UPS Weapons Policy?

bad company

semi-pro
OC can be over come. OC will do very little to a drugged out assailant who is under the influence of certain drugs, alcohol, someone who may be psychotic or just doesn’t feel pain.

Remember most police and sheriff recruits are sprayed during the academy and are required to perform a variety of tasks while under the effects of the OC. It hurts and is incredibly irritating, but a determined indivisual can still do what they want. OC works much better on dogs, than it does on humans.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several armed patrons in that diner, and we would have a whole different outcome.

You had 4 armed, trained, bullet-proof vest wearing police officers in that coffee shop. You now have 4 dead, armed, trained, bullet-proof vest wearing police officers in the morgue.

Over, as you have figured out by now, I do not carry a NRA card and never will. I have experienced a homicide in my family, the details of which are unimportant (any questions regarding this will be ignored), which has obviously formed my opinion on guns.

The last gun I ever touched was while I was in Basic in October 1981 and when I had to qualify annually thereafter until I got out in 1989. I was actually a pretty good shot.

There are no guns in my home and there never will be.

Call me naive--I don't care.

over9five

Staff member
You had 4 armed, UNIFORMED TARGETS in the diner. A few armed citizens could have made a difference, or at least there'd be no need for a manhunt.

Guns have saved lives in my family, which has obviously helped form my opinion on guns.

The last gun I touched was yesterday, when the wife and I went out for dinner.

There are many guns in my house, and there always will be.

I never called you naive. I RESPECT your decision not to have guns in your life. Do you respect my decisions???

JonFrum

I wonder if those 4 dead police officers in Washington would agree with you.
Rank-and-file police do agree. Those four probably did too. They carry guns themselves and know how bad the bad guys are and how, ultimately, only a gun is really effective against the bad guys.

Of course, there is no defense against an ambush, especially when it is also a sneak attack. No one should make policy or law based on such an unusual event, just as no one should ban ambulances, just because occasionally on might kill four police officers while rushing to the hospital. Such things are flukes. They happen. But very, very rarely.

bad company

semi-pro
You had 4 armed, trained, bullet-proof vest wearing police officers in that coffee shop. You now have 4 dead, armed, trained, bullet-proof vest wearing police officers in the morgue.

Over, as you have figured out by now, I do not carry a NRA card and never will. I have experienced a homicide in my family, the details of which are unimportant (any questions regarding this will be ignored), which has obviously formed my opinion on guns.

The last gun I ever touched was while I was in Basic in October 1981 and when I had to qualify annually thereafter until I got out in 1989. I was actually a pretty good shot.

There are no guns in my home and there never will be.

Call me naive--I don't care.

I do not think you are naive. I think that you have made a decision based on your experiences. That is understandable and I respect that. I would hope that you would respect my rights as a citizen to exercise the second amendment.

I don't carry a NRA card. I don't consider myself a "gun nut". But there are many anti-gun advocates who would claim otherwise.

The incident in Washington is tragic. Banning guns would not prevent this type of crime. All it does is create a black market. Marijuana is illegal but you can get it in nearly every city of the United States.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually Sam I really wasn't thinking along those lines. I was thinking more along the lines of the thread and having a gun in your car on property. Technically it's not UPS's property. I am not sure that UPS would have the right to search our vehicles. AZ laws specifically say that I can possess a weapon on any private property unless banned by the property owner. Just an interesting thought. Not trying to create an argument.
No fight intended. I just think that UPS would basically have the lease agreement written up in such a way as to give UPS ownership rights with regards to these issues.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All good points . Though I feel better about trusting upers then the general public.

What pisses me off is that there are no armed guards at the grocery, clothing, sporting goods stores or the local car wash. How can we possibly hope to survive those places without guards armed to the teeth doing full body cavity searchs on anyone and everyone entering and exiting those places. Once we all get used to the enjoyable sensation of having someones gloved fingers stuck up our rears I'm sure we can quickly convince ups to do the same. :happy-very:

I have a carry permit. When I am at the grocery, clothing, or sporting goods store or at the local car wash....I am my own armed guard.

The problem I have with UPS is that not only does the company refuse to take any measures to protect me.....but they then deny me the right to protect myself.

The no weapons policy is not meant to create a safer work enviorment. It is meant to keep UPS from getting sued. My safety is less important than the company's liability.

The only thing worse than doing nothing to solve a problem...is to do nothing while you pretend to do something. If you are going to have a security system...have a real one. Dont do it half-assed and on the cheap.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UP

I too have had family that were shot. Three different people that were shot, and while one did not survive, the others, which never had a gun in their lives, bought several after the fact.

We also had a driver here who lost his son to gunfire. Nothing like a couple of 12 gauge punkin balls to the forehead. And to prove a point, the driver had an open casket funeral for his son.

I respect your views and personal decision not to carry or own weapons.

But from my family history in pre WWII Germany, to what we see today, the right to bear arms, and the private ownership of guns, is a must.

One last thing. Bullet proof vests are only good if the person is not out to assassinate you. There is no protection to the head or torso from the sides. And from what I understand, they never had a chance. As was stated, had others been able to help, they would have. But since no one but the unlawful are able to carry.......

d

tieguy

Banned
The problem I have with UPS is that not only does the company refuse to take any measures to protect me.....but they then deny me the right to protect myself.

The no weapons policy is not meant to create a safer work enviorment. It is meant to keep UPS from getting sued. My safety is less important than the company's liability.

The only thing worse than doing nothing to solve a problem...is to do nothing while you pretend to do something. If you are going to have a security system...have a real one. Dont do it half-assed and on the cheap.

I agree and I'm excited to see your willingness to do something to address these serious issues. I think you should start by perhaps starting a web page you could possibly create an address
where you could politic the public to start hiring security guards to do full body cavity searchs for your protection. Once you have air tight security in all businesses you no longer have to worry about ups protecting you or allowing you protection. At this point instead of crying about what UPS is not doing you have now taken control. :happy-very:

other then that I think you're whole rant is misguided. we don't hire security to protect people we hire it to keep our people from stealing all the merchandise inside.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I still think a Corporate-wide Rex Kwon Do initiative would have been better than "Working Together" thing we did in the Airline years ago.
Instead of "throwing me a "Y"; I think throwing a round house in to your friend** teeth would have been more effective....

upandcomer

Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER!!! Let UPS search your vehicle. Your vehicle is private property, this has been upheld over and over again in court. Just because UPS is granting you the right to park on their private property doesn't give them the legal authority to search your vehicle.

Also, the US Constitution grants you to the right to lawfully transport firearms.

18 U.S.C. sec. 926A

So remember....

You vehicle is YOUR private property.
No business has the legal authority to search your private property.
You are allowed to transport firearms in your vehicle.
The US Constitution always wins!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
other then that I think you're whole rant is misguided. we don't hire security to protect people we hire it to keep our people from stealing all the merchandise inside.

Then why do I have to walk through a metal detector to get into the building?

I dont object to having guards and a security system in place. I merely ask that it be a real system instead of a make believe one. And if UPS isnt willing to take any measures to ensure my safety, then they should allow me to defend myself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
we don't hire security to protect people we hire it to keep our people from stealing all the merchandise inside
So not only does corp feel like the employees are overpaid, lazy, underworked, conniving liars, but they feel like we are all thieves as well? And they wonder why there is a real trust gap when they offer to take over our healthcare and say trust us...........

Tie, the reason for the security guards is to make sure you dont leave with something you didnt come with. And to make sure you dont have a pocket knife going in.

About 6 months ago, I went by the center to pick up a shipment that I needed early for the day. The gestapo at the back gate gave me the pass, and I walked in. I had not been their more than 5 minutes when an officer tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to remove my knife from the snap down holder. It seems the security guard had seen the leather holder at my side and called the police. All that for a box cutter that I would have used while working that day.

If not for the "protection" of the employees at UPS, then what was the big deal?

Me thinks you got up on the wrong side of the bed today?:wink2:

d