UPS Leadership are you there?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You are correct and that is what myself and most people plan for. However, being that minimum wage in my area is still $7.25 and they are pushing to raise it to $15, I'm thinking it will have to accelerate the rate of inflation, probably the day I retire.

I agree that increasing minimum wage will have an impact on prices, and I used to think that it would lead to hyper-inflation, but I don't think it's a direct ratio. We might see a few ticks increase in inflation. But the market tends to make adjustments, meaning that many businesses that rely on a minimum wage work force will shut down, or cut back on jobs. People who think they are helping anyone by increasing minimum wage really don't understand economics. All it does is increase unemployment amongst low-skill workers, raise the bar to entry into the workforce, and force those who do get the increase to work harder or lose their job.

And think about the skilled workers who make around $15/hr now. Suddenly they are making minimum wage, but no one seems to care about the people in the middle. If you are going to have a minimum wage, you might as well go full stupid and enact an entirely goverment directed wage scale where everyone gets an increase commensurate with the minimum wage increases. Think of the massive amounts of unemployment that policy would cause.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Yep, because the hourly employees are the work horses of UPS. Not some corporate chair spinner.
I know you are kidding around but the skill set needed in Corporate UPS is way less common than high school grads that didn't have the motivation to go to college.
Everyone at UPS serves a useful purpose or they wouldn't be there.
It's easy to sit on the sidelines as a Union employee never taking any chances and obviously not understanding the processes of change and control managed by Corporate management.
I do get a lot of chuckles from ignorant comments from the peanut gallery so ... carry on.

542thruNthru

I know you are kidding around but the skill set needed in Corporate UPS is way less common than high school grads that didn't have the motivation to go to college.
It's easy to sit on the sidelines as a Union employee never taking any chances and obviously not understanding the processes of change and control managed by Corporate management.
I do get a lot of chuckles from ignorant comments from the peanut gallery so ... carry on.

Were all hard to replace in our own way but depending on the "skill set" and area. Most are just as easy to replace as drivers.

My wife works for a big tech company. She's had plenty of people that have worked under her that couldn't figure out a toaster.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Were all hard to replace in our own way but depending on the "skill set" and area. Most are just as easy to replace as drivers.

My wife works for a big tech company. She's had plenty of people that have worked under her that couldn't figure out a toaster.
I agree and they probably had a Masters degree.
Common sense seems to go down the higher the degree.

Glenlake55Wally

Ha! I haven't served a useful purpose in close to 20 years. In fact, I work in a large group and the entire friend'ing group doesn't serve any useful purpose. I just hope I can stay under the transformation radar a little while longer so I can retire.

G

Gsd

Ha! I haven't served a useful purpose in close to 20 years. In fact, I work in a large group and the entire friend'ing group doesn't serve any useful purpose. I just hope I can stay under the transformation radar a little while longer so I can retire.
Ain’t no rumors of no transformation round these parts!

Glenlake55Wally

No way. They all think their job is difficult.

He has to be Corporate. Probably something's to do with Social Media of Marketing. ;)

Corporate, yes. Marketing, no. Good guess though. There are no shortage of people who serve no useful purpose there! Many of us know it when we’re in foolish jobs that don’t add value. The ones you should worry about are the ones who don’t realize it and think their idiotic projects are helping the company. These are the ones who seem to move up the totem pole.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

My wife works on her knees for a big tech company. She's had plenty of people that have worked it in behind her that couldn't figure out how to keep the bag on her head

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Good post

th