Surepost Changes

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I have not seen are any stops that are close to stops that I already have. The other day, I noticed lots of packages for a particular street on route, I also had quite a few stops for that street, but none were diverted Surepost. One that stuck out was for an address that I had packages for on each side. I could have easily walked off 3 in a row.

This makes a lot of sense---I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the software to recognize adjacent deliveries.

Have any of you had Surepost packages listed in your EDD not on your car and not reported as misloads? I had 2 on Friday--I have to assume that they got delivered to the Post Office as I didn't have them and they were still in EDD when I punched out.

CAFAL

I think the rerouting of those packages will only apply to ORION equipped facilities, I could be wrong though...but this has the stink of ORION on it. And the post office has been losing money for years. Haven't been profitable...ever!
the post office could be profitable.I had read that the post office pension is 130% funded. Most of their money goes towards retirement and healthcare.

What'dyabringmetoday???

This makes a lot of sense---I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the software to recognize adjacent deliveries.

Have any of you had Surepost packages listed in your EDD not on your car and not reported as misloads? I had 2 on Friday--I have to assume that they got delivered to the Post Office as I didn't have them and they were still in EDD when I punched out.
Mwumpawahwumpmawumpwa.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
the post office could be profitable.I had read that the post office pension is 130% funded. Most of their money goes towards retirement and healthcare.

That is definitely a major part of their financial issues but their operating infrastructure and number of employees are out of sync with their decreasing volume levels.

On an anticlimactic note, the post office in Climax, GA is closing on October 31st.

UPSGUY72

They have missed the last two payments and have already maxed out on what they are allowed to borrow. They are losing $36 million a day because of companies and people using the internet to bay bills and correspond with other. they would have to raise the price of a stamp to about a $1.

M

MenInBrown

today was our first day using the RAL.
I had 200 total stops for the day and 18 were redirected from the post office. the interesting thing was that they were a single package for a single delivery. there wasn't any regular ground going to that address as was explained in the training.

I just had that happen for the first time this past friday.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
customers are demanding a cheaper delivery solution, and UPS had to do something to stop SmartPost from stealing all our residential volume. I still think Sure Post is genius because it keeps the packages in our network until the end, theoretically, keeping more people employed. I also am glad our technology is keeping up and adding these deliveries to existing delivery addresses. Customers seem to love it. I wish my choice could be updated to show surepost packages.

now if you really want to increase volume, we need to fix our time in transit issues and I hope that is part of the win-win of the new contract with the teamsters.

AKCoverMan

now if you really want to increase volume, we need to fix our time in transit issues and I hope that is part of the win-win of the new contract with the teamsters.

What are these "time in transit" issues of which you speak and how would the contract fix them? Maybe it is something in your area that we don't see here?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What are these "time in transit" issues of which you speak and how would the contract fix them? Maybe it is something in your area that we don't see here?

Well FedEx transit times are faster than ours. Not to mention they deliver on Saturdays. I have a whole exhaust system being drlivered Monday. If it was FedEx it would of been delivered Saturday at the latest.

AKCoverMan

Well FedEx transit times are faster than ours. Not to mention they deliver on Saturdays. I have a whole exhaust system being drlivered Monday. If it was FedEx it would of been delivered Saturday at the latest.

I know brand-X ground delivers on Saturdays but not on Mondays. In some instances I supposed that works well, on the other hand.. here we have a lot of business to business ground where if they shipped on Friday with brand-X ground the cnee would not get it until Tuesday becuase they are closed on Saturday. We have heard this complaint before from customers who switched to UPS.

Also they are probably upgrading some ground to air because more customers are realizing that the don't absolutly positively have to have it overnight and they have space on their airplanes. There have been some interesting stories about pilot contract buyouts etc going on over there.

I have not heard complaints about time in transit on ground here but then our "ground" has to move here by air anyway.. we often have it on the ground 1-2 days before it's committed.

AMTK54

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the reasons that FedEx can offer fast transit times is that they transport everything by feeders, while UPS sends a good amount of its long distance volume by rail. While yes, FedEx Home Delivery does deliver on Saturdays, even a commercial package (M-friend delivery only) can arrive faster between certain markets. But that's not really an issue that a contract change can fix.

tarbar66

That is definitely a major part of their financial issues but their operating infrastructure and number of employees are out of sync with their decreasing volume levels.

On an anticlimactic note, the post office in Climax, GA is closing on October 31st.

The PO in Climax,Pa. closed back in the 70's.

I had a IE Sup riding with me 1 day and he couldn't wait to see Climax.

EmraldArcher

I had packages on Friday that looked like they were Surepost packages re-captured for UPS delivery, the only PAL they had on them had the HIN for the post office stop but they were listed in my DIAD as separate stops.

beentheredonethat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the reasons that FedEx can offer fast transit times is that they transport everything by feeders, while UPS sends a good amount of its long distance volume by rail. While yes, FedEx Home Delivery does deliver on Saturdays, even a commercial package (M-friend delivery only) can arrive faster between certain markets. But that's not really an issue that a contract change can fix.

Sure it is, Have it in contract that UPS can take any portion of the current rail work and move them to gypsy drivers similar to how FDX does it right now. THe cost will be similar then rail and we will get pkgs delivered earlier.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Fed has a 26% TNT advantage over UPS on all GROUND packages (not just residential).

my hope is somehow we can find a win-win that we can move more volume via sleeper teams, speed up transit, something, but not break the bank to do it.

if you all don't know that, you should. we are losing profitable customer left and right because of poor TNT...don't blame management, don't blame the union. it's something that we need to fix together or we will keep losing ground market share and full time jobs.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What do I do as a driver to help fix time in transit? I leave the building 40 minutes later than I used to. As simple fix for that is a few more loaders and one more SPA person. Will never happen.

beentheredonethat

What do I do as a driver to help fix time in transit? I leave the building 40 minutes later than I used to. As simple fix for that is a few more loaders and one more SPA person. Will never happen.
It's not the delivery portion of the business that impacts TNT that is being discussed. It's the transportation portion. Specifically getting work on mileage\sleeper teams that are reasonable costs similar to what FDX pays. Currently teamsters do NOT get the TOFC work. There are cases where we need some of this TOFC work to move off railers utilizing gypsy drivers like what FDX uses to get the loads there in a shorter time and also without costing too much.

bumped

Ground is out delivering businesses 4-5 hours before I get to many businesses because of leaving the building much later now, air stops to do, and the sheer volume of extra business because of routes that were broken a couple years ago. Even if our time in transit was faster, it looks slower to the customer as some are getting their packages 2 hours before they leave for the day.