UPS is starving drivers and mass are quitting!

542thruNthru

However many RPCD positions were in your center at the time of ratification is how many minimum RPCD jobs they have to keep.

Think it’s supplement based where it’s agreed with each center how many rpcd will be in each building. Subject to change each contract. Can also change if need be
It's actually in Article 22.4. It was the number of FT drivers that were working a M-friend route on Aug 1st 2018. So those RPCDs that were T-S didn't count towards the red circled number.

"The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building, shall be verified and agreed to by each Local Union and the Company Labor Representative, as of August 1, 2018 and shall be protected jobs. “Protected jobs” shall include RPCDs that will continue to be replaced by employees covered under Article 41, Section 2."

Thebrownblob

It's actually in Article 22.4. It was the number of FT drivers that were working a M-friend route on Aug 1st 2018. So those RPCDs that were T-S didn't count towards the red circled number.

"The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building, shall be verified and agreed to by each Local Union and the Company Labor Representative, as of August 1, 2018 and shall be protected jobs. “Protected jobs” shall include RPCDs that will continue to be replaced by employees covered under Article 41, Section 2."
Reading and getting the company to abide by the contract is hard for some. although in the case of. @PT Car Washer I’m going to assume you’d rather people not read it. That way he keeps his sweet gig.

AKCoverMan

So I see both a red circle number of minimum RPCDs that should have been established either Aug 1, 2018 or the first day of having 22.4s and Sat Ground operational in your center As well as a limit of no more Than 25% of the number of RPCDs in building,

On top of that is the “no RPCD position shall be replaced by a 22.4” part so if a bid route driver retires the new bid driver has to be RPCD.

Maybe with so little movement in your building they are skirting by these rules but if not a grievance in is order.

AKCoverMan

There have been 15 22.4 positions created in the last 3.5 years and not one has become an RPCD despite retirements.
So based above I’m thinking the top 22.4s in your building probably have a case to file a grievance with remedy being they be promoted to RPCD at top rate or appropriate spot in progression with retro pay between 22.4 pay and RPCD pay back to the day they should have been promoted.

Company probably fight all the way to arbitration but numbers should be pretty clear cut.

AKCoverMan

Unless… you said over past 3.5 years they created these jobs,,, if these were the original 22.4s in your building I.e. didnt have Sat Ground or ANY 22.4 the first year or so of contract then it’s possible company is within the limits of the contract. You would need to still have like 60 RPCDs to balance the 15 22.4s.

And still…the 22.4s would have to be made RPCD if they won bid of route vacated by retiree or another route vacated by someone else bidding the retiree route.

But someone gotta file, if company can break the rule and not get called for it they expect to be able to do it all the time.

Pullman Brown

In a building with multiple centers another reason of getting rid of a two-tier classification is it gets way to complicated. It’s musical chairs. Drivers are less likely to move centers if everybody is RPCD. Posting these jobs always happens at the beginning of the year when the company is more likely to freeze hiring. We had a lot 22.4s move to another center and then the company has a hiring freeze and you are understaffed!

AKCoverMan

In a building with multiple centers another reason of getting rid of a two-tier classification is it gets way to complicated. It’s musical chairs. Drivers are less likely to move centers if everybody is RPCD. Posting these jobs always happens at the beginning of the year when the company is more likely to freeze jobs. We had a lot 22.4s move to another center and then the company freezes jobs and you are understaffed!
I can only imagine. Never seen one of thes multi center buildings. Our biggest building in state puts out like 50 routes and my little building puts out 15. 🤣

AKCoverMan

Seems you hear more people talking about getting hosed by UPS than you hear people claiming to hand it to UPS.
File as much as you complain. My tiny building had like 200 9.5 and 8 hour grievance over past two years. I’ve gotten to hand out a lot of checks. Added a preload staff and more FT driving jobs. It’s not instant gratification but file the dang grievance!

Thebrownblob

File as much as you complain. My tiny building had like 200 9.5 and 8 hour grievance over past two years. I’ve gotten to hand out a lot of checks. Added a preload staff and more FT driving jobs. It’s not instant gratification but file the dang grievance!

It’s really not that hard, and surprisingly the company actually figures it out little by little.