Swing Premium

swinginthewind

Dra is where it's at!!! My station doesn't have it...new kids on the block use route for me..

I wish Fedex put more emphasis on that paper maps and map reading in general. DRA def is a nice tool for new cats and the routes im not 100% map in the head on, but its just a tool and still have to be able to follow a map. A crummy one at that, most still cant do it

Express Courier

Eh its not too bad once you get around to knowing your entire station area, I get moved around a ton but my managers usually take care of me and I take care of the work that needs done. Been a swing for 4 years would love to have been at step 4 but ill take this hefty 8% raise im getting and hold on to the hope that Fedex cant/won't go back on the step systemy
I was a swing for several years. I was not a fan of one day starting at 6AM and then 8AM the next. One day being off at 1600 then 1830 the next. Or the good old you are going to be on a nice route and then a sick call comes in and they need you to cover that. :censored2: that :censored2:. Fred can shove that extra dollar up his ass.

whatwhat

I talked to my manager and they said that during the pay conference call that swing pay was mentioned. The turnover for swings is 133%, which is obviously too high. They said that they are going to address it, but didnt say with what. Management thinks its going to be $1-$2 more an hour, we shall see.

SmithBarney

Our senior said the same to me, I'm not a swing, and have no interest in it, but they are having serious talks about swing compensation changes..

I talked to my manager and they said that during the pay conference call that swing pay was mentioned. The turnover for swings is 133%, which is obviously too high. They said that they are going to address it, but didnt say with what. Management thinks its going to be $1-$2 more an hour, we shall see.

Purplepackage

lol :censored2: swing life. I like knowing what time I will be waking up each day and what time i'll be off. OH and what route I'll be doing and where I can grab a bite to eat or grab a shady spot to chill on my break.

I've been a swing almost my entire career here, I always know when I start each..sort time. Been punching in at sort start no matter the route since as long as I can remember

Swngdrvr

I always start with everyone else. Even if I have no sort position, my manager will find something for me to do. Traffic is a nightmare for me to try to get there at 8. Rumor is my SM is going to try to make quite a few routes mid-day routes. Not looking forward to that.

Express Courier

I've been a swing almost my entire career here, I always know when I start each..sort time. Been punching in at sort start no matter the route since as long as I can remember
Congrats on your great swing life, seriously. We have never had enough swings at my sta imo. For the most part I would start at whatever time the route I'm covering started. Some days that would be 6 some days 8. Or some days they would have me come in and cover FO or topside or the sort and then do a route. I was a good little swing and they used me like I was. If I blew through someone's route and tried to get off early, there was about a 95% chance dispatch was not going to let me clear because so and so needs help etc. I aint about that life.

McFeely

Huge Member
Rumor is my SM is going to try to make quite a few routes mid-day routes. Not looking forward to that.

We have swings in my station come in to do FOs or P1 overflow, then go on 4 hour breaks until they start a pickup route at 3. They wind up working 7 hours on the clock, but being stuck in a FedEx truck/uniform for a good 11-12 hours a day.

Just one more reason why I won't sign up to be a swing.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Top out for swings at our station was revealed to be $2/hr more than courier. Pay grade same as dispatchers. Stepping down will cost at least that much. Just another good reason to avoid the position.

swinginthewind

We have swings in my station come in to do FOs or P1 overflow, then go on 4 hour breaks until they start a pickup route at 3. They wind up working 7 hours on the clock, but being stuck in a FedEx truck/uniform for a good 11-12 hours a day.

That's crazy... I never allow myself to end up split shift, just make sure managers know I need the work. Can't say never I suppose, I have done it just to get a few hours of fishing in at the local river ;)

Purplepackage

Congrats on your great swing life, seriously. We have never had enough swings at my sta imo. For the most part I would start at whatever time the route I'm covering started. Some days that would be 6 some days 8. Or some days they would have me come in and cover FO or topside or the sort and then do a route. I was a good little swing and they used me like I was. If I blew through someone's route and tried to get off early, there was about a 95% chance dispatch was not going to let me clear because so and so needs help etc. I aint about that life.

I truly can't complain about my Fedex life in general, I've watched some really :censored2:ed up stuff happen to good people but for the most part I haven't had it bad. I always felt like route drivers get it the worst

Purplepackage

That's crazy... I never allow myself to end up split shift, just make sure managers know I need the work. Can't say never I suppose, I have done it just to get a few hours of fishing in at the local river ;)

We are 1 in the same, when they would schedule me for a split i would just take p2 from that one guy that always wants to get done by 1

Star B

White Lightening
Swings are the bitches at my station. Not enough handlers? Schedule a swing to arrive with the first handlers in the door....

Not enough couriers? Go grab the Swing that's doing FO, split a P1 route with another swing, and have an entire P2 route also....

I believe whole heartily believe that my manager, if he could, would do more for us swings in terms of compensation and perks because of the BS we deal with.

Purplepackage

Swings are the bitches at my station. Not enough handlers? Schedule a swing to arrive with the first handlers in the door....

Not enough couriers? Go grab the Swing that's doing FO, split a P1 route with another swing, and have an entire P2 route also....

I believe whole heartily believe that my manager, if he could, would do more for us swings in terms of compensation and perks because of the BS we deal with.

I will gladly run FO/p1 drive back to building load up and run p2 there have been days where I've even done a pup route after the p2 sounds like a nice 2-3 hours OT to me

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Nobody at my station has heard about anything that may be done for swings. Has anyone heard anything else?
Why yes - the company is TALKING about higher compensation for swing drivers. TALKING about it........hmm, how does that old saying about "talk" go again?

HedleyLamarr

I actually did this a couple of months ago,and it really wasn't bad for me since I live just a few miles from my station. Just went home during my 3.5 hour break. Not a swing driver, but if a manager asks if I'm willing to come help out in the mornings, I usually will.