Surepost Changes

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
today was our first day using the RAL.
I had 200 total stops for the day and 18 were redirected from the post office. the interesting thing was that they were a single package for a single delivery. there wasn't any regular ground going to that address as was explained in the training.
GEE! Wonder why I'm not surprised??!?!?!:overreactsmiley:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not sure since i'm a cover driver but there were other deliveries very close to those. obviously it's an in-town route.

That answered my question before I got a chance to ask it.

Multiple packages per stop is the single most driving factor.
The next is stop density.
The basic concept is to reduce the "Cost per stop" and when there are other stops close, that drives down the cost per stop.

The thing I find the most interesting is that people have been bitching about Surepost and now that they are added back to teh UPS driver, people are belly-aching about that.

I swear!

stink219

I'm not sure since i'm a cover driver but there were other deliveries very close to those. obviously it's an in-town route.

The basic concept is to reduce the "Cost per stop" and when there are other stops close, that drives down the cost per stop.

The thing I find the most interesting is that people have been bitching about Surepost and now that they are added back to teh UPS driver, people are belly-aching about that.

I swear!
Hoaxster, are you in management? If so, a legitimate question... I hear about stop density during peak all the time. The suits justify putting more stops on us because we do less miles. It makes sense to me. Yet the antithesis of that concept which I call "stop sparsity" should give less stops for a larger area. So wouldn't stops per car be a flawed system during times like the summer when we cut so many routes, keep our SPC up and cover a larger delivery area?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think the rerouting of those packages will only apply to ORION equipped facilities, I could be wrong though...but this has the stink of ORION on it. And the post office has been losing money for years. Haven't been profitable...ever!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the rerouting of those packages will only apply to ORION equipped facilities, I could be wrong though...but this has the stink of ORION on it. And the post office has been losing money for years. Haven't been profitable...ever!

ORION readjusts our EDD during the day and has nothing to do with diverting Surepost packages. All facilites will incorporate these changes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, are you in management? If so, a legitimate question... I hear about stop density during peak all the time. The suits justify putting more stops on us because we do less miles. It makes sense to me. Yet the antithesis of that concept which I call "stop sparsity" should give less stops for a larger area. So wouldn't stops per car be a flawed system during times like the summer when we cut so many routes, keep our SPC up and cover a larger delivery area?

Sparsity of stop density is usually associated with rural and super-rural areas which also typically have a longer to-from area mileage.
If you work out the cost analysis on these type of routes, you load these up with a 10 - 11 hour day.
Urban and super-urban routes tend to be the opposite - an 8.5 - 9 hour day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I swear!

I think it's great.
I was the one who UpState was referring to in the original post for this thread.
I suggested this a year ago or more.
It is a no brainer in urban areas.
UPS took a good idea, in rural areas, and bastardized it by implementing it in urban areas as well.
I still say it was to curb hiring of full time drivers and building our fleet and infrastructure, in exchange for immediate profit.

stink219

Sparsity of stop density is usually associated with rural and super-rural areas which also typically have a longer to-from area mileage.
If you work out the cost analysis on these type of routes, you load these up with a 10 - 11 hour day.
Urban and super-urban routes tend to be the opposite - an 8.5 - 9 hour day.
I get what your saying. Appreciate the reply.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I still say it was to curb hiring of full time drivers and building our fleet and infrastructure, in exchange for immediate profit.

That could be a side benefit but it would not be for "revenue" but to "save cost expenditures" which could both increase profit.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That could be a side benefit but it would not be for "revenue" but to "save cost expenditures" which could both increase profit.

...and leave us unprepared for the ever increasing home shopping phenomenon.
Had we embraced these single package deliveries, at a temporarily lower profit margin, we would be positioned to service the multiple packages now arriving at the same address daily.
As I understand it, each additional package to the first is exponentially more profitible.
I deliver within the city limits of a major US city and can't count the times I have delivered to an address, only to find a package or two already on the porch that I had been delivered to the PO and they had taken the rest of the way a day later.
Hopefully it isn't too late to right the short sightedness of yesterday.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had one with a black stripe on the label, which should have been in my load. It was loaded with the PO stuff and had the PO address on the SPA label. I checked the address on the package and I did not have another package for that address, but one for next door. If it would have been in the load, I would have parked once and delivered twice. Does not happen often on rural routes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had one with a black stripe on the label, which should have been in my load. It was loaded with the PO stuff and had the PO address on the SPA label. I checked the address on the package and I did not have another package for that address, but one for next door. If it would have been in the load, I would have parked once and delivered twice. Does not happen often on rural routes.
Yep I had many Friday with the black label but were in edd to go to the post office.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My center went live with the surepost parcels being delivered by Teamsters two weeks ago. Have had about 40 parcels rerouted to my EDD since the change took effect. Most were duplicates for addresses that I already had parcels for, but many were lone stops on the same or nearby streets. Nice to get some of this volume back!

barnyard

KTM rider
I am seeing 5 or so extra pieces per day. Talking to the postmistress, I took back a couple of QVC ladies. Her carriers were pretty happy about that. I would guess that 75% of the pieces I see are being added to a ground stop that I already have, the rest are multiples for the same stop. Had 10 for one stop the other day. 1 was ground, the rest were surepost. Most were pretty big too, I had to fold out the foot on my cart to get them to her porch.

What I have not seen are any stops that are close to stops that I already have. The other day, I noticed lots of packages for a particular street on route, I also had quite a few stops for that street, but none were diverted Surepost. One that stuck out was for an address that I had packages for on each side. I could have easily walked off 3 in a row.