UPS feeders

spif91

Yeah I'm pulling double 45's right now. They r trying to cut down on the amount of equipment we r pulling into the extended centers here in Oklahoma.
We were pulling in 6 or 7 pups and 4 dollies for r morning preload, but now r pulling back 2 45's and 2 pups and only using 2 dollies....What was funny was the 2 unloaders(1 per trailor) didn't know about the 45's on the first day we brought em into the center......they started unloading them and kept looking for the nose of the trailor about an hour later and realized something was screwy.....part time sup finally told them it was a 45 and they still had 20 more feet of boxes before they got to the nose..LOL
We also pull double 48's some have pintel hooks on the rear and some don't depending on the series..

spif91

they are called turbpike doubles...i dont think they are legal in many states...the dollys have 8 wheels instead of 4

usf-holland-turnpike-doubles.jpg

and thats a UPS set of triples behind it

here in indiana, triples are only allowed on the toll road.....ive pulled doubles and wouldnt really want to pull triples

I like that 4 to 6 sec following distance he is demonstrating....LOL

spif91

Yep! That's exactly what it looks like. I was awed the first time I saw it on I-25 south of Denver near Colorado Springs as a Target Greatland distribution run. Again, I never saw UPS pulling two 48' that I can recall. There are a couple posters here that either work for UPS as feeder / package car drivers in Colorado OR have family that do. I'll yield to them on UPS' practices if they know.

Sounds right on all counts. I read a post on BC by a feeder driver in Colorado that mentioned triples. This was a couple years ago, by the way. S/he said that a driver could decline to pull triples but I don't recall if there was a weather factor included in that. Regardless, I have enough trouble driving a sedan. I can't imagine driving a semi, never mind one pulling doubles or trips! lol. -Rocky

No declining trips here......if u got 3 then u got 3..we can refuse to pull them in inclement weather but they usually don't ask us too.

A

anonymous6

Curious how many people on here pull trip's like I do here in Oklahoma and what states allow them besides Okla and on the turnpikes in Kansas?????

The world record, I believe is 19 trailers in Australia. The average "land train" is 7 trailers. It took 30 minutes for it to get up to 30mph. with a KW 600.

They don't worry about falling asleep at the wheel bc they just go out in the brush and the bumpy ride wake them up.

I spoke to one of the drivers. he said he averages about $800 a week( austrailian ) . it takes a special breed to drive these trains.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
No declining trips here......if u got 3 then u got 3..we can refuse to pull them in inclement weather but they usually don't ask us too.

That's probably what I was thinking of. In Oklahoma you probably don't have a major problem with ice but in Colorado and the rest of the West, that's a major concern. -Rocky

UPSNewbie

That's probably what I was thinking of. In Oklahoma you probably don't have a major problem with ice but in Colorado and the rest of the West, that's a major concern. -Rocky

In the last two years there hasn't been much ice, but once it hits, it lingers for a week and that's all.

I pull for a different company but I seen ups trips in nevada, ut, idaho, montana, colorado, and wyoming. sometimes though, it will just mostly be short turn pike sets, or long rocky sets

brown67

We pull everything in Colorado. Doubles, triples, rocky's, double 40's. Cutting down on triples here too. Pulling a lot more double 40's which is fine with me. Double 40's are a pain to turn, but they track so much better than triples.