JackDR

Chasing after garbage cans isn't quite the same as peddling cardboard.

Different ends of the product stream.
I understand it’s different work. UPS is way easier. In the aspect of route optimization for just the sake of a driving job, UPS’s system/algorithm needs much improvement.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I may be a millennial by age/birthyear but I bet could outwork you any day of the week. I’ve delivered beer for AB, picked up trash/recycling/yard waste for WM, and deliver packages now for good ol’ UPS. I also serve in the military. UPS is so stuck in doings things “the way they’ve always been done” which is a giant handicap. I’m not bitching about pay or benefits, simply things that SHOULD change, but never will if the questions not asked.

The questions have been asked for years upon years.

UPS timelines rival those of glaciers. Get used to it.

Indecisi0n

I may be a millennial by age/birthyear but I bet could outwork you any day of the week. I’ve delivered beer for AB, picked up trash/recycling/yard waste for WM, and deliver packages now for good ol’ UPS. I also serve in the military. UPS is so stuck in doings things “the way they’ve always been done” which is a giant handicap. I’m not bitching about pay or benefits, simply things that SHOULD change, but never will if the questions not asked.
They are so cute when they first start.

JackDR

The questions have been asked for years upon years.

UPS timelines rival those of glaciers. Get used to it.
Haha I’m used to processes taking time (military) but damn...UPS uniforms haven’t evolved for decades. Big Brown should partner up with Under Armour, get some moving UA billboard Ads on the sides of trucks and get good quality, highly practical uniforms that both keep you cool in summer and warm in peak. It’s sad my unborn grandkids will be retired before any change is made at this rate.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Thanks for serving. Sadly, UPS is a snail of a company, and I think it's going to get worse, maybe much worse, before anything gets better. A lot of good drivers will be retiring at my hub this year and a few are just waiting to see how the contract plays out. The only way they're replacing them is with over-eager, under-abled youngsters who only care about the number on the check at the end of the week and not the big picture. They will be pushovers and the company knows it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Haha I’m used to processes taking time (military) but damn...UPS uniforms haven’t evolved for decades. Big Brown should partner up with Under Armour, get some moving UA billboard Ads on the sides of trucks and get good quality, highly practical uniforms that both keep you cool in summer and warm in peak. It’s sad my unborn grandkids will be retired before any change is made at this rate.

Maybe you should incorporate these ideas into your letter of intent, spend the rest of this evening composing it, and submit it first thing in the morning.

You have a real future with the company.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Been driving for UPS for 4 years. I worked for Waste Management for 5 years prior to being hired off the street at big brown. I know the technology exists to improve UPS package delivery operations, I was shocked how far behind they were when I started, and even more shocked I still haven’t heard of any “coming soon” stories
If you were a garbage truck driver, why oh why would you take a step backward and put on browns??

JackDR

Maybe you should incorporate these ideas into your letter of intent, spend the rest of this evening composing it, and submit it first thing in the morning.

You have a real future with the company.
Appreciate your sarcasm. I’m not a ladder climber. I’m an intelligent hard worker. It’s sad that UPS implements on-road supervisors who’ve never been a package delivery driver. And the rest of management above them (most of which) are clueless as well when it comes to actual “frontline operations”. They see numbers on spreadsheets/reports and only care about the bottom line.

JackDR

Thanks for serving. Sadly, UPS is a snail of a company, and I think it's going to get worse, maybe much worse, before anything gets better. A lot of good drivers will be retiring at my hub this year and a few are just waiting to see how the contract plays out. The only way they're replacing them is with over-eager, under-abled youngsters who only care about the number on the check at the end of the week and not the big picture. They will be pushovers and the company knows it.
I agree, and it’s sad. I’m in the midst of a huge retirement wave in my center. I went from 3rd from bottom of seniority list to 18-19th in just a year. Feels good to be higher on the list, but all the new drivers are just kids.

Indecisi0n

That's actually good for us. The runners will pay into the pensions but end up injuring out and quiting before 5 years making them unable to pull their money out. Idiots.

Dhydratd

I may be a millennial by age/birthyear but I bet could outwork you any day of the week...
I'm sure you could. Please continue to do so as the more you do, the less I have to do. Outwork me every day of the week, I don't really care. I still get paid the same as you do.
BTW, I've been doing this for 30 years. I'd bet my next paycheck you won't make it this far.

JackDR

If you were a garbage truck driver, why oh why would you take a step backward and put on browns??
If you think big brown is backwards from Waste Management, go drive for WM and pickup yard waste in the late summer/fall for 60 hours in 4.5 days every week for less $/hr than UPS. Peak doesn’t even compare.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Appreciate your sarcasm. I’m not a ladder climber. I’m an intelligent hard worker. It’s sad that UPS implements on-road supervisors who’ve never been a package delivery driver. And the rest of management above them (most of which) are clueless as well when it comes to actual “frontline operations”. They see numbers on spreadsheets/reports and only care about the bottom line.

Submit your letter and change things.

Ane, good luck.

Everyone here can laugh it up, but he's not wrong.

He's new. You weren't around long enough to see that any semi-intelligent driver or supervisor had ideas that would streamline operations and make life easier for hourlies as well as management.

Those ideas were never followed up on when presented.