Ups wants to go back to the table

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I thought Hawfa and Taylor HAD to invoke the constitution. That's what they claim, anyways.

That's what the IBT Constitution says, but at the time I don't believe UPS was 100% sure that was going to happen so they went into damage control immediately.

Then, I believe it was almost 2 hours after the voting results, Hoffa invoked the IBT Constitution.

I actually can't blame UPS for try to cover their :censored2:.

specter208

According to Tyler and his understanding is this. The contract is technically considered ratified but from several sources including from D. Taylor himself their is still a possibility that some changes can made to the contract. The only thing though is that we will not be able to vote on it again.

Daf

I just find it hard to believe that UPS didn't know that the IBT Constitution required a 2/3 vote or at least 50% turnout and 50% plus 1 to reject the final offer. The voting numbers were released as well, so there was no ignorance of that.
Key word is “final” offer. Who decided? Should they not at least meet to determine if they can fix some language?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Key word is “final” offer. Who decided? Should they not at least meet to determine if they can fix some language?

The IBT Constitution decided.

If the negotiated offer is sent to the membership for a vote, it is sent as a final offer.

It does not stop Hoffa from trying to "improve" this imposed contract before it is implemented if the Company is willing, but only if the Company is willing. The Company probably has no incentive to change any of the language.

Article XII

STRIKES, LOCKOUTS, WAGE SCALES, DISPUTES OVER JURISDICTION

Area, Multi-Area, Multi-Employer, National, Company-wide or Industry-wide Contracts

Section 2(a). If a majority of the affiliated Local Unions vote to participate in area, multi-area, national, multi-employer, company-wide, or industry-wide negotiations for an area, multi-area, national, multi-employer, company-wide, or industry-wide agreement (hereinafter “master agreement”), all involved affiliated Local Unions shall comprise a multi-union unit, be bound by such vote, must participate in such master agreement bargaining and shall be bound by the agreement approved as provided below. Upon completion of negotiations by any committee designated as hereinafter set forth to engage in negotiations of a master agreement, such agreement shall be submitted to the membership involved in such negotiations for their approval or rejection as the final offer in accordance with Section 2(d) herein.