Things that make you go hmmmmm...

brownIEman

247852342_916996282583789_670777013019343223_n.jpg

Better not bigger indeed.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Bezos needs to follow suit and lower the bar like the rest of us. It's a race to the bottom with no more commit times and sub-par service. He will figure it out sooner or later.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
but all we want to do in reportback is talk about stock price, like that isn't an easily manipulated number

meanwhile i can think of a half dozen buildings off the top of my head (probably dozens in the country) that will be loading packages outside without overhead cover because the capex budget was already hit

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Easy when your competitor is also delivering for you.
but all we want to do in reportback is talk about stock price, like that isn't an easily manipulated number

meanwhile i can think of a half dozen buildings off the top of my head (probably dozens in the country) that will be loading packages outside without overhead cover because the capex budget was already hit
Why are you still dispatching Amazon?

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s reportback had major sessions devoted to pure operating statistics (this year vs last year, etc.). The fact that share price is a major topic instead of operating statistics tells you all you need to know about the direction UPS is heading...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s reportback had major sessions devoted to pure operating statistics (this year vs last year, etc.). The fact that share price is a major topic instead of operating statistics tells you all you need to know about the direction UPS is heading...
I mean you're not wrong about the direction, but PKG can literally tell you everything you want to know about TY vs LY in 30 seconds of viewing

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
I mean you're not wrong about the direction, but PKG can literally tell you everything you want to know about TY vs LY in 30 seconds of viewing.
I understand operating statistics are readily available. I was making the point that now UPS uses it's one opportunity to communicate a message to management people to talk about share price instead of key operating stats. I remember people definitely clenching when they knew their center or division was on the next slide. I think it enhanced accountability. Nobody in that room could influence share price in the least, but they could influence how that slide looks next year.

meritocracy

Why do we pay out all this money to shareholders instead of investing in our operations? I'm not just talking about labor. Why isn't this company putting more into expanding operations and upgrading equipment? It seems to perplex everyone, including management. Bunch of greedy MFs are going to drive us into the ground.

OrionIsDaddy

Why do we pay out all this money to shareholders instead of investing in our operations? I'm not just talking about labor. Why isn't this company putting more into expanding operations and upgrading equipment? It seems to perplex everyone, including management. Bunch of greedy MFs are going to drive us into the ground.

Where have you been? Better not bigger is our new brain wash motto

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The shareholders want more money! They can never have enough.

Fenris

We have spent billions of dollars per year for many years on expanding operations and will do so for the foreseeable future. At some point, you have to make sure you are also getting the bang for the bucks you spent.