Updated info on the Hybrid position

DOK

I thought the company was cutting back Saturday service? If you need more package car drivers, why not hire more?
They need a less expensive work force.
What target ?
Current full time levels can’t be lowered. Hybrid can’t displace me.

And most of ups’s reasoning for cutting routes and working us later is because it’s cheaper to pay overtime than the extra fuel cost to run more routes. Plus with Orion( I still think this is the most flawed program ever) it’s allows them to say hey, you can run 20 more stops a day now.
The excessive overtime is good in the wallet but bad on the soul. I agree with that. I think our center alone already has like 95 grand worth of grievances on 9.5’s this year. Something like that.

Yes but think. If Ups cuts you to 8 hours that would be great right? Until they tell you your start time is now 11:30am because the hybrid driver coming off the preload is doing your morning work. You’ll be punching out at 8:30pm with a straight 8 hour pay, good stuff.

Indecisi0n

Yes but think. If Ups cuts you to 8 hours that would be great right? Until they tell you your start time is now 11:30am because the hybrid driver coming off the preload is doing your morning work. You’ll be punching out at 8:30pm with a straight 8 hour pay, good stuff.
Works for me.

Our routes have bid start time.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
While the references to the Hybrid job mention Package Car, the title itself is "Full Time Combination Driver", so as I see it, Feeders is far from immune from these workers.

This type of worker could only do a few of our feeder runs because of the hours needed to complete the runs.

My area already uses 22.3 for shifters, I guess in some areas it could take shifting jobs away from feeder drivers. I know I've read on here some buildings use feeder drivers for shifters

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This type of worker could only do a few of our feeder runs because of the hours needed to complete the runs.

My area already uses 22.3 for shifters, I guess in some areas it could take shifting jobs away from feeder drivers. I know I've read on here some buildings use feeder drivers for shifters
We have routes where drivers make plenty of short runs, pick ups, etc. It would be very easy to slash some Feeder jobs.

Dr.Brownz

Since the settlement in principle was reached last week with UPS for the National UPS agreement, plans have been made for negotiations on the supplemental agreements. As stated in the previous contract update (June 21), the supplemental agreements must be resolved and approved by UPS local unions first. This week’s update will focus on the new classification of Full-Time Combination Driver and further materials will be issued about other highlights of the settlement.

A new classification, Full-Time Combination Driver, will protect weekends for package-car drivers, will address the issues of excessive, forced overtime and will create thousands of new full-time job opportunities for part-time employees.

The new classification is referred to as “22.4 Combination Drivers” (Article 22, Section 4 new subsection B), similar to 22.3 combination jobs that already exist.

“Our members know that they work in a changing industry, driven by e-commerce and the ‘Amazon effect,’ where consumers want fast delivery and weekend delivery,” said Denis T, Director of the Teamsters Package Division and Co-Chairman of the Teamsters National UPS Negotiating Committee. “This new classification reflects this changing world while protecting our package-car drivers’ weekends, creating more full-time jobs and addressing excessive overtime.”

“We know how important weekends are for package-car drivers, to be able to attend their child’s activity or go away for a couple of days, and we also know how excessive, forced overtime has created upheaval within families,” Taylor said. “These new 22.4 Combination Driver jobs will address these important issues while also creating a new career position with the same excellent Teamster-negotiated benefits and a family wage.”

Here are some questions and answers:
Q: How will regular package-car positions be protected under this new 22.4 Combination Driver classification?
A: In the event that your building utilizes 22.4 Combination Drivers, current Package Drivers, referred to in the agreement as Regular Full-time Package Car Drivers (RPCD), will be protected from replacement by 22.4 Combination Drivers or any part-time cover driver as allowed in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum. If an RPCD leaves employment or bids to another classification, that job must be filled as an RPCD and continue to be covered under Article 41 Section 2. No RPCD can be laid off or displaced from their classification while any 22.4 Combination Drivers are working in the building.

Q: How will package-car drivers’ weekends be protected?
A: RPCDs will work a Monday through Friday shift. Our members made it clear that they were not interested in giving up time with their families. RPCDs that are working a Tuesday through Saturday shift now will be moved back to a Monday through Friday shift within 18 months. If the RPCD was hired recently, specifically for a Tuesday through Saturday shift, the company has a maximum of 24 months to move them to a Monday through Friday shift.

Q: Will there be limits on the new position?
A: The number of 22.4 Combination Drivers will not exceed 25 percent of the total number of RPCDs in your building. If the company needs additional drivers for Saturday or Sunday work, RPCDs will be offered first and forced last and will make the Supplemental overtime rate if applicable. If the Saturday and Sunday volume increases to the extent that RPCDs must consistently work those days, the union and UPS may adjust the 25 percent to avoid the RPCDs being required to work those days. RPCD openings will be filled under the Supplemental procedures; however, the “6 to 1” hiring ratio will NOT apply to RPCD openings. All RPCD openings will be filled by bargaining unit employees, not outside hires. This will provide additional full-time opportunities for part-time employees.

Q: How will this address excessive, forced overtime?
A: In any building that implements 22.4 Combination Drivers, all RPCDs will fall under the Article 37 Section 1 (c) “9.5” protection regardless of years of service or the route they hold. The newly created 22.4 Combination Driver jobs will not fall under the Article 37 “9.5” language. All other conditions in the NMUPS agreement and the Supplements, Riders and Addendum will apply.

Q: Why is this important to employees other than drivers?
A: This new classification of full-time employee will open up thousands of full-time opportunities for part-time employees, which is a top priority for those employees. These jobs come with full-time benefits. Also, in many smaller centers around the country, it is very difficult to create new 22.3 Inside/Inside jobs, as there are no back-to-back shifts.

Q: What other important information should I know?
A: Provisions in the Supplements that provide progression time and/or wage credits for a part-time cover driver who moves into an RPCD job will also apply to moving into a 22.4 Combination Driver job. Also, the start rate for 22.4 Combination Drivers will be $20.50 and reach a top rate of $34.79 by August 1, 2022. The top rate on August 1, 2018 will be $31.34 and will increase each year in accordance with the General Wage Increases.

Reading these statements really pisses me off. These drivers will not be used to combat any of the issues that corporate * talked about, it's all to save the company money. * him I hope he dies of painful brain cancer in the near future or is hit by a bus and becomes quadriplegic. In any building that uses combo drivers will be ruined by the time the current set of FT drivers retire. UPS will have gotten rid of all the full time jobs and all that will be left is scraps......PT positions with no guarantee of hours and no cap on hours either....ALL FOR A LOWER WAGE!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Reading these statements really pisses me off. These drivers will not be used to combat any of the issues that corporate * talked about, it's all to save the company money. * him I hope he dies of painful brain cancer in the near future or is hit by a bus and becomes quadriplegic. In any building that uses combo drivers will be ruined by the time the current set of FT drivers retire. UPS will have gotten rid of all the full time jobs and all that will be left is scraps......PT positions with no guarantee of hours and no cap on hours either....ALL FOR A LOWER WAGE!
For real? Wishing death upon someone?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Good point. Worth checking into.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is a very scary post.