The amount UPS paid for my health insurance dropped by $11000.00 from 2013 to 2014

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
UPS paid premiums for the whole year in 2013.
They only paid the premiums in 2014 up until you were switched to Teamcare.
That is your difference shown on the W2.
This is not true. UPS is still paying our health insurance premiums, they just are not administering the plan.

bbsam

Staff member
The ACA, Obamacare, is the door to single payer. Eventually that may be modestly good for most Americans. What is certain is that it will be a windfall for corporate America.
Or did UPS send you a bonus check of $11,000?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The ACA, Obamacare, is the door to single payer. Eventually that may be modestly good for most Americans. What is certain is that it will be a windfall for corporate America.
Everything related to Healthcare ... gotcha.

That has certainly been true to date.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
This is not true. UPS is still paying our health insurance premiums, they just are not administering the plan.
UPS is not paying your premiums. They are paying a contracted amount to your union so the union can provide health insurance to you.
You will notice that next year box 12 of your W-2 will show zero.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And then some. Welfare checks get spent in the economy 100% of the time.
Much of that does not go to Corporations tills. Mom and Pop stores and small/medium businesses get a lot of the consumer money.

Then there is the case of direct Welfare to Corporations to encourage behavior or quid pro quo for lobbyist funds.

bbsam

Staff member
Much of that does not go to Corporations tills. Mom and Pop stores and small/medium businesses get a lot of the consumer money.

Then there is the case of direct Welfare to Corporations to encourage behavior or quid pro quo for lobbyist funds.
Disproportionately funnels up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Disproportionately funnels up.
Hmmm ... I know quite a few small business owners and self-employed business owners and all of their profit margins are well above 10%.
Very few Corporations have profit margins greater than 10%.
I'm not sure I follow you point.

bbsam

Staff member
Hmmm ... I know quite a few small business owners and self-employed business owners and all of their profit margins are well above 10%.
Very few Corporations have profit margins greater than 10%.
I'm not sure I follow you point.
Percentages mislead. Why not just say that 9% isn't high unemployment? Isn't something around 5% considered full employment? It's only 4 points higher....

Because the sheer number involved is staggering. Mom and pop shops making 10% seems good. Can't put that on par with Walmart at 4%.

Or consider Fedex Ground. If they grow at 8% this year compared to 14% ten years ago, which is more concerning to UPS? Probably the 8% because the 8% this year compared to last year most likely represents a much higher market share than the 14% YOY of 11 years ago.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Percentages mislead. Why not just say that 9% isn't high unemployment? Isn't something around 5% considered full employment? It's only 4 points higher....

Because the sheer number involved is staggering. Mom and pop shops making 10% seems good. Can't put that on par with Walmart at 4%.

Or consider Fedex Ground. If they grow at 8% this year compared to 14% ten years ago, which is more concerning to UPS? Probably the 8% because the 8% this year compared to last year most likely represents a much higher market share than the 14% YOY of 11 years ago.

If a Corporation is only getting a 4% Return on Investment, it has crucial operating issues. That's why one of the last Mom and Pop stores that can consistently compete are grocery stores whose competition corporations have an OR around 96 - 97.
Walmart is a different animal because they own very little of the merchandise on their shelves.

Huh?
Operating Margin or Profit margin are not related to year to year growth or market share.

Inthegame

UPS is not paying your premiums. They are paying a contracted amount to your union so the union can provide health insurance to you.
You will notice that next year box 12 of your W-2 will show zero.
They pay a contracted amount to the H&W plan. They do not remit anything but deducted dues to the union.