We’re done

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In feeders, it's not uncommon to get bumped off your run 3 or 4 times a year. It that awesome? Of course not. But it's part of the system, and they guy that bumped you probably hit bumped, and you then bump the next guy.

If you take it personal, you're gonna be a miserable person.

Now, if you're complaining about having to go help another driver you think doesn't work as hard as you, you're doing it wrong, and I've hit no sympathy from me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
4795812F-B709-4CD5-9A5D-4FF18B6B5806.gif
But still a fact.

Not fact.... the ones at the top did not go through what they go through now. And most couldn’t do it. They have the least amount of experience in their centers.

I won't pretend to know you, but your complaints sound identical to a lot of drivers I know, that sit on, or near the bottom of the seniority list. "It's not fair," "I never get days off when I want."

And I won't even argue with you about who works harder; that's playing UPS's game.

And knowing more routes than other drivers doesn't make you more experienced, it makes you a cover driver.
I've worked here my whole adult life, and you're right, having little seniority sucks, but you deal with it the same way we all did: day by day.
I have the most time off. That’s not a problem. I take each route one day at a time. I really don’t care where I am. That’s not a problem.

I also have been doing this my “whole life”. As my wife says. As you well know, cover driving is far different in 2018 than is was in 1996. Todays 30 year driver that have only done 5 routes really doesn’t have much experience.

I will always have low seniority. I can deal with 30 years of low seniority, since 28 are behind me. My low seniority might take an extra 5 or so years out of the pension fund tho.

The problems I see are newer drivers above me that have troubles. Getting screwed by other drivers, for no real reason except for entitlement. This culture “I got screwed, so you should get screwed”. Should not continue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am #1 in seniority in my center and I still think that we should be required to use our paid days before being allowed to use dead days and if it came down to a senior driver who likes to take dead days and a junior driver who uses his paid days as to who would get the day off it should go to the junior driver.

Box Ox

I am #1 in seniority in my center and I still think that we should be required to use our paid days before being allowed to use dead days and if it came down to a senior driver who likes to take dead days and a junior driver who uses his paid days as to who would get the day off it should go to the junior driver.

Shouldn't most paid days be scheduled in advance or called in anyway? Higher seniority driver wanting a dead day isn't gonna be a problem unless both drivers come in and the younger guy also says "No, I'd like to take off and use a paid day, pleeeeeeease!". Right?

Box Ox

The problems I see are newer drivers above me that have troubles. Getting screwed by other drivers, for no real reason except for entitlement. This culture “I got screwed, so you should get screwed”. Should not continue.

Newer drivers are only above you because of you, right? So they're still in the troubles phase. Not necessarily their fault. Most folks only go through that once at one location.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shouldn't most paid days be scheduled in advance or called in anyway? Higher seniority driver wanting a dead day isn't gonna be a problem unless both drivers come in and the younger guy also says "No, I'd like to take off and use a paid day, pleeeeeeease!". Right?

They should be scheduled in advance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For sure. So I can't feel too bad for the young fella (or multiple transfer older fella). Get approved for days off or call in 1+ hours before start time. High seniority guy can pound dead day sand.

My point, which you all seem to be missing, is that had the senior driver been forced to burn his days before being allowed to use dead days he would not have had any days left and the junior driver would have been given the day off.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My point, which you all seem to be missing, is that had the senior driver been forced to burn his days before being allowed to use dead days he would not have had any days left and the junior driver would have been given the day off.
What you seem to be missing, is that if the younger driver has paid days left, then he can use them. It has nothing to do with the older driver at all.

If you have paid days, you can use them.
End of story Dan.
There is a practice of mgmt asking if someone wants the day off. Due to fewer routes that day. They will
Give it to the higher seniority driver. Even though a lower seniority driver may have an option day they want to burn.