Updated info on the Hybrid position

margaritaville

Train combination drivers. See how much :censored2: they will put up with. Let ups strike and offer combination drivers our wages/hours to be scabs since they have basic training. Let us go. Cut combination drivers wages once we are gone. Combinations drivers get mad and go on strike and form a union.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Train combination drivers. See how much :censored2: they will put up with. Let ups strike and offer combination drivers our wages/hours to be scabs since they have basic training. Let us go. Cut combination drivers wages once we are gone. Combinations drivers get mad and go on strike and form a union.

That's it. put the pipe down, you've had enough! Know when to say when!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That has nothing to do with it !!!
Overtime is cheaper than regular rate + HW/Pension contribution.
Your 10th hour is cheaper than your 1st !!!!
So we’re going to run more routes and give these hybrids a pension and full healthcare.... something about this is t right... it’s all about getting a foot in the door from ups... all we hear mgt squawking about is overtime is cheaper than running an extra car....this is iOS thinking 15-20 years down the road where every driver will be a hybrid....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No.
Read the agreement.
Only 25% of the driving positions can be filled by hybrids.
As volume increases and creates additional routes, or when a full time driver retires or goes to feeder, a hybrid will be promoted to full time in order to satisfy the 25% requirement.
Will all due respect they haven’t added hardly any new routes because of the massive amount of surepost they are running to the post office... I use to work in a building with hundreds of drivers and 99% of the runs that went up for bid we’re either a driver going into feeder or someone who retires or the small possibility of someone leaving for the hell of it or being fired...VERY FEW NEW ROUTES BECAUSE OF OVERDISPATCHING OR GROWTH....

keeb86

I don’t see them hacking routes up.
Hell they can barely get enough drivers to cover the routes we have now.

What place of the country do you work in? They sent about 7 drivers home out of 110 on Friday with it being 100 degrees out and everyone with a 10.5 hour day. They hack routes all the time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They will be able to hire up to 25% the number of RPCDs.

Meaning, if you have 100 RPCDs they will be able to hire 25 hyrids.

If they need more than 25, they need to add 3 RPCD positions before they can hire the 26th hyrbid.

So originally, your center had 100 RPCD and 25 Hybrids.

To get to 26 hybrids, it would be:
103 RPCD and 26 hybrids.

Any RPCD spot vacated - either by retirement, quitting, or being fired, would need to be filled by seniority.
25 % number is too high... ups will be needing many new drivers in the next 5 years because of retirements....

Superteeth2478

"The newly created 22.4 Combination Driver jobs will not fall under the Article 37 "9.5" language."

WTH is this garbage?
That right there tells you what their intent was with these 22.4 workers. They were never really meant to be "hybrid" workers in the first place who do 4 hours of preload and 4 hours of driving. They say they'll not be allowed to be used in lieu of displaced RPCDs, but they don't even mention penalties for when it occurs.

And at any rate, we all know that the company spits on penalties as it is...they would rather just pay 9.5 grievances and supervisors working grievances than actually just stop violating the contract. Why would not allowing them to have 9.5 protection even be necessary language if they weren't meant to be used to displace RPCDs and take away overtime from drivers who want it?

Look at what they do with TCDs (using them year-round to avoid creating full-time jobs) in some buildings and the language that needed to be created to keep that abuse from occurring...there's no way that they don't fully intend to ignore any penalties that are in place for abusing 22.4 workers and using them instead of RPCDs. They're counting on the simple reality that most people are too much of a bunch of pansies to file grievances on contractual violations...and to the company, if there aren't any grievances, "It isn't happening".

And yes, this is clearly creating a second-class citizen workforce, especially with the language that gives them no 9.5 protection. It's really sad that the union is supporting this.

Superteeth2478

What the heck is this crap? Can a mod delete all but my most recent posting on this subject? It kept telling me I had a server error and to try again later, so I kept clicking post every minute...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
While the references to the Hybrid job mention Package Car, the title itself is "Full Time Combination Driver", so as I see it, Feeders is far from immune from these workers.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
While the references to the Hybrid job mention Package Car, the title itself is "Full Time Combination Driver", so as I see it, Feeders is far from immune from these workers.

WOW, hadn't thought of that!!