Western Pennsylvania April 6th VOTE

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm dead serious when I ask this: Lets say I meet someone in the future and we date for a while and I decide I wanna marry this girl. You think she would be willing to sign a legal agreement saying that in the event of a divorce she gets nothing?

This kid says he’s the hardest worker
Figured since he’s the hardest worker they’d put him on the hardest pull

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
12+yrs/Teamster
9+yrs/SEIU member

Though the Teamsters Union hasn't done much to be proud of over the last few years, this is probably the best union I've ever been a part of. Means a lot coming from a guy who is not a 'die-hard' union nut (with all due respect, lol). My years with the SEIU were absolutely horrendous. No structure, communication, or support, and :censored2:ty benefits. Literally, the only reason to stay there, was the $21/hr to push a broom (And half of that went to our medical plan). But after a while, money alone is not enough of a reason to work at a job.

And though I tend to support RTW idealogy, if and when my state decides we will no longer be required to pay union dues, I will continue to pay them. I feel that there is no way in hell we would get the pay/benefits we get right now, if it weren't for the union.

We just need to figure out who must get booted in a couple of years. We'll get back there

What’s an SEIU member

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
????????

Bottom line is this:

Our 3rd offer is the best we've received and it will most likely pass. You two can conjure up whatever theories you'd like but by voting down the two prior offers, we've negotiated a better deal for ourselves. Why does that upset you?

It's always easy for people from the outside to make opinions based on what they want and not what's good for people involved. If it's good for the guys in the area, I'm glad it got done to your satisfaction.

Now that it is done a question. Is it true that the local supplement Officers had tried to negotiate an excess amount of pension in the first offer? I heard they asked for too much to supplement some of the shortfall from some of the other companies.

stray

It's always easy for people from the outside to make opinions based on what they want and not what's good for people involved. If it's good for the guys in the area, I'm glad it got done to your satisfaction.

Now that it is done a question. Is it true that the local supplement Officers had tried to negotiate an excess amount of pension in the first offer? I heard they asked for too much to supplement some of the shortfall from some of the other companies.

Thanks, brother. The money to offset the pension shortfall was greater on our first offer only because we were under a higher penalty at that time. Before we applied for a pension restructuring plan, it was required that our contribution increased by 6% each year. UPS' liability didn't cover that full amount, so in the past 5 years, we've lost $.66 from our annual raises and were scheduled to lose $2.41 over this contract's 5 years. Last fall, our Pension Board made that application which reduced the annual increase that was needed, now we are only looking at $.39 being above & beyond UPS's liability. The 3rd agreement places that additional liability on UPS to cover any & all pension shortfalls, as well as any additional money TeamCare may need in 2021 & 2022 (potentially $.40/hr). So, the short answer is no, they didn't ask for more than what was needed. However, a big part of the reason our multi-employer pension is in bad shape is that many of the other companies went under and UPS is the major funder of those orphan retirees.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What wasn't on the "up and up"?
Second offer worse than the first, yet somehow brought to the membership for a vote in hopes of not satisfying the two-thirds/50% rule.

....then instead of electronic balloting the third vote was held on a Saturday at the union halls with a required presentation, again hoping to insure that the two-thirds/50% rule wasn't satisfied.

It all stunk to high heavens and after today's vote in 804, the music will stop, and Local 243 will be standing alone without a seat.