Surepost Changes

What'dyabringmetoday???

There is another part of this that most haven't heard from yet. The rural post offices around where I live are going to be cutting back on their hours that they are open. Some are gonna be open only 2 hours a day, some 4, and some 6. If they are only open 2 or 4 hours in a day, we may not make service on those before they close. None of this is supposed to take place til after the first of the year, but every postal employee I have talked to lately is telling me pretty much the same thing, its just a matter of when.
Good. Who cares? They are taking business from UPS Teamsters. No need to make it easy for them to continue that practice.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Stop count stays the same.

Edited 'cause I am tired and what I wrote after the above was out of frustration and was not constructive in any way.

Last edited:

bumped

There is another part of this that most haven't heard from yet. The rural post offices around where I live are going to be cutting back on their hours that they are open. Some are gonna be open only 2 hours a day, some 4, and some 6. If they are only open 2 or 4 hours in a day, we may not make service on those before they close. None of this is supposed to take place til after the first of the year, but every postal employee I have talked to lately is telling me pretty much the same thing, its just a matter of when.

Your center manager will make sure you make service on those PO packages.

upsyo

The thing that was never covered in the PCM or the DIAD Training was if they are to be released as a shipper release package.

barnyard

KTM rider
The thing that was never covered in the PCM or the DIAD Training was if they are to be released as a shipper release package.

Seriously?????

They are shipper release packages.

Pretty sure that was covered thoroughly in the newsmagazine, "Duh."

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Could it be that UPS Corporate does monitor this forum? Our PDS outlined upcoming changes to Surepost that were suggested by one of our members on a thread a while ago. The changes, which will be outlined in DIAD training next week, should help to provide better service for our more frequent residential consignees. The first change works like this---if the consignee has a non-Surepost package in EDD and a Surepost package is scanned the system will divert the package from the Post Office to be delivered directly to the consignee. The second change works like this---if a consignee has 2 or more Surepost packages those packages will be diverted from the Post Office, loaded in to EDD and delivered directly to the consignee. There was not enough time to go over all of the details---these will be covered in the training---but it does sound as though we will be getting back some of the volume we have lost to the Post Office. I will be curious to see if there will be a corresponding revenue recovery for those Surepost packages that we deliver.

I can see this turning into a nightmare, if the packages aren't pulled from the bags, for a driver that has multiple surepost bags. My post office generally has 2 bags.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow you guys have small SP volume. I deliver 100+ (about 10-15 bags) packages to the PO on my route every day.

In Atlanta, we consolidate and have two trailers a day delivered by TDP Feeder drivers.

Sometimes we have a partial third trailer but we let it sit until it gets full which is always the next business day.

pretzel_man

I can see this turning into a nightmare, if the packages aren't pulled from the bags, for a driver that has multiple surepost bags. My post office generally has 2 bags.

The decision to redirect is made BEFORE any packages are bagged. That is why there was a discussion of the forecast. They are using the forecast to make the decision.

If the forecast shows a UPS ground package to the same address OR more than some number of Surepost packages to the same address, they tell PAS to redirect the package for a UPS ground delivery.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The decision to redirect is made BEFORE any packages are bagged. That is why there was a discussion of the forecast. They are using the forecast to make the decision.

If the forecast shows a UPS ground package to the same address OR more than some number of Surepost packages to the same address, they tell PAS to redirect the package for a UPS ground delivery.
Thanks P-man. I kinda figured this.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
There are 3 post offices in the town I deliver in. One is a sorting facility which gets nothing. One is a large facility that does 3 different towns. The one on my route is a small facility that handles only the few blocks that encompass my route. I deliver, on average, two pieces per day to my post office. I won't see much of a difference.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like the idea but if this is the same technology that takes 4 identical packages and Pals 2 to 2914 and 2 to 2915 main St on the same day Im sure it will be great.

Isn't that logistics?? So I guess we are going back to logistics this week. I'll be there bright and early ready to work as instructed as always. Ready to be led down the gauntlet of another corporate decision.What ever