BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
What do you suggest for route optimization
3D7A2813-5636-44AF-989B-6B9DDFB0A3A3.gif

JackDR

I'm sure you could. Please continue to do so as the more you do, the less I have to do. Outwork me every day of the week, I don't really care. I still get paid the same as you do.
BTW, I've been doing this for 30 years. I'd bet my next paycheck you won't make it this far.
You’re the icon and true representation of one negative aspect of a union. If the union incorporated a meritocracy, you would’ve been gone long ago. I’ll bet your whole retirement I’ll make it further than you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Appreciate your sarcasm. I’m not a ladder climber. I’m an intelligent hard worker. It’s sad that UPS implements on-road supervisors who’ve never been a package delivery driver
You're an off the street hire who is complaining about on road supervisor who haven't worked their way up?
Wow

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just a couple inquiries:
1) Our uniforms are extremely outdated & not made for the current task at hand. Anybody know of anticipated release of new driver uniforms?
2) Personal dress & appearance policy is a joke. Policies need to change with the times. I can maintain a clean professional appearance with a well groomed beard or 5:00 shadow. Plus the “polishable leather” shoes is ridiculous. You want me to deliver 350 packages to 180-200 stops in 90+ degree heat?? Better be okay with me wearing my all black breathable running shoes.
3) DIADs need to die. The UPS technology/OS is so outdated, & DIADs are overly bulky. Any insight on new handheld devices? Better yet, tablets with an in-truck dock for live GPS routing to every stop throughout the day? No more worries about going “blind”!
Shave. Nobody wants a grubby, tattooed driver. If we wanted that, we would hire LaserShip.

JackDR

You're an off the street hire who is complaining about on road supervisor who haven't worked their way up?
Wow
Yes, exactly. Idk wtf you’re “WOW”-ing at. I’m a driver. I’ve driven for a decade & have more “route” & logistics/optimization experience than any of the on-road supervisors in my center. Having a good work history/ resumé and being hired off the street as a driver is not at all the same as putting an in-experienced on-road sup in charge of multiple drivers doing a job the sup has never done.

A pre-requisite for being an on-road supervisor should be at least one year of being a package delivery driver. Consider it the probationary period. Even driving a route 3-4 days/week and focusing on “managerial” tasks for the other 1-2 days would be a perfect first year to being an on-road sup.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Yes, exactly. Idk wtf you’re “WOW”-ing at. I’m a driver. I’ve driven for a decade & have more “route” & logistics/optimization experience than any of the on-road supervisors in my center. Having a good work history/ resumé and being hired off the street as a driver is not at all the same as putting an in-experienced on-road sup in charge of multiple drivers doing a job the sup has never done.

A pre-requisite for being an on-road supervisor should be at least one year of being a package delivery driver. Consider it the probationary period. Even driving a route 3-4 days/week and focusing on “managerial” tasks for the other 1-2 days would be a perfect first year to being an on-road sup.

Well here's your first problem . You are either in management or you are not. Your OK with a union member being sent home for a on road management member to work those two to three days?
Why join a job that has appearance standards, a union workforce, and outdated technology?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Appreciate your sarcasm. I’m not a ladder climber. I’m an intelligent hard worker. It’s sad that UPS implements on-road supervisors who’ve never been a package delivery driver. And the rest of management above them (most of which) are clueless as well when it comes to actual “frontline operations”. They see numbers on spreadsheets/reports and only care about the bottom line.

and you were doing fine until that statement. Do not lump us all together. I have done the job, supervised the job and now manage the job, all with double digit experience. It is a business and you have to make money, it is not a social experiment. Hang in there you will be fine.

JackDR

Four whole years in.

He's a true old-timer.
The “old-timers” are the reason change will never come anytime in the near future. All the 55+ year olds who are so resistant to change and any technology advances. Retire, take your pension, and let the company adapt/evolve as it should. It shouldn’t be the same today as it was when you started sorting before I was born.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
"Idk wtf you’re “WOW”-ing at. "
I am wowing at you unmitigated gall I've never working your way up to a driver from in the building part time and you got the ball to complain about somebody else doing that
Hubris, simply hubris

rod

Retired 22 years
I just cancelled Waste Management. If they can't grab your garbage can with an automatic arm from their air-conditioned cab they won't pick you up. That's not practical were I live because the bears get into your garbage if the container can be tipped over. Sometimes new technology isn't the answer.

JackDR

and you were doing fine until that statement. Do not lump us all together. I have done the job, supervised the job and now manage the job, all with double digit experience. It is a business and you have to make money, it is not a social experiment. Hang in there you will be fine.
I said “most of which” because I do know that there are anomalies out there who have served in each level from front line ops to on road sup to upper management. It’s just not the “norm” unfortunately.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
The “old-timers” are the reason change will never come anytime in the near future. All the 55+ year olds who are so resistant to change and any technology advances. Retire, take your pension, and let the company adapt/evolve as it should. It shouldn’t be the same today as it was when you started sorting before I was born.
Yeh, UPS won’t change because us old timers don’t want it.........smh

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Bruh, I don't think you have any freaking clue what it takes to rollout new tech on the scale UPS has to. There's a reason it goes slow.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

They don't have enough drivers who want to go into management, so the company has no choice but to assign people who have never driven to fill the positions.