Jumper555

After many years of working with Drivers Helpers, I feel comfortable in sharing some observations. Patterns suggest we can group them into key groups. Of course, I'm not a psychologist, nor, do I play one on TV, however, having said that, here are my observations in no special order.

The Collegiate- The "collegiate" is a college student. Home from break, he is eager to earn money. Smart, young, and hard working, this type makes a excellent helper. They pick up fast and need little guidance. They adjust rapidly making smart calls such as moving toward the truck and waiting on the right side of the street saving the driver time.

The MOM- The "Mom" often is a stay at home mom with children now at the age where she can leave them alone for some time. The job of helper seems exciting, fun, even challenging. She often shows up wearing makeup and perfume, and the pants never seem to fit right. She will start the day asking, "what time will we be done"(?), worried that she has to be home by 5 PM to drive little ones to ballet or hockey. The "Mom talks all day about her kids until the driver is stabbing his ears. This helper type often packs huge lunches and goodies.

The Drifter- The "Drifter" has had at least 20 jobs even thought he is only 24 years old. Under closer examination, you will find he left those jobs because the boss was "screwing" him somehow. The drifter works slow, very slow. Quite often, this type will walk the wrong way while making a delivery despite you pointing the opposite direction. He will not show during inclement weather or in case of hangover. Despite lack of funds, this type has a nice cell phone which, he will try to use all day. He can be spotted driving a 15 year old car with major dents.

Lost in Space- This type thinks somehow, this job will lead to full time employment. They work as a helper but keep wondering when they will start driving.

Sports Radio- This type very quickly will talk sports, usually football this time of the year. Before long, an amazing reportorial of facts, stats, and names come forth. No need for a radio with this type. This type can be a good worker, but the driver must be sure to halt any and all chat at delivery time.

False Santa- Somehow, this type thinks they can earn a whole lot of shopping money with this job. Problem is, they start in mid December. They usually had the idea of working more hours to earn the money they need.

Nick O' Teen- This type really loves the coffin nails. Often seen getting "one last drag" at pick up. His first words will be, "Can I smoke"? Often, this type is a off shoot of "The Drifter" type. Despite lack of funds, there is always money for the cell phone and the smokes.
From what I saw at my center on orientation day, I couldn't have said it better myself! A lot of flunkys!

MrBates

Last year I had to deal with what I like to call "The slow motion helper". I'll park directly in front of the house and give him that delivery while I do two houses across the street and I'll still get back to the truck first with seat belt on and engine running waiting for him to get in and eventually fumble with the seat belt.

I even tried to give him a stop at the start of a cult-de-sac, drive all the way to the end, deliver 2-3 houses, drive to the beginning of the cul-de-sac to pick him up, and find him just starting to cross the street. SMH

Rack em

Made the Podium
Last year I had to deal with what I like to call "The slow motion helper". I'll park directly in front of the house and give him that delivery while I do two houses across the street and I'll still get back to the truck first with seat belt on and engine running waiting for him to get in and eventually fumble with the seat belt.

I even tried to give him a stop at the start of a cult-de-sac, drive all the way to the end, deliver 2-3 houses, drive to the beginning of the cul-de-sac to pick him up, and find him just starting to cross the street. SMH
That's when you start driving away and he gets to play catch up. If he isn't to the PC by the time you're done with your next stop then he keeps playing catch up until he either catches up or he's left in the dust.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

That is classic "Drifter".

The Drifter- The "Drifter" has had at least 20 jobs even thought he is only 24 years old. Under closer examination, you will find he left those jobs because the boss was "screwing" him somehow. The drifter works slow, very slow. Quite often, this type will walk the wrong way while making a delivery despite you pointing the opposite direction. He will not show during inclement weather or in case of hangover. Despite lack of funds, this type has a nice cell phone which, he will try to use all day. He can be spotted driving a 15 year old car with major dents.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That is classic "Drifter".

My last three helpers were foreign born and worked their butts off. I had to tell them to slow down (they didn’t). Lol.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A0075044-B452-4029-AD6F-29CE5302FCB5.gif
Who cares? Probably 80% of the people on here...don't work here.

I have the best of both worlds. I have the Collegiate/Sports guy. Fast, runs to the house, and we talk sports all day. I'm 40 and he's 19. Goodl kid. Best helper I've had in my 8 years of driving.