Updated info on the Hybrid position

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Also , you have full time qualified drivers working local sorts to get their guaranteed 8 hours ?

Yup. We have a total of 10 or so qualified drivers and about half work the split shift because they need the $ and the hours for benefits. Its ridiculous. I had one FT driver tell me it took him another 10 months between qualification and when he actually went on-road routinely.

dogs.bite.me

I've heard that after August 1st, there will no longer be full time driver positions filled. Everyone after that date will be hired as a hybrid?? Any truth to that rumor?
They will be able to hire up to 25% the number of RPCDs.

Meaning, if you have 100 RPCDs they will be able to hire 25 hyrids.

If they need more than 25, they need to add 3 RPCD positions before they can hire the 26th hyrbid.

So originally, your center had 100 RPCD and 25 Hybrids.

To get to 26 hybrids, it would be:
103 RPCD and 26 hybrids.

Any RPCD spot vacated - either by retirement, quitting, or being fired, would need to be filled by seniority.

dogs.bite.me

My question is in regards to the lower seniority full time drivers who qualified in the last few months before the new contract set in. Do we get dibs on a route if the higher seniority driver is offered the day off or does the route get bumped to a 22.4? We've got 6 drivers on our preload and local sort yet they want to hire these hybrid drivers when they're cutting routes left and right?
Your seniority supersedes that of hybrids. Any FT driver working preload currently supersedes hybrid.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

If they need more than 25, they need to add 3 RPCD positions before they can hire the 26th hyrbid.

103 RPCD and 26 hybrids.

Any RPCD spot vacated - either by retirement, quitting, or being fired, would need to be filled by seniority.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

103 RPCD and 26 hybrids.

The problem with the needing more language is it's gonna be another contract before they need anymore. Maybe they just change it to 30% then.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

103 RPCD and 26 hybrids.

Read it again too, the 25 percent is adjustable by the company.

Point 8 on this link.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/ups_contract_proposal22.4b.pdf

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If what I posted originally is the wording, then a hybrid can’t displace you. Meaning you have the right to run a route or that route based on your seniority.
Right, but they will hack routes so your route will suck. Or, if you were getting sone OT, that will be gone.

Way to many problems, bad idea, vote it down, and Hoffa and company have to go.

Last edited:

Logic

This makes no sense to me. A month ago we had drivers being sent home because they cut routes and overloaded the remaining routes. Even with 22.4 drivers there is nothing in the contract saying they have to cut routes down. The only way to force this is to make the 9.5 language stronger.

PT Car Washer

This makes no sense to me. A month ago we had drivers being sent home because they cut routes and overloaded the remaining routes. Even with 22.4 drivers there is nothing in the contract saying they have to cut routes down. The only way to force this is to make the 9.5 language stronger.
Doing the same thing for the last 2 or 3 weeks at my building. Then using PT and Art 22.3 air drivers to deliver everything left in the building. 12 hour days are the norm. Great for a PT air driver trying to max out your paycheck after starvation wages all Spring. I suppose that will be the business plan for the new hybrid drivers

specter208

UPS has had this 22.4 thing planned for years, cutting routes to put package car drivers hours to the limit. Then last peak they pulled out the 70 hour rule to really put the screws to them knowing they had a better chance of making this 22.4 position possible. In the past we built more full time routes and hired more full time drivers as volume increased which kept everyone's hours at a reasonable level. This would have happened if stronger 9.5 language was negotiated thru monetary penalties like double time after 9hrs and pension contributions on all hours worked. They played their cards well and all most current drivers care about is getting home at a reasonable hour at this time. Well played UPS.
Illuminati confirmed lol.

The Driver

I drive.
Exactly. They’re not making as much on Saturday delivery, but they can’t give it up because the market demands it.

If they could get quality people (by paying them more, a lot more) to load the package cars NEATLY on Saturday, I could be done and gone in under 9.5, easily.

Pipe dream.