UPS Whistleblowers- Happy National Whistleblowers Appreciation Day!

Integrity

Binge Poster
To those who have the determination, courage, and will to stand up for what they believe is right in a difficult company environment and “blow the whistle” on UPS when needed.

I have found that blowing the whistle and being known as someone who will blow the whistle has dramatically changed my ability to get things changed through ordinary internal processes at UPS.

Although being a whistle blower at UPS has brought some strain to my relationships with my local management and some of my “company men” coworkers it has been far better for me when trying to do the right thing.

When I bring up issue’s now they definitely take me seriously because they know I only bring up issues that I am serious enough to go to outside agencies with. I make it crystal clear that I desire to resolve my issue “in house” through normal internal processes but I will go outside if I am not satisfied with the internal response and outcome.

The great paradox I find as an employee who “blows the whistle” is it seems by law that I have greater rights and protections than those who are maimed or killed by the “blame the worker” negligent safety culture at UPS.

I believe all UPS employees should know that, generally speaking, you can’t sue your employer or your coworkers for negligence due to worker’s compensation laws in most states and when you are are maimed or killed at UPS even when it is the result of negligence it is very difficult for you or your loved ones to hold UPS accountable for this negligence.

However if you are ever experience retaliation as the result of trying to get UPS to follow their own policies and procedures, training, or safety and health policies and procedures there is no law preventing you from filing a lawsuit in these cases, whistleblower blower lawsuits are actually encouraged. This is true whether you are utilizing internal company reporting processes or you are force to go to an outside agency of some sort such as OSHA for example.

If OSHA is the outside agency used when “blowing the whistle” on UPS and you are retaliated against OHSA has clear guidance about how to proceed.

Again to all you UPS Whistle Blowers out there.

Happy National Whistle Blowers Appreciation Day!!!

The Whistleblower Protection Programs | Whistleblower Protection Program

Knowing Your Rights and Speaking Up: Recognizing National Whistleblower Appreciation Day | U.S. Department of Labor BlogThe Whistleblower Protection Programs | Whistleblower Protection Program

Thebrownblob

To those who have the determination, courage, and will to stand up for what they believe is right in a difficult company environment and “blow the whistle” on UPS when needed.

I have found that blowing the whistle and being known as someone who will blow the whistle has dramatically changed my ability to get things changed through ordinary internal processes at UPS.

Although being a whistle blower at UPS has brought some strain to my relationships with my local management and some of my “company men” coworkers it has been far better for me when trying to do the right thing.

When I bring up issue’s now they definitely take me seriously because they know I only bring up issues that I am serious enough to go to outside agencies with. I make it crystal clear that I desire to resolve my issue “in house” through normal internal processes but I will go outside if I am not satisfied with the internal response and outcome.

The great paradox I find as an employee who “blows the whistle” is it seems by law that I have greater rights and protections than those who are maimed or killed by the “blame the worker” negligent safety culture at UPS.

I believe all UPS employees should know that, generally speaking, you can’t sue your employer or your coworkers for negligence due to worker’s compensation laws in most states and when you are are maimed or killed at UPS even when it is the result of negligence it is very difficult for you or your loved ones to hold UPS accountable for this negligence.

However if you are ever experience retaliation as the result of trying to get UPS to follow their own policies and procedures, training, or safety and health policies and procedures there is no law preventing you from filing a lawsuit in these cases, whistleblower blower lawsuits are actually encouraged. This is true whether you are utilizing internal company reporting processes or you are force to go to an outside agency of some sort such as OSHA for example.

If OSHA is the outside agency used when “blowing the whistle” on UPS and you are retaliated against OHSA has clear guidance about how to proceed.

Again to all you UPS Whistle Blowers out there.

Happy National Whistle Blowers Appreciation Day!!!

The Whistleblower Protection Programs | Whistleblower Protection Program

Knowing Your Rights and Speaking Up: Recognizing National Whistleblower Appreciation Day | U.S. Department of Labor BlogThe Whistleblower Protection Programs | Whistleblower Protection Program
That’s great if you’re doing it for legitimate reasons and have legitimate complaints.

You are correct about Worker’s Compensation laws being tilted towards the companies favor. Every state is a little different but none of them are that great in my opinion.

My experience with OSHA has been they do next to nothing to help us. They will give the company a fine the company pays OSHA not the people Who have been put in harms way.

For example the current OSHA inspection was put on hold because they called the company and the company asked for them to come a few days later because they were not ready and they agreed. Lol
That’s some surprise inspection right there😂😒.

Keep putting your faith in a government agency and you will be let down.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, what would you consider to be a "whistle blower worthy" issue?
If the local management of any UPS facility fails in the OSHA requirement regarding the
provision of water every day IMO this is a “whistle blower worthy” issue on each and every day UPS fails to fulfill their obligation under OSHA, based upon my opinion, based upon my interpretation.

OSHA requires that employees shall have
access to potable drinking water that is to be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge. The water shall be located as close as practicable to the areas where employees are working. Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.
The frequent drinking of water, as described in subsection (h)(1)(C), shall be encouraged.

Thebrownblob

If the local management of any UPS facility fails in the OSHA requirement regarding the
provision of water every day IMO this is a “whistle blower worthy” issue on each and every day UPS fails to fulfill their obligation under OSHA, based upon my opinion, based upon my interpretation.

access to potable drinking water that is to be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge. The water shall be located as close as practicable to the areas where employees are working. Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.
The frequent drinking of water, as described in subsection (h)(1)(C), shall be encouraged.
Decades and decades and why haven’t OSHA required UPS to do what you say? Are they paid off? Do you misunderstand the rule? Is it not enforceable? Why does UPS not have to do it if it’s a rule? There’s a lot going on here and it’s way above my head and yours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have yet to walk in to a UPS facility that did not have a bubbler, which is a New England term for water fountain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my view and experience the Whistle Blowers I have known have never appeared to be “uppity” or not content in their jobs at UPS.
Whistleblowers tend to be very good at their jobs and take a great deal of pride in both what they do and who they work for. It is when that pride is betrayed that they look to make things right.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have yet to walk in to a UPS facility that did not have a bubbler, which is a New England term for water fountain.
Not on package cars.

Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.

Thebrownblob

Not on package cars.

Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.
Again why has not OSHA required it you have not answer the question.

Thebrownblob

I suspect you refuse to answer the question because you do not actually understand the ruling. UPS has a mountain of lawyers to analyze these things and if they can get away with it legally they will. Now tell me where in the country a UPS package car has water at 50° all times?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Decades and decades and why haven’t OSHA required UPS to do what you say? Are they paid off? Do you misunderstand the rule? Is it not enforceable? Why does UPS not have to do it if it’s a rule? There’s a lot going on here and it’s way above my head and yours.
I thought you said your building was adequately providing water in another post.

I thought your building was OSHA compliant. Is that true?

OSHA coming because of an injury correct? Not a complaint right.

Integrity

Binge Poster
That’s great if you’re doing it for legitimate reasons and have legitimate complaints.
👍
You are correct about Worker’s Compensation laws being tilted towards the companies favor. Every state is a little different but none of them are that great in my opinion.
👍
My experience with OSHA has been they do next to nothing to help us.
My experience has been much different and better.
They will give the company a fine the company pays OSHA not the people Who have been put in harms way.
My experience has been much different and better with this as well.
For example the current OSHA inspection was put on hold because they called the company and the company asked for them to come a few days later because they were not ready and they agreed. Lol
Who told you this?
That’s some surprise inspection right there😂😒.
No.
Keep putting your faith in a government agency and you will be let down.
I do not put my faith in a government agency.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

I thought you said your building was adequately providing water in another post.

I thought your building was OSHA compliant. Is that true?

OSHA coming because of an injury correct? Not a complaint right.
I said our building provide water before we leave. You really need to pay attention. There are no trucks that have continual access to 50° water that the company provides and make sure is replenished. Do you know of anywhere that does?

What do you mean by OSHA compliant I’m going to assume they’re not because OSHA is coming to inspect after they give them time to fix things of course.

I know of no complaint so I’m assuming it’s just the heat related to injury that was reported to them