UPS Freight targeted by Teamsters

O

Old Timer 21

Well as it has come out the Teamsters do want the UPS Freight Name. This is America and Freedom of Choice is every persons right!But read the fine print on your raises 50cents or 1.25 cent a mile. Well some of you people may think I have it good at UPS Freight because SENIORITY IS NOT AN ISSUE! AND THE FACT THAT THEY CAN BRING IN ROAD ROCKETS TO DO P&D WORK IS A DISCRIMINATORY ACT BY YOUR FEARLESS LEADERS.THE BENEFITS ARE A JOKE,SO SOME OF THESE POSTINGS ARE PROBABLY FROM THESE NEW HIRES OR SHORT TIMERS WHO GET WHAT THEY WANT.BUT ALOT OF US HARDLINER OLD TIMERS WHO NEVER WANTED THE UNION BEFORE NOW WANT IT BECAUSE OF THE GARBAGE THAT GOES ON AT THE UPS FREIGHT COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Cross

Grey Beard
Wel Old Timer, I am a 28+ employee of UPS Freight, (formerly known as Overnite), and I do not want anything to do with the I B T. Especially if they will be handling pension money for me.... Should there be a union for me to consider, I suppose I will look more into the APWA. Some folks seem to foreget that Jim Hoffa Sr. started the Teamsters with just 2 people...As for being part of "Buster" now, well it will be good for all that really want to make it a great place to work...I know some will be unhappy with "Buster" and they will swear up and down that the IBT will provide them with all their wishes and needs, as for me, well, I know better.

Hey Keep 'em between the ditches.

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
Wel Old Timer, I am a 28+ employee of UPS Freight, (formerly known as Overnite), and I do not want anything to do with the I B T. Especially if they will be handling pension money for me.... Should there be a union for me to consider, I suppose I will look more into the APWA. Some folks seem to foreget that Jim Hoffa Sr. started the Teamsters with just 2 people...As for being part of "Buster" now, well it will be good for all that really want to make it a great place to work...I know some will be unhappy with "Buster" and they will swear up and down that the IBT will provide them with all their wishes and needs, as for me, well, I know better.

Hey Keep 'em between the ditches.

Hoffa Sr started the union with 2 people?
I think you need to review your history of the IBT.
The IBT was established in 1903, Hoffa wasn't even born.

If your so concerned about the union pension why does the APWA's pension attract you? Is being union to you mean anything but the pension?

The only way APWA pension is going to do you any good is first they have to have one (pension that is) and second the scenario they are promisng is based on thirty years in that pension. You got another thirty years to give?

any122

adirondack man
Hoffa Sr started the union with 2 people?
I think you need to review your history of the IBT.
The IBT was established in 1903, Hoffa wasn't even born.

If your so concerned about the union pension why does the APWA's pension attract you? Is being union to you mean anything but the pension?

The only way APWA pension is going to do you any good is first they have to have one (pension that is) and second the scenario they are promisng is based on thirty years in that pension. You got another thirty years to give?
Teamster251 You our so thick headed like most from your state.Thats easy to see considering people from your neck of woods vote the same stupid ,drunk ,idiot senators into office over and over again.As a matter of fact some probably voted in the teamster election like you people vote in Mass.Second we on the freight side do have a pension which from what I read is in better shape and better funded then yours.You need to wake up fool and fix the broken mess that is running your pension and union in the ground.You voice your stupid opinion like the reamsters our the only reason why the whole trucking industry gets the wages it does.You seem to forget who your talking to we have been around along time with out any help from the corrupt thug teamsters and will be around alot longer now that UPS owns us.But you can goto the bank with this. We can proudly say we our here because of the people that work here not because of the teamsters.So you stay with that broken so called union and we be members of the APWA the union that will be properly run by the employees of UPS.:thumbup1:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
any122,

I have to laugh.... you are here still trying to "pimp" the APWA.

Let's face the FACTS:

The APWA exists in the form of a post office box.

The APWA is made up of 2 (two) feeder drivers.

The APWA is NOT a Union.

The 2 (two) self appointed leaders have never held office in their local, paid dues, or even been Union Stewards.

They have never represented ANYONE!

If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to be a Teamster....

Then go away.... Quit whining....:crying:

-Bug-

tae111

UPS Feeder drivers in our area make an excess of $28. per hour. We also get paid overtime after 8 hours. I was just talking with a UPS/freight driver and he told me he makes less than $21. per hour and doesn't get overtime until he works 43 hours. UPS just offered a .50 raise and is proposing overtime after 42 hours. He also said he contributes for his healthcare and there is no seniority for jobs or overtime. Take the Teamsters and there pension. Put the extra $8. bucks an hour in the 401K. The Teamsters are far from perfect but if you think you will be better off without them.Think again !! I have been a UPS full time Teamster for 30 years. All the benifits we recieve were barganed for by the teamsters. If you think the company will say "Hey lets bring UPS/Freight drivers pay up to Feeder driver pay. And lets give them protection against management harassment. and maybe a grievance procedure. and while we are at it lets give them time and a half for 6th day work and double time for Sunday" You have another thing comming. Also how is your vacation time. I get 7 weeks paid a year.

tae111

About the Teamster pensions, Yes the UPS/Teamster central states multi employer plans are having major problems right now in large part due to many of the other companys in the plan filing bankruptsies.Also new pension laws are forcing the pensions to be %100 funded in 7 years. Not all Teamster pensions are in the same boat though. Here in the northeast some of the plans are pretty good. Ours is at $3700. per mo. after 30 years. I know of one Teamsters master freight pension in our area that is paying over $5000. a month also one UPS one in upstate NY that is over $5000. I wonder if UPS will offer UPS/Freight workers anything close to that without union representation.

J

JonFrum

. . . I was just talking with a UPS/freight driver and he told me he makes less than $21. per hour and doesn't get overtime until he works 43 hours. UPS just offered a .50 raise and is proposing overtime after 42 hours . . .

Isn't a company required by Federal (and possibly State) Law to pay time-and-one-half (overtime pay) for all hours worked over 40 in a pay week, regardless of weather there is a labor union contract in place?
See . . . U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Overtime Pay

helloitsme

UPS Feeder drivers in our area make an excess of $28. per hour. We also get paid overtime after 8 hours. I was just talking with a UPS/freight driver and he told me he makes less than $21. per hour and doesn't get overtime until he works 43 hours. UPS just offered a .50 raise and is proposing overtime after 42 hours. He also said he contributes for his healthcare and there is no seniority for jobs or overtime. Take the Teamsters and there pension. Put the extra $8. bucks an hour in the 401K. The Teamsters are far from perfect but if you think you will be better off without them.Think again !! I have been a UPS full time Teamster for 30 years. All the benifits we recieve were barganed for by the teamsters. If you think the company will say "Hey lets bring UPS/Freight drivers pay up to Feeder driver pay. And lets give them protection against management harassment. and maybe a grievance procedure. and while we are at it lets give them time and a half for 6th day work and double time for Sunday" You have another thing comming. Also how is your vacation time. I get 7 weeks paid a year.

TAE...the driver you talked to is not up to top pay yet..that also means he is a short-timer and therefore does not have enough seniority to get a decent start time. At UPSF it goes by CLASSIFICATION SENIORITY . Let me give an example. Say you started out on the dock without a CDL. You obtained your CDL and now you want to be a big time trucker. You see a posting for a peddle driver position at your location and of all the folks in your location that applied for that spot,you have the most seniority. You win the spot. You are now at the bottom of the Peddle board. You work your way up the peddle board for a few years and you decide that you want to be a billy big rigger. Same process. You start over on the road board. Your Company seniority gives you priority for vacations,days off, and if there is a layoff....that also goes by company seniority.

I had to work my way up the ladder and so should the young punks too ! I have talked to feeder drivers from different yards and they say seniority practices vary from yard to yard on the Parcel Side.

As far as the freight guys being paid what the parcel guys do....that is a laugh and will never happen. The profit margin in freight is a lot less than the parcel side,and would just not be realistic. I do think we deserve to be paid more than what we are. Mostly I think our medical should be 100% paid for by the company. It's freaking exspensive ! It was very reasonable before UPS bought us....which I don't understand.

I don't think it would be wise to work for UPS for too long without representation. They just don't have a clue how to run a non-union company. Some of our Mgmt. have adopted the same attituide that I hear that the parcel side mgmt. has. This will be the death nell for UPS' hopes that UPSF will remain non-union.

Comparing apples to oranges. What single part of fedex is currently organized by the teamsters? None.

I did speak with one driver for overnight and his opinion is the teamsters will be voted in at UPS freight. Only time will tell though.

This is strange ,every driver I spoke with said NO Teamsters HERE, but if forced to have one , it would only be APWA, anything but the TEAMSTERS, They will not join the Chicken S""ts that ,SHOT AT THEM, CURSED THEM AND THERE FAMILYS, and said they would shut Overnite down,ETC. ETC. ETC. Now tell us you really think UPS Freight will let Teamsters in. IT'S NOT GOING TO happen. Sorry

This is strange ,every driver I spoke with said NO Teamsters HERE, but if forced to have one , it would only be APWA, anything but the TEAMSTERS, They will not join the Chicken S""ts that ,SHOT AT THEM, CURSED THEM AND THERE FAMILYS, and said they would shut Overnite down,ETC. ETC. ETC. Now tell us you really think UPS Freight will let Teamsters in. IT'S NOT GOING TO happen. Sorry

Where are you from? You must not be from the western US.

local776

dont bet on that --when your lips flap only hot air is expelled.

Ironshot

Relocator, local doesn't want to Hear, Speak or See no evil's the suck a*% Teamsters have or do on a regular basis. We will not forget the vile crap hurled at us by the TEAMSTERS. Just like on this board, you disagree and you're trashed in every way humanly possible. The "Overnite" group will vote the APWA in just to spite them IBT fools. By the way Local is this your second or third job on the members dime?

Ironshot

This is the Teamster way...
TEAMSTERS (IBT)
Houston Boss Convicted for Fixing Election, Taking Kickback
When it comes to securing a conviction, small details often matter most. And federal prosecutors had some small powerful ones in their case against Charles “Chuck” Crawley, former president of Teamsters Local 988 in Houston. Crawley, 56, headed the union until his removal in 2003, when an investigation concluded that he’d rigged his re-election of the previous year. On top of that, said prosecutors, he demanded a kickback from a union vendor who’d installed a phone system. These charges, incidentally, originated with Ed Stier and his staff. After four days of hearing testimony, jurors on December 8 voted to convict Crawley all counts. Crawley, ironically enough, had been elected as a reformer in 1997, two years after the removal of his predecessor, Richard Hammond, by a trustee for embezzlement of union funds; Hammond later was sentenced to four years in prison. With Crawley’s conviction, that makes four Local 988 presidents to be convicted on federal charges since 1992.

The prosecution’s charge of election-rigging rested on some key evidence. First, Crawley allegedly used the union’s computer system to generate phony ballots and then used the mail to cast 362 of those ballots in the names of union members whom he felt were unlikely to vote. His guess was about 90 percent accurate – in other words, not quite good enough. Thirty-six of those persons did vote. That raised suspicions and ultimately triggered an investigation. Even more decisive in determining the lack of legitimacy of the ballots was the stamp-reminder box in the upper-right-hand corner of each envelope. Business Extension Bureau, a Houston printing company, produced the ballots. Ro Royal, company executive vice president, testified that all return envelopes in his batch included a box in the upper-right-hand corner that contained the words: PLACE FIRST-CLASS POSTAGE HERE. The firm’s printing supervisor, Bill Washam, said he “absolutely did not” print any return envelopes lacking the indicia. Garry Kyle, a former union official executive, said he went to the boss’s house days before the mail-in voting deadline to help with his campaign. When he walked into Crawley’s study, he “knew something was wrong.” Kyle testified that he saw a printout of the Local 988 membership, a stack of unmarked election ballots and unsealed return envelopes. Kyle and Crawley then formed a mini-assembly line. Crawley chose members from the roster he predicted would not vote, marking phony ballots for them; Kyle placed each ballot in an envelope, sealed it, and placed a postage stamp on it.

Prosecutors also accused Crawley of accepting a $20,000 kickback from a local vendor who had installed a telephone system at the local’s new $1.7 million union hall. The vendor testified that he offered to sell the union a phone system for $32,000, but that Crawley asked him to add $20,000. Justice Department trial attorney Vincent Falvo said Crawley told the vendor who installed the telephone system in the building, “There will be no other bids. This is my union hall.”

Ned Barnett, Crawley’s attorney, believes his client was given a bum steer. Prosecutors unfairly targeted him, he said, while granting immunity to unreliable witnesses who lied on the stand to save themselves. “They wanted Mr. Crawley,” Barnett said. “They had their minds made up. He’s the prize. He’s the trophy.” Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Wright called the allegation absurd, saying the evidence pointing to Crawley’s guilt was overwhelming. Upon conviction, Crawley immediately was remanded into custody pending sentencing on March 23. (Houston Chronicle, 12/6/06, 12/9/06; other sources).

Hello ladies and gentlemen Yes I am a UPS freight driver, And yes we need the teamsters as much as you do.
We have not voted for the APWA as we are not sure they know what they are doing, And as most of us have never been in a union therefore we do not know what we are doing as well so we are counting on our new brothers and sisters in the package and feeder depts. to guide us so to speak.
Remember this we did not sign up at UPS they bought us and made us wear brown ( not that its bad!).
most of us only want to be seen as part of the UPS family and not looked down on as if we were intruders.
Yes we will vote for the teamsters in due time.
HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!
PS: My name is Fred thats all ya get for now. I have 21 Years at overnite and now as the rule goes i have 21 years at UPS
YAY ME WELCOME ABOARD.

fr8dude

We do not want the teamsters at ups freight. we have it good already and very few terminals will vote them in.

Once the Indy contract is available for review, we will see how good we currently have it and how few terminals will vote them in.:ohmy:

I think the opposite. I think we will gain enhancements to what we have now thus sweetening the pot and the dominoes wil start to fall.

bamaboy

Just Killin Time
The sad thing for UPS Freight is that 50% + 1 will decided if you are union or not. Until UPS Freight starts paying there own way, do not look for any golden eggs. It just does not work that way. The Indy contract is announced right after the UPS small package agreement. WOW, how interesting. Read what Hoffa had to say about it. Sometimes you have to make someone who loss feel like they won something. One terminal does not make a whole company. You freight folks have to decide for yourselves what you want. Just remember, you could loose your 401K match and that in the long run will be worth more than any Teamster contract. Just ask a package driver what their match is. Does ZERO sound better than 3%? The bottom line is that UPS Freight has to become the largest freight company in the WORLD, the same as UPS package to enjoy any benefits of being a UPS company.
It is not ROCKET science, just economics.....and the AMERICAN WAY!
:thumbup1:

U

UPS FREIGHT WORKER

You can keep the 3% match. I'll take a contract and the job security that goes along with it. I've had over a half dozen managers in just over 8 years and I'm tired of dealing with their B.S. Now with a contract we will end the favoritism and butt kissing that screws over the straight shooters at UPS Freight. Thank you INDY workers! You'll have more Teamsters on your side shortly. Oh! Bye, bye, apwa.