This year's raises

dezguy

3 years? LOL Being proficient has nothing to do with it. I have kids that work for Fortune 500 companies and their topout is way longer than 3 years.
Your point?

How long did it take for you to top out. Senior guys at my sta took 14 months. That was standard. So, why is it ok you topped out early but those today don't? Not like FedEx isn't making money.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I have no idea what a 4 yr employee makes. I looked at the pay scale chart and in few instances was new hire pay even $10 an hour less than top pay. I would figure a 4 year person has got a few raises above what they were hired at.

You're missing the point. Let me ask it another way. How much more should a 25 year employee make than a 4 year employee who is just as good at the job, and why?

Oldfart

Payroll isn't my call. Like I said, no idea what the pay difference is now except what the chart shows. As far as I know, we don't have any 4 year couriers where I am. I see people's hire date on the vacation seniority list and I think we only have 1 with less than 10 out of the 95 am couriers. Skill level is not a consideration on pay any more. I just know the 2 Fortune 500 companies my kids work at have a topout period longer than 5 years. Neither of them have topped out yet so I don't know when theirs is, just know it isn't 5 years. I believe a 40+ year employee should make more than a 25 year employee. I believe vacation should not top out at 5 weeks. I believe we should bring back Job Knowledge Test and terminate anyone who can't pass it. I believe Zapmail will be a failure. I actually saw a Zapmachine today. I believe a Z Van will be one of the best vans to drive but will be a mechanical nightmare. I believe right is right and left is wrong.

vantexan

The ironic thing is that when the company took away the traditional pension they took away a huge incentive to retire early. Employees have to work longer to build a bigger pension under the PPA. But the company wants to encourage them to leave earlier with healthcare incentives because they don't want higher paid employees sticking around for 30+ years. They want continual turnover of topped out couriers so that majority of employees will be on lower steps. Which is why eventually I won't be shocked if they take away the portable pension, leaving only the 401k. Got to make that profit somewhere, and will encourage more to quit at 62 with early Social Security.

!Retired!

I can see FedEx doing this. If you continue to give the top 3% without raising the other steps you will progressively increase the distance between step 9 and step 10. This will keep the guys on top happy (don't want anyone thinking about a union) without having to pay everyone else that extra 3% unless they stick around till top out. UPS pay progression is something like 10/ hr on their last step.
The difference between step 9 and 10 will never change (assuming they keep this step progression). The gap will only increase between people that, for example, hit step 10 this year and people that hit step 10 last year.
Wouldn't step 9 people jump to step 10 even if 10 just received a 3% raise? Kinda curious myself because I am hitting step 10 in Oct myself.
Yes, why wouldn't they? Step 9->step 10=5%, anyone already at step 10 or higher gets 3%.
3 years? LOL Being proficient has nothing to do with it. That theory went away years ago when they quit giving raises based on your review. Along with requiring couriers to pass the Job Knowledge Test. Sure wish they would bring that back so we could unload some DEAD WEIGHT. I have kids that work for Fortune 500 companies and their topout is way longer than 3 years.
I wouldn't mind bringing back raises based on performance. As long as getting a 7 gets you something decent. Anything lower than a 5, no raise. Not a single number can be changed by a manager without DM, or higher, approval.

overflowed

This conversation illustrates why I left this fine company. I was hired at 1880 in 07 left a year ago at 23. I took a pay cut at about 20 an hour. Only pay 80 bucks a month for top tier medical for family. Pay 7 a month for dental, any place I want. Vision free, anywhere I want to go. I will make more money this september than 10 years at fedex. 1 year. Thats pretty sad . Psp is great if you work for stock options.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wouldn't mind bringing back raises based on performance.

"The basis of the plaintiff's lawsuit is that his performance evaluation and subsequent raise were influenced, either directly or indirectly, by latent racial biases of his manager..."

SmithBarney

I have no idea what a 4 yr employee makes. I looked at the pay scale chart and in few instances was new hire pay even $10 an hour less than top pay. I would figure a 4 year person has got a few raises above what they were hired at.

You've probably been told, but a 4 yr employee makes the same as a anyone up to 11-12yrs, STEP 2

!Retired!

"The basis of the plaintiff's lawsuit is that his performance evaluation and subsequent raise were influenced, either directly or indirectly, by latent racial biases of his manager..."
If you remember, managers were able to change numbers. After a few years, managers were only able to change only one (I forgot which one). If you did merit raises again, allow the computer to compute it all. No changes by the managers.

SmithBarney

LOL. I guess math was never your strong point. 3% of top range is a smaller raise than 7% of starting pay. Might want to get a 5th grader to do that multiplication and explain it to you.
Fuzzy math I know, but for someone who doesn't care about what others make, you sure made a fuss about someone getting a bigger raise.

But hey lets take this pipe dream theory to the test..kinda like dreaming about winning the powerball...PS: I didn't win.

Lets say in the off chance(fat chance) Fedex did 7%/3% it would take roughly 10-11 years before a new hire could catch your rate(additionally it would take that same new hire 7years to make what you make today) so what are you worried about, you'll be dead or gone before they catch you.

I simplified it at $16/hr $24/hr pretty close to starting and top for some markets.
16.00 24.00
17.12 24.72
18.33 25.46
19.60 26.22
20.90 27.01
22.44 27.82
24.01 28.65
25.69 29.52
27.49 30.40
29.41 31.31
31.47 32.25
33.68 33.22

Oldfart

@oldfart Not by much, you ignorant buffoon.
Fuzzy math I know, but for someone who doesn't care about what others make, you sure made a fuss about someone getting a bigger raise.

But hey lets take this pipe dream theory to the test..kinda like dreaming about winning the powerball...PS: I didn't win.

Lets say in the off chance(fat chance) Fedex did 7%/3% it would take roughly 10-11 years before a new hire could catch your rate(additionally it would take that same new hire 7years to make what you make today) so what are you worried about, you'll be dead or gone before they catch you.

I simplified it at $16/hr $24/hr pretty close to starting and top for some markets.
16.00 24.00
17.12 24.72
18.33 25.46
19.60 26.22
20.90 27.01
22.44 27.82
24.01 28.65
25.69 29.52
27.49 30.40
29.41 31.31
31.47 32.25
33.68 33.22
Fuzzy math? Your post said my 3% raise would be bigger than the lower paid people's 7% raise. Do the math. 16.00 x 7% is a $1.12 raise. 24 x 3% raise is $.72. I know reading and math were taught the days you were missed school due to your learning disabilities but that looks like $.40 difference. Kinda makes you wrong doesn't it?

Oldfart

@oldfart Not by much, you ignorant buffoon.
I know it doesn't take much intelligence to be a courier, but how did you get the job. A person making 16 and hour will get a $1.12 raise at 7%. A person making 24 an hour will get a $.72 cent raise. I would call a difference of $.40 a pretty good difference.

duck and smith are DEFINITELY NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know it doesn't take much intelligence to be a courier, but how did you get the job. A person making 16 and hour will get a $1.12 raise at 7%. A person making 24 an hour will get a $.72 cent raise. I would call a difference of $.40 a pretty good difference.

duck and smith are DEFINITELY NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER.
So you only make $24 an hour?

Oldfart

So you only make $24 an hour?

Mercy. ANOTHER person with reading disabilities. Smith put a chart up using 16 and 24 as starting and topped out pay. I simply used Smith's chart as an example. Starting pay isn't 16 and top pay isn't 24, but those are the numbers Smith provided.

PLEASE add operational to the list of those NOT SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Mercy. ANOTHER person with reading disabilities. Smith put a chart up using 16 and 24 as starting and topped out pay. I simply used Smith's chart as an example. Starting pay isn't 16 and top pay isn't 24, but those are the numbers Smith provided.

PLEASE add operational to the list of those NOT SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER
The list you're already on?