UPS's master strike plan???

PT Car Washer

I hope it doesn't come down to that either. I was one of the bottom 5 guys on the seniority list in August of '97 and the working conditions upon returning after the strike went from not always good to absolutely terrible and remained that way for years after.

You're right. They can't keep enough people now which is why I still think the possibility exists that the company could be preparing for a lengthy strike that would theoretically result in lost volume (at least for some length of time).
How would a large loss of volume permit UPS to support their vast infrastructure of buildings and planes and vehicles? UPS says they only make a few Pennies on each delivery.

R1wonder

Ups isn’t planning :censored2: , two things to think about . 1 .. when you’re under staffed by like : 3 drivers . Think about how bad :censored2: hits the fan, now imagine they trying to do it all, and 2… I called several pvds from previous years , not a single one said they were contacted. So that right there shuts down any of those theories

Undertow

I feel this has been planned by UPS. They want to greatly weaken the union. They planned way back at the beging of the year no supervision vacations all of August- They have been planning on just moving critical care packages only months ago if we strike. Sending more sups to driving class to help deliver. They plan on shutting off amazon pickups and others next week to reduce volume. We know amazon and UPS both hate the Teamsters and will work together. Plans are in place to consolidate centers (temp close down some) to make it easier to process less volume with fewer employees I wonder if our CEO is so out of touch with reality that she can just start up hiring people off the street like it;s Home Depot? Is she told by higher up's on what to do? Blackrock is a huge stock owner of UPS and about every industry out there. I think many hourly told their sups (this just gave ups false sense being reported up) they would work if a strike but in reality they wont so does she think most will cross? She promoted the better not bigger so will she drop certain services and concentrate on others? Dropping UPS freights was very very odd esp at a loss. Maybe SOB has them in the corner and they will agree Tuesday to everything. I just dont see it being they have been planning all year for this like no matter what they where going to go with their plan. I'd like to see what others think.
The possibility certainly can't be ruled out and if the company felt it had close to a 50/50 chance to really turn it's newest hourlies off to paying membership dues, then there may be no better time to hatch a plan than when FedEx and the USPS are not in the best of shape.

Undertow

Ups isn’t planning :censored2: , two things to think about . 1 .. when you’re under staffed by like : 3 drivers . Think about how bad :censored2: hits the fan, now imagine they trying to do it all, and 2… I called several pvds from previous years , not a single one said they were contacted. So that right there shuts down any of those theories
Some of it might hinge on how much volume were in the system at the start of a strike and just how long the company was willing to try and wait us out.

I remember upon returning in mid August of '97 how shocked I was at just how little they got done while we were out. The glut took nearly a month or perhaps longer to process. But this time around, there might not be nearly as much buildup if we see a sharp decline in pieces beginning next week.

You mentioned how tough it gets to keep things moving once understaffed becomes an issue. Maybe the company has decided that after the last 3 years, it's tired of continually being understaffed and the often required change of approach in how it interacts with us as a result.

Undertow

How would a large loss of volume permit UPS to support their vast infrastructure of buildings and planes and vehicles? UPS says they only make a few Pennies on each delivery.
Well in my building there aren't enough vehicles as is so a loss in volume might actually solve that problem.

As for making only a few pennies, their profit margin grew from 5.9% in 2019 to 11.6% in 2022. They might see that as enough to weather the storm of a work stoppage even lasting as long as a month.

Plus if there's many buildings already at or over capacity for much of the last 3 years, then the company might be faced with having to allocate serious resources toward adding capacity and that prospect might be far less appealing than a temporary subtraction in volume.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
We didn't have a strike fund last time, I got 50.00 after the first week, I think I got a total of 100. This time the union has 350 million in a strike fund. I was told the formula is your monthly union dues times 5 is what we will receive per week. SOB said min 200. a week max 500. a week. And we would receive it first week.

They can't keep people now, this heat across our nation is dangerous with employees who have done this job for years. Just imagine new hires, management who haven't done any manual labor in years. Future lawsuits employees' deaths.
Our CEO only cares about our stock price, with a clown show about to happen, our stock price would drop.

I hope we don't strike, but if we our I'm so glad its going to be AUG.
the union should just invest that 350 million into ups, More managers should be out there pitching in, it takes a village. If an employee dies he/she/they/them/zir wasn’t fit for this life they were weak bodies and thats just natural selection trimming the fat. We Need more trimming and more fat. That way the company doesn’t have to pay an exorbitant amount on pensions. Just keep the attrition rate high.

We as a nation should really reconsider our priorities here, teamsters are complaining about table scraps meanwhile theres discrimination against plus size people on planes! If you see plus size people invading your space on a plane be a gent, lift up your arm rest apologize to these people for taking up too much room and go stand the rest of your flight.

dogs.bite.me

If you're admitted.
If you go to the emergency room for something other than same day accidental bodily injury, and they don't admit you to the hospital..... good luck with that big ass bill.
Max 1000 out of pocket.

Had my daughter in The hospital 5 days a couple years ago.

It was $1100. All I paid between 2 hospitals as well as an ambulance ride from one hospital to the other around an out and a half away.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you're admitted.
If you go to the emergency room for something other than same day accidental bodily injury, and they don't admit you to the hospital..... good luck with that big ass bill.
20% if you go to the ER and don't get admitted.

....so if it isn't an emergency?

What's your definition of "same day accidental bodily injury"?

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Max 1000 out of pocket.

Had my daughter in The hospital 5 days a couple years ago.

It was $1100. All I paid between 2 hospitals as well as an ambulance ride from one hospital to the other around an out and a half away.
Yup. I'm grateful for our insurance, it's fantastic. But 1000 bucks isn't exactly a drop in the bucket, just saying people need to be careful.

ManInBrown

I think we will absolutely be on strike come 8/1. Just my opinion I don’t think UPS has any intention on meeting the unions demands on Tuesday. I think it’s all for show so they can say ,we tried. We made an offer and they didn’t accept it. I think the company has been planning for this for a long time. Whether that planning or how they execute will be successful who knows.

Buddy does a pickup at one of our biggest customers and they have UPS supervisors working at this location coordinating the outbound and inbound. Every day they work there, they don’t work at the UPS building. All three got told weeks ago their last day there will be 7-28. Back to the building and their assignments haven’t been decided yet. This strike is happening. The company has no intentions of making a deal IMO. Hope I’m wrong.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think we will absolutely be on strike come 8/1. Just my opinion I don’t think UPS has any intention on meeting the unions demands on Tuesday. I think it’s all for show so they can say ,we tried. We made an offer and they didn’t accept it. I think the company has been planning for this for a long time. Whether that planning or how they execute will be successful who knows.

Buddy does a pickup at one of our biggest customers and they have UPS supervisors working at this location coordinating the outbound and inbound. Every day they work there, they don’t work at the UPS building. All three got told weeks ago their last day there will be 7-28. Back to the building and their assignments haven’t been decided yet. This strike is happening. The company has no intentions of making a deal IMO. Hope I’m wrong.
What's their end game....are you scared and wish you would have bought that other house?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
20% if you go to the ER and don't get admitted.

....so if it isn't an emergency?
Yes.
The thing is, sometimes you go to the hospital because it's after doctor's hours and you need to find out if it's an emergency. Pregnancy complications, heart issues that may not actually be heart issues, and countless things with kids.
What's your definition of "same day accidental bodily injury"?
That's the wording from the summary plan description. It's "bodily injury", that you seek care for the "same day" it occurred.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes.
The thing is, sometimes you go to the hospital because it's after doctor's hours and you need to find out if it's an emergency. Pregnancy complications, heart issues that may not actually be heart issues, and countless things with kids.

That's the wording from the summary plan description. It's "bodily injury", that you seek care for the "same day" it occurred.
Urgent Care,....let them send you to the ER. 😉

Too many people, for too long just went to the ER for everything.

Thebrownblob

It may not be about being replaced maybe they’re counting on people crossing after the second or third week. Also I’ve read about $575 a week in strike benefits, but nothing on how that will be paid out. In 97 what crap we got wasn’t paid out until after the strike was over and we had to go to the Union hall to get it. Didn’t get what little we were promised either.
I already have my marching orders, as far as strike pay. Facilities, close enough to the hall members will come to the hall to pick up and sign their strike paychecks weekly. Facilities more than 50 miles away. Business agents will drive to those centers and members will meet business agent at that location and sign for their strike pay weekly, really not that hard. Hopefully none of it’s necessary.

Last edited: