UPS Rising just announced it PASSED by Default.

RealPerson

Despite of all of these efforts made by the NNC, Local Unions and individual members to encourage voting, only 44.3 percent of the eligible UPS membership participated in the ratification referendum on the National Master Agreement. Of the 209,043 members who were eligible to vote, only 92,604 (44.3%) cast a vote. The results of the tabulation show that 42,356 (45.8%) voted for the proposed contract and 50,248 (54.2%) voted against it.

In such circumstances where less than 50 percent of the membership votes on a final contract offer, the International Constitution provides that “a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer…” Failure to reject the offer by at least two-thirds vote of those voting “shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.” As the vote tally indicates, a majority of members did not vote and a two-thirds majority of those who did vote did not oppose the contract.

The International Constitution does not give the NNC an option in these circumstances. As required by law, the NNC informed UPS of the ratification requirements at the beginning of negotiations. This provision has been in the Constitution since the 1991 Convention. If a majority of the eligible members had exercised their right to vote in this ratification, as did the members employed by UPS Freight, then a simple majority of those voting would have been needed to either accept or reject the agreement. But not enough members covered by the National Master UPS Agreement exercised their right to vote. And as we saw in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, winning the popular vote does not necessarily win the election when the Constitution requires you to win the Electoral College vote. As Teamsters, we too must abide by the rules in our Constitution. Thus, the National Master UPS Agreement has been ratified.

Your Thoughts????

siouxman

siouxman
Despite of all of these efforts made by the NNC, Local Unions and individual members to encourage voting, only 44.3 percent of the eligible UPS membership participated in the ratification referendum on the National Master Agreement. Of the 209,043 members who were eligible to vote, only 92,604 (44.3%) cast a vote. The results of the tabulation show that 42,356 (45.8%) voted for the proposed contract and 50,248 (54.2%) voted against it.

In such circumstances where less than 50 percent of the membership votes on a final contract offer, the International Constitution provides that “a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer…” Failure to reject the offer by at least two-thirds vote of those voting “shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.” As the vote tally indicates, a majority of members did not vote and a two-thirds majority of those who did vote did not oppose the contract.

The International Constitution does not give the NNC an option in these circumstances. As required by law, the NNC informed UPS of the ratification requirements at the beginning of negotiations. This provision has been in the Constitution since the 1991 Convention. If a majority of the eligible members had exercised their right to vote in this ratification, as did the members employed by UPS Freight, then a simple majority of those voting would have been needed to either accept or reject the agreement. But not enough members covered by the National Master UPS Agreement exercised their right to vote. And as we saw in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, winning the popular vote does not necessarily win the election when the Constitution requires you to win the Electoral College vote. As Teamsters, we too must abide by the rules in our Constitution. Thus, the National Master UPS Agreement has been ratified.

Your Thoughts????
We have a contract

Hroller

In all honesty....if THIS contract actually does pass because of this technicality....I'm dropping my union membership
friend' -em They aint' getting another dime for me.
Call me a scab....

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Good luck. I guess the supplements that didn’t pass will be implemented as well? Does this language pertain to them as well?

browned out

In all honesty....if THIS contract actually does pass because of this technicality....I'm dropping my union membership
friend' -em They aint' getting another dime for me.
Call me a scab....

Everyone should stop paying dues and opt out of the union if they impose this POS. The Teamsters Hoffa Taylor pieces of FN garbage penalizing those who care enough to vote is unfathomable. They have known for decades that low voter participation historically happens at UPS.

NO one is a scab. Paying Teamsters to fire you, cut your benefits, divide the membership and create inferior jobs is not worthy of any dues. Actually, Hoffa and Taylor are the scabs, criminals, and hypocrites. Company Controlled Union

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
So the bylaws that stated 50% 2/3 on a best and last final offer is bull crap? When the heck did they ever say this was THE FINAL OFFER? with that logic if we had 6% more people voting we’d be on strike? I’m so confused