Then and now....

AB831

What an idiotic comment. I worked at Express for 12 years as a courier. You could do the job for 100 years and retire in one piece. It’s an envelope and 3 pound box job. It’s not even remotely close to the job of a UPS package driver. That’s a ten year job. That’s a job where if you make it to retirement you’re completely broken down. FedEx Express courier ten year job lolol. What’s so hard about delivering a crate full of envelopes.? Lolol. And when I worked at Express, Ground wasn’t what it was today. The job has to be even easier now. Everything must go Ground now. Ground wasn’t anywhere near the established arm of company it must be now.
Ah, yes the old “mine’s longer than yours because I delivered boxes for a different company” argument.

vantexan

What an idiotic comment. I worked at Express for 12 years as a courier. You could do the job for 100 years and retire in one piece. It’s an envelope and 3 pound box job. It’s not even remotely close to the job of a UPS package driver. That’s a ten year job. That’s a job where if you make it to retirement you’re completely broken down. FedEx Express courier ten year job lolol. What’s so hard about delivering a crate full of envelopes.? Lolol. And when I worked at Express, Ground wasn’t what it was today. The job has to be even easier now. Everything must go Ground now. Ground wasn’t anywhere near the established arm of company it must be now.
Before there was Ground we at Express drove the big stepvans and delivered a lot of heavy bulk. I started at 24 and was breaking down at 54. Real problems with my knees.

Stat41

Been doing this job for almost 30 years. Both of my knees have issues. Every one and every route is different. I will concede that generally UPS is the tougher job because of the smaller route areas and higher package volumes. I will be retiring in the near future, but the job does take its toll eventually for both of us.

bacha29

I’m repeating what I’ve been repeating for years. Why keep employees for 30 years on a job that wipes them out in 10?
Having destroyed their bodies making somebody else rich and are then jettisoned back out into the economy in a no longer employable state but decades away from full retirement. I guess that's perfectly ok in the eyes of some employers provided that they can continue to hide behind the dirty laundry called "business".

ManInBrown

Ah, yes the old “mine’s longer than yours because I delivered boxes for a different company” argument.
Not at all. Responded to a comment from a Ground Employee who said why would Express want 30 year employees when after ten years they are broken down from the job. That is not true. I did both. Comparing a FedEx courier to a UPS package driver is like comparing a cashier at Walgreens to someone working on a Deadliest Catch crab boat. That’s a fact. I did both jobs. They are not the same job physically. The wear and tear on the body at UPS as a package driver is unbelievable. Stepping off the package car and stepping back on 350 times a day. Bulk stops. 50 thirty five pound boxes going to six different schools on a route at the end of summer when schools are gearing up for the new year. At FedEx those packages don’t go thru Express. They go Ground. The jobs are Not even close.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Before there was Ground we at Express drove the big stepvans and delivered a lot of heavy bulk. I started at 24 and was breaking down at 54. Real problems with my knees.
Exactly my point. When I left Express, Ground wasn’t what it is today. So the job has gotten even easier on the body over the years. I’m not putting anyone down. I was just responding to a comment that Express breaks the body down after ten years. That’s laughable.

ManInBrown

The comment I responded to was talking about current day FedEx. Not 25 years ago. Not before Ground was what it is today. Obviously the job was different pre Ground.

vantexan

Having destroyed their bodies making somebody else rich and are then jettisoned back out into the economy in a no longer employable state but decades away from full retirement. I guess that's perfectly ok in the eyes of some employers provided that they can continue to hide behind the dirty laundry called "business".
Actually senior couriers work their way into physically easier routes. People quit over pay. They don't because 10 years has worn them out.

bacha29

Actually senior couriers work their way into physically easier routes. People quit over pay. They don't because 10 years has worn them out.
Obviously you never spent any time over at Ground where what you're doing the first day you're there is the same thing you're doing the last day you're there.

vantexan

Obviously you never spent any time over at Ground where what you're doing the first day you're there is the same thing you're doing the last day you're there.
But y'all were saying Express couriers are worn out after 10 years. Sure, if they started at 45.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think the Express guy I ran into all the time ever worked past 2 maybe 3 o'clock all the time I knew him. He used to enjoy parking in front of me and waiting until I was sitting in the drivers seat then he would open his back door and point to the 3 or 4 envelopes he had left to deliver ---then he would laugh his ass off. On a few occasions (3 or 4 at the most) if I wanted off earlier than normal on a Friday he would take a couple chasers off me and save me 20-30 miles of dirt roads. He even came to my retirement party and gave me a FedEx tee-shirt as a gift. :-)

MAKAVELI

Not at all. Responded to a comment from a Ground Employee who said why would Express want 30 year employees when after ten years they are broken down from the job. That is not true. I did both. Comparing a FedEx courier to a UPS package driver is like comparing a cashier at Walgreens to someone working on a Deadliest Catch crab boat. That’s a fact. I did both jobs. They are not the same job physically. The wear and tear on the body at UPS as a package driver is unbelievable. Stepping off the package car and stepping back on 350 times a day. Bulk stops. 50 thirty five pound boxes going to six different schools on a route at the end of summer when schools are gearing up for the new year. At FedEx those packages don’t go thru Express. They go Ground. The jobs are Not even close.
You have combo drivers that take the punishment now. I know plenty of regular drivers that don't do near the work they used to.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
That's what these guys told me and what I observed.
I guess things could be different but around here we are getting our :censored2: beat daily. If anything, I’d say some of the 22.4’s get an easier day due to no area knowledge and just not being that seasoned yet. When I say easier, probably just a house route with no airs and no PUs.

MAKAVELI

I guess things could be different but around here we are getting our * beat daily. If anything, I’d say some of the 22.4’s get an easier day due to no area knowledge and just not being that seasoned yet. When I say easier, probably just a house route with no airs and no PUs.
Could be just different in this area. They did say that because the combo drivers don't have overtime protections they're loading them up but at the same time they didn't expect that to last forever.