UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

Oldfart

Very true. Nice and brains are 2 different things. If someone calls another dumb and believes they are smarter than that person, shouldn't their intelligence allow them to make more money? If I am so dumb, why have I been able to make more than some of those calling me dumb? Another way to look at it. If they are so smart, why haven't they been able to earn a better living than me?

McFeely

Huge Member
OldShart, I’m certain that your higher-than-mine wage at FedEx has zero to do with your intelligence or my lack thereof. It only shows that you started with the company at a time when couriers were topped out faster, nothing more.

vantexan

It's funny. I am just a dumb ole truck driver like most on here. Most claim to be smarter than me but I make more than many of those. If you are so much smarter than me, why do I make more money than you. Sounds like many on here have underachieved.
Because you got in when it took less than 2 years, not 30+, to top out. It certainly isn't because of your sparkling personality.

Oldfart

OldShart, I’m certain that your higher-than-mine wage at FedEx has zero to do with your intelligence or my lack thereof. It only shows that you started with the company at a time when couriers were topped out faster, nothing more.
Not hardly. We all make the same once you top out. If it takes 10 years or 15 years, all pays the same. Like I said, if others are so much smarter than me why didnt they let their intelligence take them to a higher paying job

vantexan

Not hardly. We all make the same once you top out. If it takes 10 years or 15 years, all pays the same. Like I said, if others are so much smarter than me why didnt they let their intelligence take them to a higher paying job
It now takes 9. But before that you topped out folk were actually pulling away from us with bigger raises. The only way any of us would ever catch you is if you retired and we worked many years to get to where you were when you retired. And with inflation our money wouldn't be worth what your's was when you retired. You just don't realize the magnitude of what they were doing to us. Only extremely high turnover of new hires got it changed. And you can go on about why didn't we get a better job but I for one hung in for the pension. And glad I did because it let's me travel. By the way agreed with my wife to come back in October and go back to work. Going to throw all of my pension into savings to get house paid off.

Oldfart

It now takes 9. But before that you topped out folk were actually pulling away from us with bigger raises. The only way any of us would ever catch you is if you retired and we worked many years to get to where you were when you retired. And with inflation our money wouldn't be worth what your's was when you retired. You just don't realize the magnitude of what they were doing to us. Only extremely high turnover of new hires got it changed. And you can go on about why didn't we get a better job but I for one hung in for the pension. And glad I did because it let's me travel. By the way agreed with my wife to come back in October and go back to work. Going to throw all of my pension into savings to get house paid off.
Still doesnt matter if you have 43 years, 34 years, we still make the same. Topped out is topped out.

vantexan

Still doesnt matter if you have 43 years, 34 years, we still make the same. Topped out is topped out.
No, you topped out in less than two years. There were plenty of couriers who'd worked 15+ years and were making $5-$6hr less than you. And the way they were rigging it you topped out folk were for a number of years getting 3% raises on higher pay while we were getting 2% raises. You were pulling away from us. At the rate it was going that 15 year employee making $5hr less would be making $6.50-$7hr less than you by the time he hit 20 years. The only way he could ever catch you was if you retired. He'd still be way behind top out though. For close to 20 years until they came up with this new pay plan new hires had to accept a lot less than topped out employees. You made enough to have a life, go to NASCAR races, pay off your mortgage. They had to settle for apartment or trailer living, staying home, drive used cars, look forward to a poor retirement. For a long time it wasn't the same deal you got.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Very true. Nice and brains are 2 different things. If someone calls another dumb and believes they are smarter than that person, shouldn't their intelligence allow them to make more money? If I am so dumb, why have I been able to make more than some of those calling me dumb? Another way to look at it. If they are so smart, why haven't they been able to earn a better living than me?
Well I must be a genius compared to you, because I'm a top rate ups driver.

bacha29

No, you topped out in less than two years. There were plenty of couriers who'd worked 15+ years and were making $5-$6hr less than you. And the way they were rigging it you topped out folk were for a number of years getting 3% raises on higher pay while we were getting 2% raises. You were pulling away from us. At the rate it was going that 15 year employee making $5hr less would be making $6.50-$7hr less than you by the time he hit 20 years. The only way he could ever catch you was if you retired. He'd still be way behind top out though. For close to 20 years until they came up with this new pay plan new hires had to accept a lot less than topped out employees. You made enough to have a life, go to NASCAR races, pay off your mortgage. They had to settle for apartment or trailer living, staying home, drive used cars, look forward to a poor retirement. For a long time it wasn't the same deal you got.
VT Here's what he's forgetting.....the inflationary 70's and 80's Pay rate was constantly moving up because of inflation. Then inflation settled down then deflated to the point where the Fed is today trying to get inflation back UP to 2%. Since they couldn't pull the wages of long term employees back down new hires started at a lower rate smaller raises and longer top out timelines. Which will continue as long as there is a sufficient supply of labor available.

vantexan

VT Here's what he's forgetting.....the inflationary 70's and 80's Pay rate was constantly moving up because of inflation. Then inflation settled down then deflated to the point where the Fed is today trying to get inflation back UP to 2%. Since they couldn't pull the wages of long term employees back down new hires started at a lower rate smaller raises and longer top out timelines. Which will continue as long as there is a sufficient supply of labor available.
No, Express has a new pay plan that's much more generous. You are correct to a point but FedEx also used midrange employees to both pay for the more generous pay for topped out employees, and to help them allocate funds to build Ground infrastructure, which was the main goal. We fell on our swords for the good of them.

Oldfart

You are not even answering the post that was presented to me. I was told I make more money because I was here when you topped out quicker. If you have been here 30 years, you topped out slower but you are still topped out. No matter how long you have been topped, you still make the same as a person that topped out in a short period. Topped out is topped out.

Oldfart

Here is the post I answered. No matter how long it took a courier to top out, we all make the same.

vantexan

You are not even answering the post that was presented to me. I was told I make more money because I was here when you topped out quicker. If you have been here 30 years, you topped out slower but you are still topped out. No matter how long you have been topped, you still make the same as a person that topped out in a short period. Topped out is topped out.
Well that makes everyone feel better. You made hundreds of thousands more over those 30 years but if they finally make what you do they should be thrilled. Glad new hires make it in 9 now. Hopefully Fedex will keep it's word.