The information campaign

Go to bed and get some sleep.You need your rest for loading all those boxes tonight.

Why not just set the facts straight then:

I make about $29hr
Have medical paid for the family
Have 5 weeks vacation (6 after 20 ft years)
4 paid otional days off a year
6 paid sick days a year
6 paid holidays a year (i think it is)
and will have about $4000 pension every month.

If you don't think you are worth that, just say so.

FedEX 4 Life

Why not just set the facts straight then:

I make about $29hr
Have medical paid for the family
Have 5 weeks vacation (6 after 20 ft years)
4 paid otional days off a year
6 paid sick days a year
6 paid holidays a year (i think it is)
and will have about $4000 pension every month.

If you don't think you are worth that, just say so.
Wow,I had no idea loaders made that much.Thats great!

FedEx courier

You're implying that RLA covered companies don't have freedom of choice which is simply not true. And raises cost far, far more than a few million dollars.

Regardless of that and whether you agree with it or not, companies often spend money defending themselves when giving in would actually be cheaper. Sometimes it's a matter of principle and sometimes it's an investment in the future, among other things.

FedEx knows that it is impossible for employees to organize under the RLA thats why they are fighting it so hard. You are talking about employees being able to pull off a nationwide vote in a couple of days. It is impossible to do and they know it. That is why the sales reps sell that Express can never go on strike and thats why UPS is pissed about it. I wouldn't want "my" company to fight a decietful fight that was against one of my rights. Yeah it would hurt the "company" if you consider the interests of the people at the top of the "company" the "company.

The company should do the right thing and be able to show the employees that they don't need a Union by paying competitive wages and showing that there is a fair system to address your complaints. They would rather spend millions of dollars fighting to make sure you don't have the right to seek collective bargaining rights provide something fair like that. That is a tell all situation. Saying that employees at Express could Unionize if they wanted under the RLA is very misleading and is basically a quote from Maury Lane to try and convince people that FedEx isn't anti-union. FedEx is the one that made the RLA status an issue when it was originally dropped in 95. FedEx is the only pickup/delivery company classified under the RLA.

FedEX 4 Life

I was working inside 6pm-3am. Somewhat true. I am a driver now.
Uh Oh....

I work Monday night through Saturday morning. By your premise, I should also be in for the 6 day theory. It doesn't work that way. You have 5 punches in a week.
You made that post a little over a week ago.So let me get this straight.1 week ago you were a loader,working over night loading boxes.
1 week later you are telling me that you are now a driver?

Hmmmmm.Care to explain that?

Uh Oh....

You made that post a little over a week ago.So let me get this straight.1 week ago you were a loader,working over night loading boxes.

Tells me you obviously don't have a clue how UPS works.

quadro

it simply IS true. Unless I am mistaken, which is possible, you know as well as I that FedExpress cannot become union due to it's right-to-work counterparts that would nearly outright refuse unionization ( as is the REASON for those states which are optional). Period. It is my observation that Express cannot unionize locally because of this RLA exemption. It is, in laymens terms, all or nothing, or am I wrong?

I also disagree that this campaign costs more than a "few million". Do you know the cost offhand, to a T? I certainly wouldn't venture a guess, considering lobbying money and etc. I am pretty sure you couldn't give a number either and feel comfortable what FedEx is actually blowing .
I won't say your are mistaken but I will say you are misinformed. FedEx absolutely can become union under the RLA. You are correct about local unionization as it is all or nothing. However, right to work really has little to do with it. Right to work simply means you cannot be forced to join a union or pay membership dues. If you are not going to vote union under RLA, you most likely are not going to vote union under NLRA.

The big difference is that under RLA, you have to have a majority of the employees voting for the union and that won't happen at FedEx. If it would, you can bet that a vote would already have happened.

You are correct, I don't know exact $$ amounts but I can figure out how much a raise costs and I will go out on a limb and say that FedEx is not spending anywhere near that much on this.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I won't say your are mistaken but I will say you are misinformed. FedEx absolutely can become union under the RLA. You are correct about local unionization as it is all or nothing. However, right to work really has little to do with it. Right to work simply means you cannot be forced to join a union or pay membership dues. If you are not going to vote union under RLA, you most likely are not going to vote union under NLRA.

The big difference is that under RLA, you have to have a majority of the employees voting for the union and that won't happen at FedEx. If it would, you can bet that a vote would already have happened.

You are correct, I don't know exact $$ amounts but I can figure out how much a raise costs and I will go out on a limb and say that FedEx is not spending anywhere near that much on this.

Thank you for an honest, rational answer. I still feel right to work implies a conservative approach, which also implies that any company as large as FedEx that is covered under the RLA, is limited due to the fact it is impossible to get a union voted in because of the states that are right-to-work due to a conservative anti-union base.

This is all in laymens and I will admit to not being an expert on the subject.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Uh Oh....

I was working M-friend 6pm-3am. The Fridays ran into Saturday despite "M-friend". (Friday 6pm- Saturday 3am)

Yes, last week I was a "Loader" as you call it. actually, was clerical-small sort combination job, not loading anything. But yes, was an inside hourly.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the UPS and union process, including job bids and switching centers/"stations"/ buildings. I do not want to get into it, because you will just troll whatever info I give you, but there is plenty of job flexibility depending on the region of UPS and local union you work under.

FedEX 4 Life

I was working M-friend 6pm-3am. The Fridays ran into Saturday despite "M-friend". (Friday 6pm- Saturday 3am)

Yes, last week I was a "Loader" as you call it. actually, was clerical-small sort combination job, not loading anything. But yes, was an inside hourly.
I didnt know you guys can switch back and forth as a loader and driver.Do you guys keep the same pay when moving aorund like that?

I wish Fedex had something like that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I didnt know you guys can switch back and forth as a loader and driver.Do you guys keep the same pay when moving aorund like that?

That depends on the region and the contract/supplement between UPS and your union local. I can only speak for around here.

Drivers make just under 30/hr, inside makes just under 24/hr. There are some inside only jobs that pay the 30/hr though, generally held by high-seniority people. So to work inside you take the paycut unless you have plenty of juice.

quadro

Thank you for an honest, rational answer. I still feel right to work implies a conservative approach, which also implies that any company as large as FedEx that is covered under the RLA, is limited due to the fact it is impossible to get a union voted in because of the states that are right-to-work due to a conservative anti-union base.

This is all in laymens and I will admit to not being an expert on the subject.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but really, I don't think the right to work has anything to do with it. At least not in the sense you are looking at it. Also, I think you'll find that a higher percentage of RLA covered employees are, in fact, union versus the number of NLRA covered employees. Arguments can be made as to why this is but the fact remains that RLA employees can and often do vote to have union representation.

Broke

Fedex absolutely cannot become union under the RLA. Fedex is the only company to have over 100,000 employees classified under the RLA.The airlines and railroads that are unionized have nowhere near that many employees classified under the RLA.Just say the union began an organizing campaign nationwide, all Fred would have to do is give the larger market locations (Chicago, New York city,L.A., Indianapolis) a raise and the drive would essentiatly be defeated and the rest of us would continue to get screwed. Don't try to pretend we all actually have a choice because we don't.

quadro

Fedex absolutely cannot become union under the RLA. Fedex is the only company to have over 100,000 employees classified under the RLA.The airlines and railroads that are unionized have nowhere near that many employees classified under the RLA.Just say the union began an organizing campaign nationwide, all Fred would have to do is give the larger market locations (Chicago, New York city,L.A., Indianapolis) a raise and the drive would essentiatly be defeated and the rest of us would continue to get screwed. Don't try to pretend we all actually have a choice because we don't.
I beg to differ but the law says they can become union. Whether or not it is practical is another issue but as I said, FedEx employees have a legal right to unionize even under the RLA.

A union has to show what, a 35% interest under RLA and then 50%+1 of the employees in a craft or class have to vote yes. As no-one got a raise this year, why hasn't a union taken advantage of the larger markets and gotten that 35% interest? Either that interest isn't there even without the pay raise or they don't feel that they can then get the 50%+1. Either way, that says the majority of employees are not interested in a union. Or at least that's what the unions believe.

The number of employees is somewhat irrelevant. Airlines with smaller workforces still had to have that same 35% interest and 50%+1 vote. Obviously in those cases, enough employees felt it was the right thing for them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I beg to differ but the law says they can become union. Whether or not it is practical is another issue but as I said, FedEx employees have a legal right to unionize even under the RLA.

A union has to show what, a 35% interest under RLA and then 50%+1 of the employees in a craft or class have to vote yes. As no-one got a raise this year, why hasn't a union taken advantage of the larger markets and gotten that 35% interest? Either that interest isn't there even without the pay raise or they don't feel that they can then get the 50%+1. Either way, that says the majority of employees are not interested in a union. Or at least that's what the unions believe.

The number of employees is somewhat irrelevant. Airlines with smaller workforces still had to have that same 35% interest and 50%+1 vote. Obviously in those cases, enough employees felt it was the right thing for them.

Fred obviously feels keeping us under the RLA is very important, or he wouldn't be fighting re-classification so hard, and spending so much money twisting arms and buying votes. It is possible, although highly unlikely, that we would ever go union under the RLA. For one, it's an all or nothing deal. You can't have a union station in Los Angeles and a non-union station in Little Rock. Secondly, the right-to-work states are traditionally conservative and highly anti-union...Fred also know this. Why do you fools continue to think that Fred has any interest at all in you other than continuing to extract maximum effort and productivity from you for minimal pay? Are you that stupid? Maybe so...

As many have said before, if FedEx is such a GREAT company, why is Fred so afraid of having his company have an actual chance to vote-in a union? That's because he knowswe would go Teamster...he is scared *********.

Broke

I know what the law says but it's not possible for Fedex Express drivers, sorters,handlers,csa's,and vehicle mechanics to organize under the RLA and you know that.

You don't think the number of employees is relevant? What have you been smoking? I can't believe someone would be dumb enough to think that organizing 2,000 or 3,000 pilots would be no different than organizing 100,000 employees from several different job classifications spread out all over the country.

FedEX 4 Life

I know what the law says but it's not possible for Fedex Express drivers, sorters,handlers,csa's,and vehicle mechanics to organize under the RLA and you know that.

You don't think the number of employees is relevant? What have you been smoking? I can't believe someone would be dumb enough to think that organizing 2,000 or 3,000 pilots would be no different than organizing 100,000 employees from several different job classifications spread out all over the country.
If everyone at Fedex was pissed and hated thier job,fedex would have gone union long ago_Obviously thats not the case,you're to much of a maroon to see that.If you are so upset at making $15.29 an hour why dont you just quit.Its not like Fedex forced you into your job.