Then and now....

Mutineer

How long are Ground's 'growing pains' going to be tolerated, in your opinion?

I think that's what Amazon is banking on to enter the market.
Every shipper I've worked for has never ending growing pains. There's always a shortage of something. People, vans, parts, parking, belts, and before you know it the building is too small.
And how many salesman refer to contractor employed deliverymen as "our drivers" when delivering their sales pitch? I've heard it used often.
Watch a news report when an XG driver is caught doing something illegal, immoral, or stupid. Sometimes all three of those kinds of things in one swoop!
And how quickly and vehemently FedEx corporate distances itself by emphatically pointing out that "the driver is employed by an independent service provider." Or other such weasel-words.

When an XG driver saves a child from a burning building or swimming pool, FedEx corporate gushes lies like: "FedEx family", "tight knit" "caring" "FedEx strong" and "our drivers."

LMAO!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Watch a news report when an XG driver is caught doing something illegal, immoral, or stupid. Sometimes all three of those kinds of things in one swoop!
And how quickly and vehemently FedEx corporate distances itself by emphatically pointing out that "the driver is employed by an independent service provider." Or other such weasel-words.

When an XG driver saves a child from a burning building or swimming pool, FedEx corporate gushes lies like: "FedEx family", "tight knit" "caring" "FedEx strong" and "our drivers."

LMAO!
Ain't that the truth.

The company mission is only to LOOK good than do good.

Working4the1%

“Amazon plans to have make its first deliveries with the vehicles by 2021 and have all of the new trucks on the road by 2030.”

Oh no, in 9 years they might have these vehicles produced and on the road. I guess we’re all fired. It was a good run.
The ground scam is in trouble ..https://www.freightwaves.com/news/biden-administration-kills-trump-rule-on-independent-contractor-classification/amp

bbsam

Staff member
The ground scam is in trouble ..https://www.freightwaves.com/news/biden-administration-kills-trump-rule-on-independent-contractor-classification/amp
I don’t see how you come up with your conclusion. The Trump rule never went into place. In other words, everything is exactly as it has been for the entire time that you’ve been here saying the Ground is in trouble.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I take it you agree with me but don’t want to admit it. That’s ok.
Uh, no.

exasperated.jpg

Mutineer

Ain't that the truth.

The company mission is only to LOOK good than do good.
To be fair, that's been near the top of the list, company missions of everywhere I've ever worked.
But of my personal experiences, the two worst offenders by far are tied for that dubious distinction:
The United States Navy, and FedEx. Those two by far have induced in me many more eyerolls, TUIMM, and ironic fits of laughter than everywhere else combined.

bacha29

Every shipper I've worked for has never ending growing pains. There's always a shortage of something. People, vans, parts, parking, belts, and before you know it the building is too small.

LMAO!
Had a situation like that at the terminal I was at. A contractor employed driver helped a guy battle the flames when his house caught on fire until the firemen arrived. Fedex smoked that PR stogie right down to the lips. Happy to say that neither the contractor or contractor employed driver allowed themselves to get caught up in the game. They simply blew Fat Freddy off and went out and drove their routes.

Mutineer

Bay window, oak trim. Bulging wallet full of bonuses for the drivers. And a nice coffee cup from some sorta' hippie cafe. Did yer woman buy it? Women looove to blow money on stupid trinkets like that. But it's fun to watch her do a happy wiggle when she finds cute stuff to waste money on. So it's worth it.

Why's there a FedEx van in yer driveway? Didja' invite yer favorite driver over for a line of coke and a three-way? As a reward for a productive day of making you money? I see many things that strongly indicate you'd be a great contractor to drive for!

Maybe someday when I'm poor, destitute, and looking for a job I'll come buzzin' up round yer hive.

bbsam

Staff member
Bay window, oak trim. Bulging wallet full of bonuses for the drivers. And a nice coffee cup from some sorta' hippie cafe. Did yer woman buy it? Women looove to blow money on stupid trinkets like that. But it's fun to watch her do a happy wiggle when she finds cute stuff to waste money on. So it's worth it.

Why's there a FedEx van in yer driveway? Didja' invite yer favorite driver over for a line of coke and a three-way? As a reward for a productive day of making you money? I see many things that strongly indicate you'd be a great contractor to drive for!

Maybe someday when I'm poor, destitute, and looking for a job I'll come buzzin' up round yer hive.
AF16CE1F-ACEE-4AE9-85E6-17EFFAA4699C.jpeg

it’s a local “pay what you can” restaurant for people who are “food insecure”. My wife and I donate to them quite a bit. When you’re poor and destitute it’s a great place to stop by. Absolutely no pressure to put anything if you can’t. You can volunteer to help in the kitchen but don’t have to do that either. Food’s top notch and mostly locally sourced. I guess Bon Jovi has started several and others are springing up around the country.
That was an Express van delivering my wife’s rheumatoid arthritis medication.
Don’t know much about the bay window except that our golden retriever likes to lay in it.

bbsam

Staff member

View attachment 332550
it’s a local “pay what you can” restaurant for people who are “food insecure”. My wife and I donate to them quite a bit. When you’re poor and destitute it’s a great place to stop by. Absolutely no pressure to put anything if you can’t. You can volunteer to help in the kitchen but don’t have to do that either. Food’s top notch and mostly locally sourced. I guess Bon Jovi has started several and others are springing up around the country.
Don’t know much about the bay window except that our golden retriever likes to lay in it.
I gotta say, there’s a world of difference between your fantasy and my reality. And though yours does have a certain devilish appeal that may have been a real possibility years ago, I think I’ll stick with my simple existence. Not because of any moral fortitude, it’s just that I’m old and way too tired for the fast lane. Maybe when the kids are all out of the house some day I’ll treat myself to a weekend of hookers and blow but for now, nah.

Mutineer

View attachment 332550
Across the street a few feet to the right of the fire hydrant looks like it might be a "For Sale" sign. If so, did the sign appear soon after you moved in? Maybe a rival contractor will empty out a trailer park, buy that house, and convert it into a rest home for your former drivers. So they can all heckle you.

I gotta say, there’s a world of difference between your fantasy and my reality.
...and intentionally so. Any semblance to reality was likely dashed as soon as I mentioned 'wallet full of bonuses for the drivers.'
Those papers under the wallet. Work stuff? Cargo claims, tracers, customer complaints and disputed deliveries, compliance inquiries and demands...

There was a shipper. They used to file alot of spurious cargo claims. When I was green and before I caught on, I paid alot of money to them. Not to mention time and resources chasing down their nonsense. My suspicions were absolutely confirmed when I delivered one of their boxes, in person to my own dad. And two weeks later, the shipper filed a claim on it!

I calmly presented my evidence and many of the prior cargo claims to the TM, contractor relations, and everyone I knew.
I also made it very clear to the shipper that I was onto their scam. I don't think they ever filed a claim at my terminal ever again.

bbsam

Staff member
Across the street a few feet to the right of the fire hydrant looks like it might be a "For Sale" sign. If so, did the sign appear soon after you moved in? Maybe a rival contractor will empty out a trailer park, buy that house, and convert it into a rest home for your former drivers. So they can all heckle you.

...and intentionally so. Any semblance to reality was likely dashed as soon as I mentioned 'wallet full of bonuses for the drivers.'
Those papers under the wallet. Work stuff? Cargo claims, tracers, customer complaints and disputed deliveries, compliance inquiries and demands...

There was a shipper. They used to file alot of spurious cargo claims. When I was green and before I caught on, I paid alot of money to them. Not to mention time and resources chasing down their nonsense. My suspicions were absolutely confirmed when I delivered one of their boxes, in person to my own dad. And two weeks later, the shipper filed a claim on it!

I calmly presented my evidence and many of the prior cargo claims to the TM, contractor relations, and everyone I knew.
I also made it very clear to the shipper that I was onto their scam. I don't think they ever filed a claim at my terminal ever again.
What’s wrong with you? I don’t keep drivers long enough for them to end up in a rest home? Haven’t you been paying attention?

You haven’t been around for awhile have you? We don’t pay claims anymore. And all those disputes etc. I leave for BCs to deal with. The papers you saw were probably scratch paper I use for setting up routes the night before. I could probably have someone else do it but I’ve kinda come to enjoy it. Like an after dinner crossword puzzle.