UPS Whistleblowers- Happy National Whistleblowers Appreciation Day!

Thebrownblob

Nah
I read that article earlier today, it’s a new story so it’s tinged with a little bit of over the top as well as some truth so take it with a grain of salt.
I mean I'm all for helping cool drivers down, getting the company to provide more water, etc..

But sometimes I wonder to what degree are drivers taking care of themselves. If UPS gave every driver 3 gallons a day like @Integrity wants, what good will that do if the drivers don't drink it and smash Monsters or Red Bulls instead? Or even Mountain Dew.

rod

Retired 22 years
I mean I'm all for helping cool drivers down, getting the company to provide more water, etc..

But sometimes I wonder to what degree are drivers taking care of themselves. If UPS gave every driver 3 gallons a day like @Integrity wants, what good will that do if the drivers don't drink it and smash Monsters or Red Bulls instead? Or even Mountain Dew.
Wouldn't it be easier to slow down just a tad? 3 GALLONS--my god--if you need 3 gallons a day just while working you probably have other things wrong with you and are dying anyway.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I mean I'm all for helping cool drivers down, getting the company to provide more water, etc.
That is awesome.

But sometimes I wonder to what degree are drivers taking care of themselves.
IMO It is very important for the drivers to buy into best practices for staying safe while working in hot conditions. They need to make any changes necessary towards preventing heat related illnesses/injuries.

They need to follow UPS "Cool Solutions" training to the letter.

If local management or their coworkers try to insult, intimidate, coerce or harass them because of their desire to follow UPS "Cool Solutions" safety training, and/or OHSA requirements then they should be reported to the right people.

If management you should file a complaint with OSHA, if hourly you should file a complaint with your steward.

You should always write down exactly what is said and what will be done in response to your complaint.

If UPS gave every driver 3 gallons a day like @Integrity wants, what good will that do if the drivers don't drink it and smash Monsters or Red Bulls instead? Or even Mountain Dew.
If employees are having a problem following UPS "Cool Solutions" safety training, and/or OHSA requirements this is a serious problem and concern, it is the responsibility of UPS local management to find out why and help the employee correct this very dangerous practice.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Wouldn't it be easier to slow down just a tad? 3 GALLONS--my god--if you need 3 gallons a day just while working you probably have other things wrong with you and are dying anyway.
The estimate of 8 oz per 15 minutes is a recommendation from health and safety professionals for continuous hydration in hot weather. A adequate supply for UPS Drivers of 3 gallons based upon this is reasonable.

Thebrownblob

That is awesome.

IMO It is very important for the drivers to buy into best practices for staying safe while working in hot conditions. They need to make any changes necessary towards preventing heat related illnesses/injuries.

They need to follow UPS "Cool Solutions" training to the letter.

If local management or their coworkers try to insult, intimidate, coerce or harass them because of their desire to follow UPS "Cool Solutions" safety training, and/or OHSA requirements then they should be reported to the right people.

If management you should file a complaint with OSHA, if hourly you should file a complaint with your steward.

You should always write down exactly what is said and what will be done in response to your complaint.

If employees are having a problem following UPS "Cool Solutions" safety training, and/or OHSA requirements this is a serious problem and concern, it is the responsibility of UPS local management to find out why and help the employee correct this very dangerous practice.
Should the company use discipline to correct the behavior?