Surepost Changes

cino321

Some of the PO's in our area are very heavy, sometimes 150-200+ pieces daily, not counting how many pieces are in the bag.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It'll be interesting to see how PAS handles the Surepost pkgs that have PO Boxes as addresses. Theoretically, I would think that PAS wouldn't flip those to street addys but then again................................................. :dont_know:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It'll be interesting to see how PAS handles the Surepost pkgs that have PO Boxes as addresses. Theoretically, I would think that PAS wouldn't flip those to street addys but then again................................................. :dont_know:

The PLD is run through an Address Matching system and if the address is not in the database, it will not result in a match and threfore will maintain it's original destination sort characteristics.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The PLD is run through an Address Matching system and if the address is not in the database, it will not result in a match and threfore will maintain it's original destination sort characteristics.
Even if I get a package from sure post, my center manager always knows if I am shopping. Weird.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There is another part of this that most haven't heard from yet. The rural post offices around where I live are going to be cutting back on their hours that they are open. Some are gonna be open only 2 hours a day, some 4, and some 6. If they are only open 2 or 4 hours in a day, we may not make service on those before they close. None of this is supposed to take place til after the first of the year, but every postal employee I have talked to lately is telling me pretty much the same thing, its just a matter of when.
I just got a survey from USPS Albany about my Belleville PO. They gave me three options of when/where to get my mail. They only had one option that left a human at the PO, and it only allowed for 4 hours a day. She hates Surepost, BTW. Of course, 10 miles away by the water, Henderson and Henderson Harbor have their own PO's. Less than one mile apart. It helps to have a lot of rich people around, I guess. (Henderson-10 miles away- delivers to the box out front of my house-Ellisburg is three miles, and they don't. WTH??)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That I understand. What I was getting at is, over the years we have had many customers ship to: John Doe PO Box ### Whoville, USA. PAS has gotten good at automatically flipping those to the correct street address. PAS has even sent surepost pkgs (when they have the customers street address) directly to the customers address instead of the post office. Now we are going to tell PAS to read the customers address directly and match it to any non surepost packages and divert the surepost. On my rte, probably half of my customers have post office boxes and many of the surepost pkgs are addressed to a PO Box. It's just gonna be interesting to see how this works out. I'm sure IE has thought of EVERYTHING! NOT!

menotyou

bella amicizia
That I understand. What I was getting at is, over the years we have had many customers ship to: John Doe PO Box ### Whoville, USA. PAS has gotten good at automatically flipping those to the correct street address. PAS has even sent surepost pkgs (when they have the customers street address) directly to the customers address instead of the post office. Now we are going to tell PAS to read the customers address directly and match it to any non surepost packages and divert the surepost. On my rte, probably half of my customers have post office boxes and many of the surepost pkgs are addressed to a PO Box. It's just gonna be interesting to see how this works out. I'm sure IE has thought of EVERYTHING! NOT!
I have added thousands of consignee's addresses to PAS at our center.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This is rather obvious and I am quite certain they thought of this.
AMS is not part of PAS btw.
PAS is the distribution and routing system and AMS is the address validation and matching system.

I am sure there are other things they did not catch or the exception based operational cost did not win over the developmental cost to provide the desired functionality.
You start out with a model based on perfect technology and unlimited resources.
Then you rationalize that with prioritization based on criticality, cost to provide and operational savings.
It's an iterative process that happens every 6 months and we keep chugging along.

Thanks in advance for handling the exceptions for all the things that did not get included in the release.

Brownsfan

This makes me happy. I had to make sure it wasnt April fools day. We have probably 400 surepost parcels a day and 4 people on layoff a week. So this is a good positive development.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

This makes me happy. I had to make sure it wasnt April fools day. We have probably 400 surepost parcels a day and 4 people on layoff a week. So this is a good positive development.

Since this won't change stops per car for the most part (most of the time the diversion will probably happen because a pkg was already going to the house, rather than 3+ surepost pkgs going to same house), I think those drivers will remain laid off. Rather, those already giing out will just have more pieces to deliver.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This is rather obvious and I am quite certain they thought of this.
AMS is not part of PAS btw.:dont_know:
PAS is the distribution and routing system and AMS is the address validation and matching system.

I am sure there are other things they did not catch or the exception based operational cost did not win over the developmental cost to provide the desired functionality.
You start out with a model based on perfect technology and unlimited resources.
Then you rationalize that with prioritization based on criticality, cost to provide and operational savings.
It's an iterative :nonono:process that happens every 6 months and we keep chugging along.

Thanks in advance for handling the exceptions for all the things that did not get included in the release.

:kidseyessmiley2::rofl:

nocturnalbuck

today was our first day using the RAL.
I had 200 total stops for the day and 18 were redirected from the post office. the interesting thing was that they were a single package for a single delivery. there wasn't any regular ground going to that address as was explained in the training.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Uh yeah I'm interested to see how soon this goes into effect for everyone. I delivered prob 200-250 packages to one of the post offices tosay

kingOFchester

today was our first day using the RAL.
I had 200 total stops for the day and 18 were redirected from the post office. the interesting thing was that they were a single package for a single delivery. there wasn't any regular ground going to that address as was explained in the training.

Did you deliver to those addresses the day before? Perhaps today you will? May be some kinks that need to be worked out.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Regarding delivering surepost pkgs redirected without any other deliveries made to that address, the training explained that since the forecast is used, there may be instances where a surepost pkg is redirected based on packages forecasted to be delivered on a certain day (just to be clear, the forecast is not the same as EDD) but not making it, like when a trailer arrives late and is not unloaded.

menotyou

bella amicizia
like when a trailer arrives late and is not unloaded.
My center manager would twitch his way into a frenzy, if that ever happened at our center.

Dispatcher had a brilliant idea to prevent the belt from going off. (this is o/t, but still funny) Let all teh missed go to the end, where a kid with too much to load as it is, would put the missed in a pc and they would run those at the end of the day. He thought this dandy idea was running swimmingly. That was until the day every driver was missing at least 3 packages in EDD. No one knew where these packages went. At the PCM the next day, the on-car was still 'looking into it'. The drivers went on the belt for the air. A lot of ground was mixed in, and the ground had 2 SPA labels. An driver/former SPA person pointed out that the SPA labels had yesterday's and today's date on them, respectively. Pretty soon, all the drivers were razzing the on-car for the missed packages.
The dispatcher tries to just mix those packages in without alerting anyone else, including management.

Had a union driver missed over 200 packages, he'd be unemployed. But, it was a sup's mistake, so he's still employed. No more missed truck at the end of the belt, though.