UPS Rising just announced it PASSED by Default.

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by RealPerson, Oct 5, 2018.

1. RealPerson

RealPerson Active Member

Despite of all of these efforts made by the NNC, Local Unions and individual members to encourage voting, only 44.3 percent of the eligible UPS membership participated in the ratification referendum on the National Master Agreement. Of the 209,043 members who were eligible to vote, only 92,604 (44.3%) cast a vote. The results of the tabulation show that 42,356 (45.8%) voted for the proposed contract and 50,248 (54.2%) voted against it.

In such circumstances where less than 50 percent of the membership votes on a final contract offer, the International Constitution provides that “a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer…” Failure to reject the offer by at least two-thirds vote of those voting “shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.” As the vote tally indicates, a majority of members did not vote and a two-thirds majority of those who did vote did not oppose the contract.

The International Constitution does not give the NNC an option in these circumstances. As required by law, the NNC informed UPS of the ratification requirements at the beginning of negotiations. This provision has been in the Constitution since the 1991 Convention. If a majority of the eligible members had exercised their right to vote in this ratification, as did the members employed by UPS Freight, then a simple majority of those voting would have been needed to either accept or reject the agreement. But not enough members covered by the National Master UPS Agreement exercised their right to vote. And as we saw in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, winning the popular vote does not necessarily win the election when the Constitution requires you to win the Electoral College vote. As Teamsters, we too must abide by the rules in our Constitution. Thus, the National Master UPS Agreement has been ratified.

Your Thoughts????

2. yadadamean116

yadadamean116 Member

Good job members. Way to pay dues and not be apart of the vote. Lazy

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

You guys are f*****.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  4. siouxman

siouxman siouxman

We have a contract

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. 2033

2033 Well-Known Member

So the first offer was the last offer? Or do these people not know how to read?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Hroller

Hroller Member

In all honesty....if THIS contract actually does pass because of this technicality....I'm dropping my union membership
    F' -em They aint' getting another dime for me.
    Call me a scab....

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. browned out

browned out Well-Known Member

How do we change the Teamster constitution?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

When do I get my raise and retro check?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Wake Up!

Good luck. I guess the supplements that didn’t pass will be implemented as well? Does this language pertain to them as well?

10. Crash-n-Burn

Crash-n-Burn Finished work

That's really stupid

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  11. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

:censored2:ing bull:censored2:.

12. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

If this truly is being pushed through, I weep for those just starting out here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

They forced supplements last time, this wouldn’t be any different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

Didn't support this contract but if it would have been voted in, so be it. The fact that a first ballot is going to be forced on us is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Space8323

Space8323 Member

#MeToo

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  16. browned out

browned out Well-Known Member

Everyone should stop paying dues and opt out of the union if they impose this POS. The Teamsters Hoffa Taylor pieces of FN garbage penalizing those who care enough to vote is unfathomable. They have known for decades that low voter participation historically happens at UPS.

NO one is a scab. Paying Teamsters to fire you, cut your benefits, divide the membership and create inferior jobs is not worthy of any dues. Actually, Hoffa and Taylor are the scabs, criminals, and hypocrites. Company Controlled Union

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • List
  17. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Wake Up!

Except last time the National actually passed.

18. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Apparently it did this time as well if we are to believe what they just released.

19. just chillin'

just chillin' Active Member

So the bylaws that stated 50% 2/3 on a best and last final offer is bull crap? When the heck did they ever say this was THE FINAL OFFER? with that logic if we had 6% more people voting we’d be on strike? I’m so confused

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Tony Q

Tony Q Well-Known Member

Told you so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List