Whadya do before you retired?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Olroadbeech,

You have no one to explain yourself too here. Most all of us can relate and many of us here have similar stories ourselves that formed and shaped our own work ethic. I appreciate your work history and ethic.

Sad that someone who is not even retired to start with would inject themselves into this thread and try to derail it by challenging you on a topic unrelated to the subject to begin with nor could they have any direct knowledge on your circumstances.

As someone closing in on retirement myself, I really enjoy sitting back and reading what you retirees have to say on retirement and the things you discovered once retired. I've spoken with a number of retirees, hourly and management, and all have proven to be a wealth of information resource as I work towards that special day that is fast approaching me.

Tx!
the people you speak of are just wannabe tough guys hiding behind a keyboard. these same people would never ever have the cajones to say anything bad to my face. it never happened in 25 years on the job.

BTW . you'll LOVE retirement because you earned it. I worked various jobs for a little over 40 years. may go back part time if i find a fun job. but right now am enjoying the hell out of my FREEDOM.

also , mucho gracias .

Retiree

You did not receive an actual check; if anything, they paid you in cash at the end of the day.
I started work in a drugstore at the age of 14. Was paid by check every two weeks.
Sometimes I think you post just so you can drive your numbers up, I guess you don't like being number three on all time posting list. LOL

Retiree

Before UPS, paper boy-both morning and afternoon routes, pin boy(duck pins), McDonalds, flower delivery, Boro road crew, Warehouse employee and delivery driver, retail stock man.

UPS

1972 Night hub-part time
1974 Day Hub-fulltime
1975 Feeders
1979 Package-Hub closed, bumped into pkg
1985 Delivery Supervisor
1987 Hub Preload
1988 Feeders
1992 IE
1993 Package
1995 Feeders
1997 Package
2000 Preload
2002 Package

2007 Retirement

2014 UPS Alumni Peak
2015 UPS Alumni Peak

Alumni Peak has allowed me to appreciate retirement even more!
What is Alumni Peak? Working as a contract employee?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i was wondering that too. could you work at an out of state hub during peak?

Yes but you would still have to abide by whatever restrictions your pension plan has in place regarding working while receiving a pension.

With our pension plan we can only work up to 40 hours per month if the work is within the same industry. I have been told that they will waive this during Peak. I am seriously considering coming back as a helper the first Peak after I retire.

Ms.PacMan

12 years old working part time on the weekends? Yeah, I don't think so.

Why do you feel the need to make stuff up?
My first job was at 12 - as a puller at a gun club (the person who sits in the chair and releases the clay pigeon/keeps score) Tues/Thurs/Sat. I made a whole $5 in cash every time I worked. We'd work skeet tournaments on weekends sometimes.

Retiree

My first job was at 12 - as a puller at a gun club (the person who sits in the chair and releases the clay pigeon/keeps score) Tues/Thurs/Sat. I made a whole $5 in cash every time I worked. We'd work skeet tournaments on weekends sometimes.
I also worked at a gun club at age 12. Live pigeons. Saw more money change hands betting than I ever knew existed.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
jobs you have had after you retired would be interesting. havent had one yet but have turned down 3. dog walker, hospice worker, and property management.

maybe some years down the road.

Retiree

Live pigeons as in release and shoot them???
Yes, 1970, has since been outlawed. Not only did you shoot live pigeons, you pulled the tail feathers and tossed them in the air so they would fly erratically.....more challenging for the shooter. Yes, barbaric, but acceptable at the time.

Retiree

I didn't throw the birds, I picked up the carcasses, cleaned the pigeon pens, cleaned the shot guns, etc. This was an all cash job. Tips were great. The more the shooters drank the greater the tips. LOL. Not unusual to get $60 to $75 dollars per day on the weekend tournaments. Awesome money in $1970, especially for a 12 year old.

I didn't throw the birds, I picked up the carcasses, cleaned the pigeon pens, cleaned the shot guns, etc. This was an all cash job. Tips were great. The more the shooters drank the greater the tips. LOL. Not unusual to get $60 to $75 dollars per day on the weekend tournaments. Awesome money in $1970, especially for a 12 year old.
That's why I trapped as a kid. $40 for a raccoon in the mid 70's was big money