what do part timers want in 2013

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
We will see just how much the union values its PTers after these negotiations.

I talked to hall personally a few years ago.We (pt'ers) are not at the top of his list unless his views have changed since then.Somehow the pt'ers need to mobilize .Judging on the number of signatures on the TDU petition and the amount of time it is taking it does not look promising. I can't even get my guys to stay 3 1/2 hours or come in early to get extra time let alone sign a petition.

U

uber

Do you really think that P/T'ers are going to ever suddenly pull together and have some clout among the Union? I mean seriously, most P/T'ers are gone within a couple years, or are just looking to get through college. They don't have enough of a personal investment in the company to rally together and make a difference on contract negotiations. They want out of the company ASAP.

This isn't rocket science.

whiskers

I talked to hall personally a few years ago.We (pt'ers) are not at the top of his list unless his views have changed since then.Somehow the pt'ers need to mobilize .Judging on the number of signatures on the TDU petition and the amount of time it is taking it does not look promising. I can't even get my guys to stay 3 1/2 hours or come in early to get extra time let alone sign a petition.

Thats's the sad truth. Very few get their 3 1/2 here either.
I started a thread here on the BC hoping to get some signatures for that TDU petition. It does feel like a lost cause, but I still tell coworkers about it everyday.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thats's the sad truth. Very few get their 3 1/2 here either.
I started a thread here on the BC hoping to get some signatures for that TDU petition. It does feel like a lost cause, but I still tell coworkers about it everyday.

Keep up the good work...thank you for your efforts!

As a 9yr PTr I can say that I am okay with the current contract, I do agree with a raise for incoming PTrs. The biggest issue itself is the enforcement of the contract and yes the absence of union presence in my center. When I first started our B.A would show up about once a quarter, for the past 4yrs I only see him at the meetings.

I do have hopes of driving as sat air driver and cover driver but no new classes have been created, yet I file grievances for on-road sups delivering/shuttling packages about once a week. Last Friday an on road was driving a package car while an air driver was delivering them, it's because the air driver does not know the route....and they say we don't need any more cover drivers, yet all of our cover drivers drive everyday. Five FT drivers have retired and one passed and still no new slots.

I would like to see no give backs n enforcement. THNX

oldupsman

I truly do feel sorry for you part timers on here that are trying to make a difference. But I'm going to be honest with you.
The situation hasn't changed for 30 years. I could sit here all day and give you a dozen different reasons. The part timers just have never united.

brown_trousers

I truly do feel sorry for you part timers on here that are trying to make a difference. But I'm going to be honest with you.
The situation hasn't changed for 30 years. I could sit here all day and give you a dozen different reasons. The part timers just have never united.

The part-timers are "united". They are united in a union called Teamsters. They pay hard earned money for a union negotiator to negotiate on their behalf. Just like any other service you pay for, you are paying someone to do something for you (many times because you don't want to do the dirty work yourself). And lets be realistic, we can't have 100,000+ union members at the negotiating table all at once, thus we pay a union to negotiate on our behalf.

If the union was "truly" concerned with what the part-timers wanted they would find ways to get feedback from them. This is the 21st century and there are more constructive ways than "union meetings" to get feedback from then. Here in my area they mailed out contract surveys to all the members in our local to get feedback on what was most important in the upcoming negotiations. And I hope they do the same thing all around the country. How hard would it be to have a shop stewards ask around the part-time ranks what they want out of negotiations and then report it back to their local union hall?

the current work force isn't the same as it was 100 years ago. We dont all have schedules that revolve around the 9-5 / mon-fri work week, thus its unrealistic to think that everyone can meet at a specific day/time for a union meeting. When I was part-time, I found that almost every union meeting conflicted with my twilight shift and/or sat driving shift. And now as a FT driver I find that EVERY meeting is catered to my FT work schedule.

The Teamster have more than enough money and resources to find ways to communicate with its part-time members. And they should be obligated to find those ways after receiving so much union dues from them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The people who work at the Teamsters are politicians.

They have to get elected so they are going to take care of the people who vote ... ergo full-timers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

The part-timers are "united". They are united in a union called Teamsters. They pay hard earned money for a union negotiator to negotiate on their behalf. Just like any other service you pay for, you are paying someone to do something for you (many times because you don't want to do the dirty work yourself). And lets be realistic, we can't have 100,000+ union members at the negotiating table all at once, thus we pay a union to negotiate on our behalf.

If the union was "truly" concerned with what the part-timers wanted they would find ways to get feedback from them. This is the 21st century and there are more constructive ways than "union meetings" to get feedback from then. Here in my area they mailed out contract surveys to all the members in our local to get feedback on what was most important in the upcoming negotiations. And I hope they do the same thing all around the country. How hard would it be to have a shop stewards ask around the part-time ranks what they want out of negotiations and then report it back to their local union hall?

the current work force isn't the same as it was 100 years ago. We dont all have schedules that revolve around the 9-5 / mon-fri work week, thus its unrealistic to think that everyone can meet at a specific day/time for a union meeting. When I was part-time, I found that almost every union meeting conflicted with my twilight shift and/or sat driving shift. And now as a FT driver I find that EVERY meeting is catered to my FT work schedule.

The Teamster have more than enough money and resources to find ways to communicate with its part-time members. And they should be obligated to find those ways after receiving so much union dues from them.

By united I think everyone means band together and vote no if you don't like a contract. Politicians don't need to make everyone like them they just need to voters to like them.

P.S. I'm pretty sure 100 years ago there were very few m-friend 9-5 jobs.

Inthegame

meetings are outdated! we live in the 21st century now. cell phones, email, txt messaging, skype, etc...
Meetings are outdated??? Nothing is more informative for members than to show up at a meeting. No other venue provides the opportunity to get the real story of what's going on. At meetings your voice will be heard and your opinion counts. Posting on BC isn't going to get the IBT's attention, going to a meeting will.
Our local has meetings scheduled to accomodate all employees, on days, nights and weekends. Part timers don't show up in any significant numbers. The local does texting, e-mails, snail mail, web site, Skype, parking lot meetings, bulletin board postings, etc... Still little response from PT's. Brownmonster is dead on, everyone can find an excuse. If it really means something, PT's should make the effort. Part timers get trampled because the IBT understands this all too well, and so does UPS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why should we even be seeing a contract on the ballot that would justify a NO vote. They ought to be negotiating it right the first time around

The last contract got ratified no problem so as far as the union is concerned part timers are happy with the deal they have. If was soooooo bad why didn't they vote no?