UPS Freight targeted by Teamsters

Big Babooba

The sad thing for UPS Freight is that 50% + 1 will decided if you are union or not. Until UPS Freight starts paying there own way, do not look for any golden eggs. It just does not work that way. The Indy contract is announced right after the UPS small package agreement. WOW, how interesting. Read what Hoffa had to say about it. Sometimes you have to make someone who loss feel like they won something. One terminal does not make a whole company. You freight folks have to decide for yourselves what you want.
Just remember, you could loose your 401K match and that in the long run will be worth more than any Teamster contract. Just ask a package driver what their match is. Does ZERO sound better than 3%? The bottom line is that UPS Freight has to become the largest freight company in the WORLD, the same as UPS package to enjoy any benefits of being a UPS company.
It is not ROCKET science, just economics.....and the AMERICAN WAY!
:thumbup1:
I've been with UPS for over 28 years. It is true, UPS does not match our 401 K. Do you also have a pension plan along with your 401K like we do? I'm just curious.

speedbug

tie------ditto ,,,,,why give up a good thing that you have some control over.The next question is will UPS keep the same 401k match for O-nite/UPS Freight?? As long as it continues, I don't see any reason for them to give their monies to someone else to control------matter of fact ,now that I think about it, I do remember someoen from UPS Freight indicate that it would remain--it just would be matched with UPS Stock!!

Here is a good question--------if there were not a Central States(or Western Conf......) and all of our UPS Drivers had their retirement in UPS Stock---would there be more of a concern to grow the business and cut costs and take some more volume away form our competitors to make the stock more valuable??

Just ask the people from ENRON what happens when you have your pension in company stock

speedbug

Overnite won't go union. Not all of Management is bad at UPS. Most are, but a few really try to make a difference. Really, for you long timers, how is it today compared to 15 years ago?

Comparing to 15 yrs ago mgmt people are more of an :censored2: than ever before. You only get the guys crossed the picket line wanting to go into mgmt or the guys who do all the a$$kissing. They come in with an I'm bad attitude and think they are bad-a$$es. I love it , it is alot of fun to take them on . Guys that go into mgmt now a days do not last long like they used to . If you know the contract and are willing to stand up to them you can have alot of fun making their life hell. Bring it on all you sups.

thigh19

Anyone seen any details on what is being offered by the Indy contract. Are they going to offer the contract nation wide? That's the only way I can see a UPS Freight contract working. I've been with Overnite/UPS Freight since 1990 and am pretty comfortable with the way thing are(Pretty much). I've heard rumors, but that is all.:confused:1

Last edited:

overupsfreight

UPS SLAVE
Well i can say that going with the Teamsters, can not be any worse then staying non union, and dealing with the new rules and policies UpS has set forth. UpS really needs to step up and take charge of this company, send someone from ACTUAL UpS to the terminals to get feedback on how the employees are treated and what they can do to improve the work day. For example there is so much Racism going on,Favoritism and management treating employees like dirt. Everyone at the terminal hates one another, and talk to one another in vulgar and demeaning words .No one understands the word teamwork ,co workers think other co workers are out to get them .I would say there are about 98% of the employees that are disgruntled are dissatisfied ,With the way that UpS has taken this company. The new raise is ridiculous and is a slap in the face, to the hard working men and women at UpS Freight. Mcdonalds has better structure and offers better service to their customers and employees. And one more thing package drivers UpS chose to purchase Overnite Transport, we didn't choose them,So you can drive around all day and not wave and be rude all you want, and act like you are better then us, with people like you on the road,i am ashamed to be associated with the same company.

ups79

Well i can say that going with the Teamsters, can not be any worse then staying non union, and dealing with the new rules and policies UpS has set forth. UpS really needs to step up and take charge of this company, send someone from ACTUAL UpS to the terminals to get feedback on how the employees are treated and what they can do to improve the work day. For example there is so much Racism going on,Favoritism and management treating employees like dirt. Everyone at the terminal hates one another, and talk to one another in vulgar and demeaning words .No one understands the word teamwork ,co workers think other co workers are out to get them .I would say there are about 98% of the employees that are disgruntled are dissatisfied ,With the way that UpS has taken this company. The new raise is ridiculous and is a slap in the face, to the hard working men and women at UpS Freight. Mcdonalds has better structure and offers better service to their customers and employees. And one more thing package drivers UpS chose to purchase Overnite Transport, we didn't choose them,So you can drive around all day and not wave and be rude all you want, and act like you are better then us, with people like you on the road,i am ashamed to be associated with the same company.
It might be best for you to look for a different occupation. You sound so unhappy.

chrisyax530

hey guys, im new to brown cafe.. i work for ups freight in ny. we are in the process of signing cards and have been told that we need 85 percent signed in order to go union. it has always been a rule of thumb majority rules. 50 percent plus one vote would aquire the union. why do we need 85 percent, how are we different than the rest of the country????

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
And one more thing package drivers UpS chose to purchase Overnite Transport, we didn't choose them,So you can drive around all day and not wave and be rude all you want, and act like you are better then us, with people like you on the road,i am ashamed to be associated with the same company.

a non wave is better than a middle finger any day to me at least

tommyl62

michigan metro detroit
we teamsters should of told ups one company one union package freight full time part time one union one company we had ups by the short hairs and let this happen its to bad maybe freight will be in the teamsters in 5 years when we strike like we should of did this year :biting:

Fullhouse

hey guys, im new to brown cafe.. i work for ups freight in ny. we are in the process of signing cards and have been told that we need 85 percent signed in order to go union. it has always been a rule of thumb majority rules. 50 percent plus one vote would aquire the union. why do we need 85 percent, how are we different than the rest of the country????
Union Meeting last Sat and the Pres stated that all he needed was 65% of cards signed. Also stated that the way new barns are organized has been changed a little bit. He boasted that he will be able to get the percentage he needs in a couple of days, 500 potential new members out of 6 terminals in South Carolina. He said the other week that one barn the members couldn't wait for them set up the organizing trailer, they just wanted cards to sign. Truth? who knows but that is was he was preaching.

overupsfreight

UPS SLAVE
And one more thing package drivers UpS chose to purchase Overnite Transport, we didn't choose them,So you can drive around all day and not wave and be rude all you want, and act like you are better then us, with people like you on the road,i am ashamed to be associated with the same company.

a non wave is better than a middle finger any day to me at least

Hey ED if you were ever on the same road as me and shot me a bird you would be swallowing your teeth. but wait that would never happen because your a gutless coward that talk sh1t over the computer.

J

JonFrum

Chrisyax530,

It takes 30% of signed authorization cards to demonstrate a "showing of interest" to the National Labor Relations Board, who will then conduct and election.

It takes 50% plus one vote to win the election.

But since there are several reasons people sign cards, and then don't follow through with voting for the union, many unions require a higher percentage of signed cards before they will petition the NLRB for an election. Your union has probably lost elections in the past even though they had signed cards from 60 or 70 percent of the bargaining unit.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I tried to be cordial to the UPS Freight driver on my route. He's got the personality of a wet fart. I no longer even look at him when I drive by. It goes both ways. BM

A

Anony. 16 yr vet ovnt

I am sorry to say the teamsters have gotten in at our location. since the contract was ratified, I have lost over 500.00 per quarter in 401K matching funds, I have lost the opportunity to have a Roth 401K, (unless the options have changed since I last looked), I have lost money on my fueling pay, my drops and hooks pay, and my delay pay. And the BIG raise every one was talking about was pitiful to say the least. I hope everyone is HAPPY!! that signed a card to bring this great opportunity to fruition. On the plus side, my benefits are slightly cheaper, but I lost by half on the amount of insurance I could get on my spouse. Some Deal!