This year's raises

It will be fine

Fuzzy math? Your post said my 3% raise would be bigger than the lower paid people's 7% raise. Do the math. 16.00 x 7% is a $1.12 raise. 24 x 3% raise is $.72. I know reading and math were taught the days you were missed school due to your learning disabilities but that looks like $.40 difference. Kinda makes you wrong doesn't it?
Why do you care? If you both got 3% your raise would be bigger than the new hire. Since you both do the same job and you already make disproportionately more than the new hire why should you get a bigger raise?

Schweddy

Balls
I know it doesn't take much intelligence to be a courier, but how did you get the job. A person making 16 and hour will get a $1.12 raise at 7%. A person making 24 an hour will get a $.72 cent raise. I would call a difference of $.40 a pretty good difference.

duck and smith are DEFINITELY NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER.

Yeah but it's really only 30 cents right? Because you make like 28.50-29.50? Interesting that you work at such a large station but you're in a base market.

And this only recently changed in the last couple of years with the overdue raises.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
At least I can do simple math.
IMG_0956.JPG

Oldfart

Why do you care? If you both got 3% your raise would be bigger than the new hire. Since you both do the same job and you already make disproportionately more than the new hire why should you get a bigger raise?
So you believe everyone should get the same raise money wise and not % wise. Interesting. Wrong but interesting

Oldfart

Yeah but it's really only 30 cents right? Because you make like 28.50-29.50? Interesting that you work at such a large station but you're in a base market.

And this only recently changed in the last couple of years with the overdue raises.
Our guys make 25.31 according to that chart. I make RTD /Swing pay, thats why I am where I am.

Oldfart

So you know that your coworkers aren't topped out? But what changed? because you said before that you were now a step 9..
Nobody at our station went to step 10 with the new pay scale. Has something to do with market level. If I have over 40 and aren't topped, nobody is.

Yomama11

So you believe everyone should get the same raise money wise and not % wise. Interesting. Wrong but interesting
Before the step progression everyone was getting the same percentage of their pay so basically the more you made the higher your raise. Once the step system was established that process was tweaked. Everyone i think got 3% of their pay then jumped up to the closet step. Some guys got $2.30 raises other guys got $1.00.

Oldfart

Before the step progression everyone was getting the same percentage of their pay so basically the more you made the higher your raise. Once the step system was established that process was tweaked. Everyone i think got 3% of their pay then jumped up to the closet step. Some guys got $2.30 raises other guys got $1.00.
That's correct. Everyone got close to the same %. If you gave everyone the same $ raise, the higher paid people would get a lesser %. When everyone gets the same %, you cant get any more fair than that. Some of the steps might be more than 5%. Some look bigger than others.

vantexan

I got 68 cents.

Oldfart

That's fine, as long as old fart gets more.
A % raise is the fairest way to give raises. That way everyone gets the same % based on their present salary, but not the same $ amount.

Consider this. Fedex decides they want to raise their rates. If they raise rates a certain %, everyone's rate will increase the same % based on the rate their package cost. If you raised everyone's rate the same $ amount, cheaper packages would increase a bigger %.

Example. Fedex raises rates 5%. $100 package goes up $5. A $20 package goes up $1. Very fair to everyone.

Fedex decides to raise everyone's package by $5. A $100 package goes up $5. A 5% increase. A $20 package goes up the same $5. That is a 25% increase. Is that fair to the $20 shipper?

It is the same principle on raises.

It will be fine

A % raise is the fairest way to give raises. That way everyone gets the same % based on their present salary, but not the same $ amount.

Consider this. Fedex decides they want to raise their rates. If they raise rates a certain %, everyone's rate will increase the same % based on the rate their package cost. If you raised everyone's rate the same $ amount, cheaper packages would increase a bigger %.

Example. Fedex raises rates 5%. $100 package goes up $5. A $20 package goes up $1. Very fair to everyone.

Fedex decides to raise everyone's package by $5. A $100 package goes up $5. A 5% increase. A $20 package goes up the same $5. That is a 25% increase. Is that fair to the $20 shipper?

Why should raises be "fair?"

fdxsux

Wow you are good at math. Actually, the fair way would be to pay everyone the same amount of money because everyone does the same job. Then you could give a % raise or a dollar amount raise and everyone would get an equal raise. That would be the fair way. That is not the cheap way however, which is why FedEx and many other companies pay everyone differently.

Oldfart

Wow you are good at math. Actually, the fair way would be to pay everyone the same amount of money because everyone does the same job. Then you could give a % raise or a dollar amount raise and everyone would get an equal raise. That would be the fair way. That is not the cheap way however, which is why FedEx and many other companies pay everyone differently.
So a newhire and a 25 yr employee should make the same hr pay? Not hardly.

MAKAVELI

So a newhire and a 25 yr employee should make the same hr pay? Not hardly.
A new hire should be able to go through "progression" and be able to top out and make the same as a 25 year employee. This is is the way it's done at most employers that have a wage scale. If the top is constantly given more than the than everyone in progression, they'll never top out.