock at the Post Office, It's never next to a fed-ex truck. I've never seen them leave packages there. I understand the feeder work and part-time hub peoples jobs, packages flowing thru our system, but why not seal the deal with making final delivery. Epsecially when I have a regular ground going to 123 anystreet and i just left 3 at the post office. How is this cost effective. IM GOING THERE ANYWAYS. Maybe I'll start doing that with the loose packages. If I know I have a stop at that address I'll just deliver the surepost there as well. When I get questioned, which I know i will, I'll just say "trying to provide the best possible UPS service I can." Why make OUR consignee wait another day for delivery?

OK, so in your example, let's say you have 1 pkg for 123 anystreet and 3 more for that same address going to the P.O. You intend to deliver all 4 to 123 anystreet. You scan the package addressed to 123 anystreet and then scan the first SurePost package. You will then have to hit "yes" for that package to confirm that you are at the "right" address, even though you aren't. You will also have to deal with the SurePost message that will appear on your DIAD. I understand and applaud your customer service but think this is a battle not worth fighting; besides, don't they bag the SurePost packages in your center?

I think it was Bubbles who suggested a determination be made during the preload as to whether a SurePost package is PAL'd to the P.O. or to the consignee based upon whether there was a package going to their house or not.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I would not recomend this. Work as instructed or face termination for failure to follow instructions. The packages are contracted at a lower rate to be delivered to the post offices and UPS could not get paid if that contract is not fulfilled. As you all should know by now, if you cost them money, you will end up paying for it one way or another!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've heard all the arguments. I hear the "tag along packages" we get as well as the surepost pkgs. I agree with the why feed the monster and starve ourselves. The post office sucks. Period. They loose billions of dollars. Why? So lets get in bed with them? Really? I don't know much about the Fed-ex smartpost. All I know when I back into the dock at the Post Office, It's never next to a fed-ex truck. I've never seen them leave packages there. I understand the feeder work and part-time hub peoples jobs, packages flowing thru our system, but why not seal the deal with making final delivery. Epsecially when I have a regular ground going to 123 anystreet and i just left 3 at the post office. How is this cost effective. IM GOING THERE ANYWAYS. Maybe I'll start doing that with the loose packages. If I know I have a stop at that address I'll just deliver the surepost there as well. When I get questioned, which I know i will, I'll just say "trying to provide the best possible UPS service I can." Why make OUR consignee wait another day for delivery?
I agree except for the delivering surepost on your own which I take as humor. As for that feeder/sorter job argument they always throw out there, well....wouldn't those jobs still exist if ups delivered those pkgs? Yes! As for a "low cost option" hows this; a customer is given low cost "ground saver" option, and has the option of receiving the parcel at will call on it's arrival day. This keeps the pkg at ups and potentially creates a full time 22.3 job that was previously shed to the PO. If they want it delivered, it is dispatched on a ups route on day 2, the exact same day the PO was PO had been delivering it on, and potentially increasing the odds of a tag along pkg. Customer saves $, ups saves $, a ups job is created. WIN WIN WIN!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Right moreluck. The nation could use another 1 million on the unemployment line. Imports I guess is your example of leading america to recovery?

Peace.

Allowing GM to go under and the ripple effects felt throughout the economy would have been devastating. On the other hand, scratch told us in the Government Motors thread that the UAW has told its members that they should expect to receive a $37K profit sharing bonus. Please, oh mighty steward, spin this in a positive way.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Allowing GM to go under and the ripple effects felt throughout the economy would have been devastating. On the other hand, scratch told us in the Government Motors thread that the UAW has told its members that they should expect to receive a $37K profit sharing bonus. Please, oh mighty steward, spin this in a positive way.

I would have no idea what scratch is talking about. Your giving me second hand information and I cant make a response to second hand info. Who do you think I am? Moreluck?

Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have no idea what scratch is talking about. Your giving me second hand information and I cant make a response to second hand info. Who do you think I am? Moreluck?

Peace.

Tell you what--I'll do the grunt work for you:

My brother works for GM, he told me today that the UAW is expecting its members to get a $37K profit sharing bonus. I don't buy GM anymore, I'm happy with Ford.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tell you what--I'll do the grunt work for you:

My brother works for GM, he told me today that the UAW is expecting its members to get a $37K profit sharing bonus. I don't buy GM anymore, I'm happy with Ford.

Well, let me clarify it again, now your giving me THIRD hand information, he heard it from his brother -thats second hand, you heard it from scratch- thats third hand, I wonder who his brother heard it from?

Peace.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I doubt it's 37K, probably more like 3,700.00 which would put it in line with the profit sharing check they got for 2010. If GM is making a profit that's a good thing, both for the workers and for us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I doubt it's 37K, probably more like 3,700.00 which would put it in line with the profit sharing check they got for 2010. If GM is making a profit that's a good thing, both for the workers and for us.

From what I read online the profit sharing would be in lieu of any pay raises but I could not find anything about $37K.

CharleyHustle

when I back into the dock at the Post Office, It's never next to a fed-ex truck. I've never seen them leave packages there.

Most, but not all Smartpost get dropped at the pick-up area post office. Which means they travel cross country via post office contracters At the post office I deliver to, smartpost comes in a plain jane white panel van. For a while the guy was refusing to make the pick-up for returns. The Post Office has cheaper rates for lighter, smaller packages, and cheaper rates for those shipped locally, which is why we haul them to the delivery office. There are any number of reasons why they can offer these cheaper rates from no insurance to subsidizing with stamps.

C

chuchu

Are you emptying the bags and scanning each package at delivery? If so, that is defeating the purpose of the bags.
Sorry, I was on vacation and missed your question. NO, we ONLY scan the pkgs in the bag if the label on the bag is missing or defaced (ripped) and not able to be manually entered. If you don't scan them all (in that case) those pkgs come up on a "no scan" (missed/incomplete) report. We know what happens then-don't we? One of our loaders ordered vaccine for their horse from a shipper in the same state we work in and it took 4 days for the pkg to get delivered to the consignee. The shipping charge (ground service) was $17 for a 2 lb package! When it didn't arrive on time they ordered a new shipment from another company who shipped it FED X ground and it arrived the next day (like a "regular" UPS shipment would have) and it cost $8. The loader refused the first pkg sent through "un-SUREPOST" and called the shipper to let them known they would never order through their co again as long as they used "Surepost". Don't tell me UPS isn't making decent $ through the P.O. program. The rates are high and the service sucks.

worldwide

Sureposts price is set for the post office to deliver it. If it changed and we delivered it, the price would have to be set higher, sending those high volume shippers to fedex. There goes feeder and part time jobs. It sucks but its reality, this union attitude of I want it all or nothing isn't going to work in this economy.

The rate UPS pays the USPS for this service are based on Parcel Select rates. A 1-lb and 2-lb Parcel Select rate is $1.85. You really think UPS ground residential and Fedex Home Delivery can compete with that rate?

This is the reality of the economy. Companies are not willing to pay Fedex Home Delivery and UPS Ground residential rates and the various surcharges. Fedex SmartPost is growing like crazy and driving the ground growth at the company--read any of their quarterly reports or listen to their earnings announcments. It is reality. You can either accept the fact that UPS needs to offer a similar service that competes on rates or let Fedex take this volume and the jobs that go with it. It is reality.

Surepost packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by UPS Teamster employees. Fedex subcontracts out most of the pickup from the customer and delivery to the post office. They have a lower cost structure than UPS. It is reality.

Waiting for the USPS to implode while Fedex Smart Post grows and grows is not a smart business decision. The USPS will always exist--maybe some offices will close and maybe Saturday delivery will go away but the USPS will always exist.

You can choose to accept reality or ignore it, but it does not change the facts.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The rate UPS pays the USPS for this service are based on Parcel Select rates. A 1-lb and 2-lb Parcel Select rate is $1.85. You really think UPS ground residential and Fedex Home Delivery can compete with that rate?

If you work at a UPS facility near any of these buildings, they have volume that used to be in the UPS network and are currently working on taking more from the UPS network.

This is the reality of the economy. Companies are not willing to pay Fedex Home Delivery and UPS Ground residential rates and the various surcharges. Fedex SmartPost is growing like crazy and driving the ground growth at the company--read any of their quarterly reports or listen to their earnings announcments. It is reality. You can either accept the fact that UPS needs to offer a similar service that competes on rates or let Fedex take this volume and the jobs that go with it. It is reality.

Surepost packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by UPS Teamster employees. Fedex subcontracts out most of the pickup from the customer and delivery to the post office. They have a lower cost structure than UPS. It is reality.

Waiting for the USPS to implode while Fedex Smart Post grows and grows is not a smart business decision. The USPS will always exist--maybe some offices will close and maybe Saturday delivery will go away but the USPS will always exist.

You can choose to accept reality or ignore it, but it does not change the facts.

So what does UPS get to take the package from the shipper to the Post Office?
Add that sum plus $1.85 per package for each package that we already have a delivery for, and there's many in densely populated urban settings, and you an opportunity lost.
Now add in the ones going to the house next door or across the street to another delivery...?
We've seen this company's obsession with GPS technology when it comes to discipline, let's put it to work here.
I've never railed against this program in rural settings, but in tight, densely populated urban settings, the program raises red flags of other agendas by the company, hence the title of this thread.
Sometimes you have to read between the lines on these quarterly reports and earnings statements, in conjunction with front line experiences, to get "the big picture".

You can choose to drink the brown koolaid, but it does not change the facts.