Suspension

adhawk

Yesterday after my pm route I was put on investigative suspension with pay due to some problems on my pm route. Any insight on what to expect, or what I should say or not say.

adhawk

Had a pick up my first stop enough boxes to fill 2 sprinters I told them I couldn't get it. They sent one guy we filled his sprinter then I left and told them I couldn't get the rest I just started my day I could not fill my truck on my first pickup. I told them to send the delivery driver over since he has a 900, he refused so I left because I could not process all packages without burning stops. So then they send me a message to go back and get them, so I said ok but now I will have late pickups and I did, but the thing was I told them at 12:30 I wouldn't fit it in my truck my route started at 3 they didn't plan anything just sat on there lazy asses doing nothing.

Purplepackage

Sounds like a classic lose lose situation. I can't see you are on "investigative suspension" though, reprimanded sure but a suspension?

Also when the delivery driver refused I would've called my sup directly and told him what was happening. Seems like every time someone does that at my station The guy that refused changes his tune

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Had a pick up my first stop enough boxes to fill 2 sprinters I told them I couldn't get it. They sent one guy we filled his sprinter then I left and told them I couldn't get the rest I just started my day I could not fill my truck on my first pickup. I told them to send the delivery driver over since he has a 900, he refused so I left because I could not process all packages without burning stops. So then they send me a message to go back and get them, so I said ok but now I will have late pickups and I did, but the thing was I told them at 12:30 I wouldn't fit it in my truck my route started at 3 they didn't plan anything just sat on there lazy asses doing nothing.

Fight it and tell the truth. You should be fine.

When something like that happens I call my manager, tell him exactly what is going on and tell him, when y'all figure it out, YOU tell me what you want me to do. That's a management problem to solve, not yours.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You didn't work as directed, as in staying there and just processing the packages and "burning stops". Sure, it was stupid, but that is what they were telling you to do...and you took matters into your own hands. All they have to say is that they would have covered your stops and that you "refused" work.

Please, let them be stupid and don't ever try to think for management. It is a lose/lose proposition. You'll probably get a letter, but next time just do exactly what they order you to do, even if it makes no sense at all. This removes the burden from you and places it where it belongs...on management.

overflowed

This is what they get for getting rid of all those trucks. Dumb idea.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Our sta. just lost a MAJOR acct. because of (I think) management stupidity. (w/o going into detail, similar situation)

fedex_rtd

As Mr. 7 has said before....WAD Work As Directed.

I would have asked for help first, and then BULKED out my truck, taken my sweet time back to the station and asked a manager to help me unload my truck or get me another one.

If this company wants to treat and pay you like a dumb package monkey....act like one!

hypo hanna

If it went down like OP says, it Sounds like dispatch error. If you get to a stop that normally has 10 boxes and they have 200, you should tell dispatch and they should send you onto the rest of your route. then they should arrange for another driver to get the bulk. That said, you sill need to work as directed even if you know its wrong. Make sure you sent a message and documented your concerns and there should be no problems.

bbsam

Staff member
Personally, I'd be torqued at the driver because I would have other plans in motion. If I told him to stay and get the bulk, I'd already have another driver or drivers enroute to handle the other pickups. Now if I have that plan in motion and the driver decides to leave the bulk stop after I told him to get it, well I'd suspend him too. Each person has a responsibility and there's a difference between being a team player and friend'ing everything up because you think you know better than everyone else.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Personally, I'd be torqued at the driver because I would have other plans in motion. If I told him to stay and get the bulk, I'd already have another driver or drivers enroute to handle the other pickups. Now if I have that plan in motion and the driver decides to leave the bulk stop after I told him to get it, well I'd suspend him too. Each person has a responsibility and there's a difference between being a team player and friend'ing everything up because you think you know better than everyone else.

I think you missed the part where he informed someone earlier in the day that the stop was going to bulk out his truck and then some. Nothing was done about it. He did what he thought best, incorrectly assuming that Dispatch or Management would take care of it. You can't fault the man for trying to take care of his customers. The fault was with Dispatch and Management.

Last edited:

STFXG

I think you missed the part where he informed someone earlier in the day that the stop was going to bulk out his truck and then some. Nothing was done about it. He did what he thought best, incorrectly assuming that Dispatch or Management would take care of it. You can't fault the man for trying to take care of his customers. The fault was with Dispatch and Management.
He works for the company, not the customers. WAD. It's a simple concept.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He works for the company, not the customers. WAD. It's a simple concept.

Yes, it is a simple concept. WAD is really a job insurance policy in cases such as the OP describes. As the quality of our management continues to deteriorate, we will be increasingly be ordered to do stupid things not in the best interests of either the operation or the customer.

Working as directed always gives you the advantage of saying "My manager told me to do this", so when the :censored2: hits the fan, it goes all over your manager, not you. Hypohanna makes a great point when she advises documenting anything that is questionable, so when the manager lies and says they ordered you to do something else, you have proof, not a pissing match over who said what.

WAD is your friend. Use it, along with some common sense.

overflowed

Just fill up the truck next time till you can't put another envelope and tell dispatch you're goin home because you can't fit no more. End of story, what can they say?