Swing Incentives??

whenIgetthere

The absolute worst job for someone new off the street is a swing, and it's no wonder they quit at even higher rates. A simple problem to deduce and then solve, but not for FedEx. It takes them years to recognize the obvious, and then even longer to take constructive action.

This extends to all avenues within the company...Dysfunction Junction.

On Saturday, I load a truck for one of our newbies who was has been on this route for a few weeks. They had her load her truck the first couple of weeks, yesterday she was on her normal offload sort position. She only had 20 stops in a 1330/1630 P1 commit area. I set them up in stop order, and she still had a melt down. She was still plotting the stops on her phone when I left.

MassWineGuy

Yes, I've noticed proactivety isn't in management's vocabulary... I've seen grown men off the street literally cry after 2 weeks of courier/drivers training and being thrown to the wolves on simple dra routes. Most of us went through it all at one point im sure, but its not for the weak willed. Shoot we can barely get part timers to cover baselines, end up absorbing them if they have p2. No shortage of hours for me then.

I cried after my three day courier school because it was taught so poorly that it would have been better to skip it and go straight to driving a route. I won't mention names (Webb in the Bostonian District's district hq).

I couldn't be a swing driver because I'd go insane having different routes each day. The OP is very undervalued. I make 18.90/hour after two years.

swinginthewind

I cried after my three day courier school because it was taught so poorly that it would have been better to skip it and go straight to driving a route. I won't mention names (Webb in the Bostonian District's district hq).

I couldn't be a swing driver because I'd go insane having different routes each day. The OP is very undervalued. I make 18.90/hour after two years.

I get bored on the same route now that I've done everything lol. Smaller station maybe 50 routes. Id guess you're in a higher market level than I am.

!Retired!

An extra dollar or two more an hour would be a good start... 17.18 an hour currently after 5 years, starting to feel a tad undervalued...
Our SM told us the bump will become somewhere in the 2.00-2.50/hr more than the regular pay.
133% turnover? So for every 3 that they hired they had to hire an additional 4?
Correct. Current swing drivers take FT routes and the ones they hire off the street quit. Thus, we're losing more swings than we hire.

whenIgetthere

Which is ridiculous, I make 18 and change after sixteen years! And yes, Webb is one the most annoying people I have ever met.

BootsOnTarmac

So this person has been identified by last name and work location with derogatory comments by posters on this public forum. Nice job! How would you like this to happen to you? Where are the Mods on this site?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So this person has been identified by last name and work location with derogatory comments by posters on this public forum. Nice job! How would you like this to happen to you? Where are the Mods on this site?
All you have to do is click on "report" under the post, fill it out and the post will magically disappear.

!Retired!

Which is ridiculous, I make 18 and change after sixteen years! And yes, Webb is one the most annoying people I have ever met.
What market is MassWineGuy and what market are you in? That might account for the difference. I'm in Denver and, with 16+ years, I'm over $23.

My courier class teacher (NYC) told us up front that her class was 'Mr Rogers Neighborhood'. She was going to teach us the 'correct' way of doing things and that things would be different once we get out in the 'real world'.

swinginthewind

Our SM told us the bump will become somewhere in the 2.00-2.50/hr more than the regular pay.

Correct. Current swing drivers take FT routes and the ones they hire off the street quit. Thus, we're losing more swings than we hire.

I pray you're right, moral is getting frightfully low, not with just our swing work group, that's been in the toilet, but our entire station. Id assume 2 to 2.50 increase an hour would be people in B markets, which is how it is sounding for us. Guess well just have to wait until the charts are official

Purplepackage

I pray you're right, moral is getting frightfully low, not with just our swing work group, that's been in the toilet, but our entire station. Id assume 2 to 2.50 increase an hour would be people in B markets, which is how it is sounding for us. Guess well just have to wait until the charts are official

Supposedly we will find out tomorrow, according to my manager that's when the new step plan is released?

A guy who's been here 2 years just got a swing spot bumped him up to 18.25, I believe I'm market level E third lowest I think

whenIgetthere

What market is MassWineGuy and what market are you in? That might account for the difference. I'm in Denver and, with 16+ years, I'm over $23.

MWG is in an H market I believe, I am in a B market. I know that's the reason for the difference, I used to work in his market years ago.

Swngdrvr

I only became a swing because it was the fastest way to full time. If I had known what it was truly like, I would have stayed PT nights and continued to eat up AM overtime hours. $.30/hour isn't worth it. Add that to the fact that less than half of the (22) swings at my station have any idea what they are doing. Those of us that do get used and abused.