Triples accident Winnemucca NV one dead and one critical injury.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yes, we do. I'm wondering were Sammy and Dano are with all of the "facts" that tell us Ground is safe?

Looking at the numbers, FEG has half the units pulled out of service as the industry average. While fatalities are bad, their numbers are also lower than the national average.

I would imagine if you compared FEG with the OTR training companies, FEG would look like a pretty darn safe place to work.

My point is that driving all be itself is dangerous.

hypo hanna

Thank you O n , and no Stewart is hanging in there, he is still in the hospital, but is looking and doing a lot better than a couple days ago, he his pretty banged up though and has a long way to go in his recovery, he is talking and responsive and knows what happened so no brain damage and he can move all his limbs, he just has a lot of healing to do.
Prayers for a full recovery.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm wondering if the anyone here has read the latest from the GAO and ATA on the inaccuracies put forth by the FMCSA.

Wow, straight from corporate. While there has certainly been criticism of the FMCSA, the Ground numbers are not in dispute. Dead drivers are dead drivers...period. Ground is not a safe operation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looking at the numbers, FEG has half the units pulled out of service as the industry average. While fatalities are bad, their numbers are also lower than the national average.

I would imagine if you compared FEG with the OTR training companies, FEG would look like a pretty darn safe place to work.

My point is that driving all be itself is dangerous.

Truck driving can be a dangerous profession, but there are a lot of 25+ accident-free drivers out there. Those people aren't working for Ground because Ground doesn't pay the kind of money to attract top-tier professionals. UPS does, and their safety record reflects that.

Ground will continue to kill it's people, both local and OTR, because all that matters to FedEx is driving operating costs down and profits up. Safety is secondary.

I understand what an OTR training company is, but my guess is that most others do not. Comparing Ground with Swift,Schneider and the usual suspects does not let them off the safety "hook". To lump FEG in with the revolving door OTR outfits says a lot about the low-ball nature of the operation.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Wow, straight from corporate. While there has certainly been criticism of the FMCSA, the Ground numbers are not in dispute. Dead drivers are dead drivers...period. Ground is not a safe operation.
Corporate? Neither the ATA nor the GAO are corporate. But to your point, Ground's safety record is a concern and is being addressed from the highest levels. They certainly aren't just going to throw money at the problem, but more money will indeed be necessary to fix it. Just a matter of how fast they intend to fix it. I do know one thing. If Express keeps hiring our drivers, it's going to be a while. Most of our accidents are with drivers who have 2 or less years with Ground. If all we are is a feeder system for Express, the problems will only escalate.

MAKAVELI

Corporate? Neither the ATA nor the GAO are corporate. But to your point, Ground's safety record is a concern and is being addressed from the highest levels. They certainly aren't just going to throw money at the problem, but more money will indeed be necessary to fix it. Just a matter of how fast they intend to fix it. I do know one thing. If Express keeps hiring our drivers, it's going to be a while. Most of our accidents are with drivers who have 2 or less years with Ground. If all we are is a feeder system for Express, the problems will only escalate.
You see the irony they have created? Express management has done everything they can to push experienced couriers out and they have that wish. Problem is hiring off the street with this pay and benefits gets them incompetence and a revolving door. Now they are recruiting experienced ground drivers to fill openings in Express while Ground's volume is growing and needs to retain its experienced and " good" drivers. Love it.:D

bbsam

Staff member
Oh, I love the irony. Our SM made the flippant comment that nobody is forcing drivers to apply at Express to which I replied that my problems would very quickly manifest themselves as his problems.

MAKAVELI

Oh, I love the irony. Our SM made the flippant comment that nobody is forcing drivers to apply at Express to which I replied that my problems would very quickly manifest themselves as his problems.
Don't worry I'm sure those drivers will quickly realize it's too much bs and stress for not much more. Then probably switch back.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Freaking Jibberish, Sammy. Express hiring your drivers? LOFL.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't worry I'm sure those drivers will quickly realize it's too much bs and stress for not much more. Then probably switch back.
They're more likely to go elsewhere Scam. Who wants to come back to low pay, no benefits and excessive workloads?

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
For linehaul work FEG is really not that bad a gig around here. Pays better than many of the OTR companies and many offer the choice of sleeper team or home every day linehaul.

This could be an instance where your company hatred is clouding your judgement.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For linehaul work FEG is really not that bad a gig around here. Pays better than many of the OTR companies and many offer the choice of sleeper team or home every day linehaul.

This could be an instance where your company hatred is clouding your judgement.

Not where I'm at. Ground pays less than Swift or the usual suspects in OTR. My hatred for FedEx is just that...hatred. My judgment is just fine, thanks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This sounds like one of those PR films from the 50's, where the talking head says "It's being addressed at the highest levels of management". BS. Nobody wants to eff with the Golden Goose business model, so paying better money to attract and retain safer drivers is off the table.

That means nothing will change. More dead drivers and a worse FMCSA score. You see, Fred's profits are more important than the lives of us little people.

Now that you have signed-on as another shill, you won't acknowledge this. Are they giving you options on more routes, or some other perk to be "on the team"?

bbsam

Staff member
This sounds like one of those PR films from the 50's, where the talking head says "It's being addressed at the highest levels of management". BS. Nobody wants to eff with the Golden Goose business model, so paying better money to attract and retain safer drivers is off the table.

That means nothing will change. More dead drivers and a worse FMCSA score. You see, Fred's profits are more important than the lives of us little people.

Now that you have signed-on as another shill, you won't acknowledge this. Are they giving you options on more routes, or some other perk to be "on the team"?
sometimes your posts really show just how out of touch you are with regards to how businesses run. This is one of those times.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
sometimes your posts really show just how out of touch you are with regards to how businesses run. This is one of those times.

Ground is a business model that has an ultra-low cost basis. That translates into the hiring of drivers who are highly likely to not be as qualified as drivers not willing to work for low wages. That compromises both safety and the quality of service(s) provided.

All you and Fred understand is dollar signs. Loss of life is apparently acceptable, just so long as you and Fred still get your healthy cut of the profits. You are out of touch with the value of human life.

bbsam

Staff member
Ground is a business model that has an ultra-low cost basis. That translates into the hiring of drivers who are highly likely to not be as qualified as drivers not willing to work for low wages. That compromises both safety and the quality of service(s) provided.

All you and Fred understand is dollar signs. Loss of life is apparently acceptable, just so long as you and Fred still get your healthy cut of the profits. You are out of touch with the value of human life.
Incorrect as usual. The model is based on not overpaying. The difference is that safety HAS to get better and that may very well cost more money but other avenues are explored as well. Ground is still posting double digit profits so the money is there. Just don't expect them to suddenly pay UPS wages. They definitely can bring the accidents down without that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Incorrect as usual. The model is based on not overpaying. The difference is that safety HAS to get better and that may very well cost more money but other avenues are explored as well. Ground is still posting double digit profits so the money is there. Just don't expect them to suddenly pay UPS wages. They definitely can bring the accidents down without that.

"Not overpaying?" Semantics, and a very poor argument. You're as bad at your new job as Dano.