Two tier wage system, who does it affect?

km3

They will probably ask for year round helpers. So that they need less drivers.

I can see that. That makes it easier to implement driverless package cars. If/when that happens, UPS will claim that drivers are basically just helpers and use that as an excuse to only pay them helper wages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would it effect people with 10 years or less?? So 9 years isnt enough vested time? Or even 5 years for that matter. Ridiculous we are even talking about a two tier wage system. Ive worked two jobs for 7 years to make it as a full time driver.

The two tiered wage system will be a reality in the near future.

I don't know what the cut off will be as to who would be affected by this.

rickyb

I never understood the concept of making everyone poor. If everyone's poor they cant buy your product lol
in the noam chomsky documentary requiem for the american dream they talk about this. i cant remember but part of it is companies are global and highly financialized

Brisket

I can see that. That makes it easier to implement driverless package cars. If/when that happens, UPS will claim that drivers are basically just helpers and use that as an excuse to only pay them helper wages.

I don't know about you, but that would scare the living crap outta me if I saw a driverless package car anywhere near me.... Or worse yet tractor trailer ... Not knowing if the sensors would operate correctly to make that thing stop and NOT hit anyone...

km3

The two tiered wage system will be a reality in the near future.

I don't know what the cut off will be as to who would be affected by this.

I don't have too much faith in the union, but I don't think they'll let UPS force that on us either. Especially not if UPS is going to try and make us pay more for our benefits. There's no doubt that UPS wants both of these things, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're gonna get them.

I think changing the progression from 4 to 5 or 6 years is a lot more likely. I don't see a two tiered wage system happening in the next contract. Maybe the one after that.

I don't know about you, but that would scare the living crap outta me if I saw a driverless package car anywhere near me.... Or worse yet tractor trailer ... Not knowing if the sensors would operate correctly to make that thing stop and NOT hit anyone...

Yeah, but that seems to be the way things are heading now. Self-driving technology is advancing at a pace that I don't think anyone in the general public expected. Certainly faster than I expected. It's obvious that companies who currently employ drivers will eventually try to automate their fleets...and in cases where humans are still necessary to accomplish part of the job, they'll just get paid smaller wages.

542thruNthru

I think if a two-tier pay scale is purposed you'll see a HUGE increase in voters.

Every single person that is hoping to one day go full time driver will vote no. The only people I see voting yes on a two-tier pay scale are selfish drivers.

I would never vote yes no matter what they gave me.