This year's raises

fdxsux

2nd week of October2017 I am due to receive $1.03 raise step. I'll hit top pay in under 12 yrs. Bad as it sounds, some have it far worse
I hope you do but I wouldn't count on it. When I started I figured it would take me 11 yrs to top out based on my first couple of raises. Now after 15 yes I'm at a step 6. In the last 15 years there has been once or twice we haven't gotten any raises. There has been once or twice we've only gotten 2% because of a bad economy or whatever. Raises have gone from January to October which is basically another year without a raise. There is a lot that can happen in 12 years.

Oldfart

I hope you do but I wouldn't count on it. When I started I figured it would take me 11 yrs to top out based on my first couple of raises. Now after 15 yes I'm at a step 6. In the last 15 years there has been once or twice we haven't gotten any raises. There has been once or twice we've only gotten 2% because of a bad economy or whatever. Raises have gone from January to October which is basically another year without a raise. There is a lot that can happen in 12 years.
I don't recall there ever being a plan in place where every step is laid for everyone to see. In previous years, the raise was just a % that was set and not really known until the raise was announced. Didn't people jump into various steps of the 10 step and won't they jump up 1 step every October until they top out?

whenIgetthere

I don't recall there ever being a plan in place where every step is laid for everyone to see. In previous years, the raise was just a % that was set and not really known until the raise was announced. Didn't people jump into various steps of the 10 step and won't they jump up 1 step every October until they top out?

Ten step was laid out to us, not ten year. Interpret the way you would like.

Meat

Just curious, so do you think the majority of you guys would unionize, from the guy's you talk to in your local terminal?

It's out of the question. As I previously mentioned, the older employees have less incentive to pay union dues, and the younger ones just don't understand the grave situation they are in as far as retirement. Some in the middle may go for it, but that wouldn't be enough to carry an entire station.

Meat

So if you get moved up to the next step this Oct and again next Oct, will you still doubt the system?

They would be wise to doubt the system. X's heyday (much like America's), as everyone on this board will attest to, is long over with. for new hires, X falls under the category of "it's all I could find," not "I think it's a great employment opportunity."

Oldfart

They would be wise to doubt the system. X's heyday (much like America's), as everyone on this board will attest to, is long over with. for new hires, X falls under the category of "it's all I could find," not "I think it's a great employment opportunity."
Matter of opinion. Considering you aren't an employee are you? My station has good management. Good conditions and very little turnover.

Oldfart

Just the fact they put in a wage progression would say otherwise company wide.
How so? People complained about slow raises and low pay. They raised salaries and set up a dedicated raise. Many in my station will hit top level this Oct. Even before the new pay, we still very little turnover. Good senior manager, good working conditions. Some people will never be happy no matter how much you pay them.

MAKAVELI

How so? People complained about slow raises and low pay. They raised salaries and set up a dedicated raise. Many in my station will hit top level this Oct. Even before the new pay, we still very little turnover. Good senior manager, good working conditions. Some people will never be happy no matter how much you pay them.
They only put in the wage progression because of high turnover company wide.

vantexan

Some here keep mentioning 10 years to top out. Assuming there are annual raises it will take 9 years for new hire to top out. You start on step 1, then there are 9 more steps.

SmithBarney

...Many in my station will hit top level this Oct....we still very little turnover.

Bingo! Many in your station are senior employees of course they aren't going to leave because of earnings issues, they won't complain about earnings much either...
New kid off the street(Step 1) or 11year employees(at STEP 2) have every right to be concerned about their wages.

SmithBarney

Some here keep mentioning 10 years to top out. Assuming there are annual raises it will take 9 years for new hire to top out. You start on step 1, then there are 9 more steps.

Don't forget those who have been here 11 years are at Step 2... so 9 more years... 19 total years to top out..

vantexan

Don't forget those who have been here 11 years are at Step 2... so 9 more years... 19 total years to top out..
I'm talking strictly newhires. But absolutely, those with serious time in got screwed royally. It's why I retired. I was almost 55 and looking at another 9 years. I really wanted to say I at least made it to $20hr but not worth it.