Whadya do before you retired?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my neighbor had a flower shop. i did odd jobs there on the weekends and during rush periods like Valentines Day etc.

earned a real paycheck. my parents had me save some , spend some , and give some. that early training helped me retire very early with a very nice nest egg.

thanks Mom.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

my neighbor had a flower shop. i did odd jobs there on the weekends and during rush periods like Valentines Day etc.

earned a real paycheck. my parents had me save some , spend some , and give some. that early training helped me retire very early with a very nice nest egg.

thanks Mom.

You did not receive an actual check; if anything, they paid you in cash at the end of the day.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have them here. If you are under 18 you need the school to sign them.

I will agree that kids under 16 (I believe its 16) can't do hazardous work but there is no "age" limit here for getting lots of other jobs. Someone is always looking for a body to wave a sign out in front of their business and I've seen some petty young whipper snapppers doing that.

I will agree that kids under 16 (I believe its 16) can't do hazardous work but there is no "age" limit here for getting lots of other jobs. Someone is always looking for a body to wave a sign out in front of their business and I've seen some petty young whipper snapppers doing that.
No machinery under 18.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
people are arguing you on this?

why bother arguing with ignorance.

btw i was a paper girl too. i also cut lawns thru high school and college. always paid my own way. i know the OP was asking about UPS jobs but for some people there is a work life before ups.

rod

Retired 22 years
You did not receive an actual check; if anything, they paid you in cash at the end of the day.

There you go again---spouting off just for the sake of arguing. I received a Company Check from the mink farm I worked at when I was probably 11 and 12 years old and a Company Check from my Dad for all the years I worked for him at his business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

people are arguing you on this?

why bother arguing with ignorance.

btw i was a paper girl too. i also cut lawns thru high school and college. always paid my own way. i know the OP was asking about UPS jobs but for some people there is a work life before ups.

None of those jobs paid you with an actual check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There you go again---spouting off just for the sake of arguing. I received a Company Check from the mink farm I worked at when I was probably 11 and 12 years old and a Company Check from my Dad for all the years I worked for him at his business.

Did you file a tax return as an 11 year old?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bull :censored2:-----where do you get this crap? Don't you have a paperboy?
Dave is right. Any job on the books for minors requires working papers in NY. My first job was a summer camp counselor at 14.....I needed working papers to get hired.
And the guy who delivers my newspaper at 3am around the same time I leave for work drives an SUV. I don't think he's a kid.

rod

Retired 22 years
Dave is right. Any job on the books for minors requires working papers in NY. My first job was a summer camp counselor at 14.....I needed working papers to get hired.
And the guy who delivers my newspaper at 3am around the same time I leave for work drives an SUV. I don't think he's a kid.

Dave is only 1/50th right. The rest of the states have their own rules.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

i had over 25 jobs before UPS. first real job with a paycheck was when i was 12 years old working part time on weekends at a flower shop.

hardest job was working for the railroad in UTah for 2 years. most fun was working for a carnival . another easy one was a lifeguard. travelled all over the country for years working odd jobs. overseas for 2 years in the Peace Corps.

i too worked for a carnival for 2 summers, was probably 12-13... Best job ever, gave me 20 bucks the end of each night ..I was rich and all my friends thought I was cool...spent most of my teens washing dishes. After high school did the landscaping gig. Worked for fed ex....now been with the parcel for almost a decade...loader for a year..now full time driver- worst job I've had but make more than most of my friends who also are still paying off college debt

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
working all those jobs are an education and i am grateful for the hard times too. ups never became life for me. the years here were only a bump in the road.

this new life being retired, which is really a misnomer , is a very exciting time. all the possibilities. today i am going snow-shoeing with the dogs in the back country.

tarbar66

Before UPS, paper boy-both morning and afternoon routes, pin boy(duck pins), McDonalds, flower delivery, Boro road crew, Warehouse employee and delivery driver, retail stock man.

UPS

1972 Night hub-part time
1974 Day Hub-fulltime
1975 Feeders
1979 Package-Hub closed, bumped into pkg
1985 Delivery Supervisor
1987 Hub Preload
1988 Feeders
1992 IE
1993 Package
1995 Feeders
1997 Package
2000 Preload
2002 Package

2007 Retirement

2014 UPS Alumni Peak
2015 UPS Alumni Peak

Alumni Peak has allowed me to appreciate retirement even more!

wkmac

working all those jobs are an education and i am grateful for the hard times too. ups never became life for me. the years here were only a bump in the road.

this new life being retired, which is really a misnomer , is a very exciting time. all the possibilities. today i am going snow-shoeing with the dogs in the back country.

Olroadbeech,

You have no one to explain yourself too here. Most all of us can relate and many of us here have similar stories ourselves that formed and shaped our own work ethic. I appreciate your work history and ethic.

Sad that someone who is not even retired to start with would inject themselves into this thread and try to derail it by challenging you on a topic unrelated to the subject to begin with nor could they have any direct knowledge on your circumstances.

As someone closing in on retirement myself, I really enjoy sitting back and reading what you retirees have to say on retirement and the things you discovered once retired. I've spoken with a number of retirees, hourly and management, and all have proven to be a wealth of information resource as I work towards that special day that is fast approaching me.

Tx!