what do part timers want in 2013

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
meetings are outdated! we live in the 21st century now. cell phones, email, txt messaging, skype, etc...

Aka I'm too busy all my other stuff is more important than going to some stupid meeting and discussing real issues with real people. So please send me an email or text that I can read when it's convenient for me.

This is why the union doesn't take part timers seriously for the most part they don't take the whole process seriously.

whiskers

Aka I'm too busy all my other stuff is more important than going to some stupid meeting and discussing real issues with real people. So please send me an email or text that I can read when it's convenient for me.

This is why the union doesn't take part timers seriously for the most part they don't take the whole process seriously.

Some of us live in larger states than others. The local I belong to is a 5 hour drive from me. I am a part timer making very little money, I can NOT afford to make that drive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I want temp drivers to not be used in the next contract so part timers who have been waiting for 5 or 6 years can have friend/t rts.

This would not make sense. The company needs seasonal drivers during peak periods. The jobs are not permanent. If they were to call up PTers just to drive during these periods they would have to hire temps to replace them---how much sense would that make?

I would like to see union dues more fair. (ex.. FT and PT employee getting same hourly wage pays same dues. PT limited to 18-25 hours of work a week but FT can work 40-50 hours a week.) I am PT and pay around 80-90 cents per hours in dues. I am close to retiring so this may help the new employees who do not know what a union does.

Our Union office is 70 miles away. Would like to see more local meetings--not every 3-5 years when a new contract is due.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I want temp drivers to not be used in the next contract so part timers who have been waiting for 5 or 6 years can have friend/t rts.
I would like to see them do away with or greatly reduce the summer season period. The way it is now if your short through the summer just hire a ton a of seasonals and then load the drivers up for two months til another seasonal period. Then everyone knows no one takes vacation late winter thru early spring. Oh guess what it's time for seasonals again. I only waited two years before I started driving and it was such a blessing. No one should have to wait 10-15 years.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I basicaly am working for the insurance now so i dont want the free benefits to become a thing of the past.

They are not free you earn them with your sweat.That being said absolutley no givebacks !!! Please take note of the financals the company is making plenty of money.

SameRightsForAll

The short answer to the initial question is "the same exact rights as full-time employees".

The agreement is reworked each time with the driver in mind and never the part-timer or twilight shift workers, et al.

Fairness rights should apply to all employees . The sad truth of the matter is that part-timers are harassed, humiliated, and abused by management every single day long before the drivers show up. Early AM workers are the most disciplined people you will meet (most of them), getting up long before the sun rises, driving to work in the dark to basically what is a hell-hole knowing they will be abused the very minute they walk in the door and the Start buzzer rings. Since nobody else is up at that time of morning, not even auditors or OSHA, UPS beats these guys up pretty bad and at the same time threatens to fire them, putting constant fear into even the most loyal and efficient veteran workers.

More rules in the Master Agreement need to call out part-timers as well and not overly use the keywords "driver" or "service provider" as if they are the only employee who matters or might have a true grievance with the company. Face it, part-timers are abused, forgotten, and considered a lesser form of employee when in fact they are just as valuable as any other, so long as they come to work on time and do their best.

Another thing... missing hours, incorrect pay codes, and time-shaving has GOT to stop. Everybody knows what's up and they are talking about it, so if you are in management and think nobody knows what you're doing, you're wrong. It's a matter of time before the bubble bursts. Quit stealing hard earned money from these workers to make budget. This is illegal! A worker MUST be compensated for each minute he is on the clock or working for the company, period! Shady activity can be seen in this area right before raises twice a year and during peak when a lot of new hires are completely confused and mislead.

How to *quickly* resolve issues involving missing hours or money should be etched in stone in this agreement.

L

Loufan

So if they give a bump in pay to new PT'ers, They'd make 10.00 starting out and i'd be at the low 12's even after 5 years.
Good for them, but that'd suck for me.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
So if they give a bump in pay to new PT'ers, They'd make 10.00 starting out and i'd be at the low 12's even after 5 years.
Good for them, but that'd suck for me.
Not necessarily. If you are still in the 4 year progression the minimum hourley wage for the progression wage would go up proportionatley to the $10.00 per hour starting rate .Example based on this contract with a $10 base if you were in your fourth year now you rate would go up to base of 10.00 +.50 1st year+.50 2nd year+.50 3year +.87 4th year=$12.37 at the minimum, add to that .95 per hour 2013 contract raise ,at 5 years you would be $13.32 not including any sort raise or cost of living increase which could be another $1.12 an hour.

Island

How to *quickly* resolve issues involving missing hours or money should be etched in stone in this agreement.
This is what I'm very hopeful for, but I know I'm going to be let down. I want stronger words in my contract to help me hold the company accountable. Just two weeks ago a new hire was threatened with termination in front of his department and the steward who works on the same belt said he won't help because the new hire is under seniority. I want things like this to stop, without a lot of arguing and politics.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is what I'm very hopeful for, but I know I'm going to be let down. I want stronger words in my contract to help me hold the company accountable. Just two weeks ago a new hire was threatened with termination in front of his department and the steward who works on the same belt said he won't help because the new hire is under seniority. I want things like this to stop, without a lot of arguing and politics.

Until you get your 30 days in you have no protection through the union.

Island

Doesn't matter, it's still humiliation. I don't give a flying <add your own word> what the union guarantees a person, no one deserves to have UPS treat them like (and I'll use a buzzphrase here) "less than Brown." If we were keeping management in line, they wouldn't do things like that to anyone, because they wouldn't be all dishonest <add your own pluralized word>.
I'm tryin' to not be stressed about this new contract but part-time life really blows. Those of you who have good sorts with good people, I will not waste the energy on envy and spend it instead on my one-man crusade against my local hall and my local operation. But congratulations on having it nice.
I want that stronger, clearer contract that I can more easily use without a useless steward or a paralegal certification.

Inthegame

The short answer to the initial question is "the same exact rights as full-time employees".

The agreement is reworked each time with the driver in mind and never the part-timer or twilight shift workers, et al.

The agreement is reworked to get improvements where possible for the members who demand improvements. Enough part timers don't show interest in any great numbers.

Fairness rights should apply to all employees . The sad truth of the matter is that part-timers are harassed, humiliated, and abused by management every single day long before the drivers show up. Early AM workers are the most disciplined people you will meet (most of them), getting up long before the sun rises, driving to work in the dark to basically what is a hell-hole knowing they will be abused the very minute they walk in the door and the Start buzzer rings. Since nobody else is up at that time of morning, not even auditors or OSHA, UPS beats these guys up pretty bad and at the same time threatens to fire them, putting constant fear into even the most loyal and efficient veteran workers.

Right, drivers usually don't show up many hours before their shifts. All UPS pt's get harassed because they're working right in front of the worlds best harassers. Drivers only feel that heat for a small piece of their day.

More rules in the Master Agreement need to call out part-timers as well and not overly use the keywords "driver" or "service provider" as if they are the only employee who matters or might have a true grievance with the company. Face it, part-timers are abused, forgotten, and considered a lesser form of employee when in fact they are just as valuable as any other, so long as they come to work on time and do their best.

Haven't seen the words "service provider" in the contract but do see where most articles refer to employees, not drivers.

Another thing... missing hours, incorrect pay codes, and time-shaving has GOT to stop. Everybody knows what's up and they are talking about it, so if you are in management and think nobody knows what you're doing, you're wrong. It's a matter of time before the bubble bursts. Quit stealing hard earned money from these workers to make budget. This is illegal! A worker MUST be compensated for each minute he is on the clock or working for the company, period! Shady activity can be seen in this area right before raises twice a year and during peak when a lot of new hires are completely confused and mislead.

It already is in the contract, Article 17 National Master and most likely in your regional supplement or rider.
There is some effort you must expend to get things done, like bring these issues up with your steward. I've resolved many pay issues either within 2 days or on the next pay check.

Inthegame

Doesn't matter, it's still humiliation. I don't give a flying <add your own word> what the union guarantees a person, no one deserves to have UPS treat them like (and I'll use a buzzphrase here) "less than Brown." If we were keeping management in line, they wouldn't do things like that to anyone, because they wouldn't be all dishonest <add your own pluralized word>.
I'm tryin' to not be stressed about this new contract but part-time life really blows. Those of you who have good sorts with good people, I will not waste the energy on envy and spend it instead on my one-man crusade against my local hall and my local operation. But congratulations on having it nice.
I want that stronger, clearer contract that I can more easily use without a useless steward or a paralegal certification.
The steward cannot do anything contractually for an employee without seniority. That's just the cold hard facts. UPS gets to abuse these "employees" until they "make book". Then Art 37 can be applied but UPS, and this will be hard to swallow, gets to direct the workforce. And yes, they have some &^%*heads doing it.
I'm glad you recognize there are some "good" sorts with good people. Not enough I'll grant but how do you figure that happens? Here's a hint...By enforcing the present language by concerted effort of ALL the employees, not just the stewards working behind the scenes.
Good luck on your one man crusade, I'd suggest you get a few more likeminded co workers and run for union office. Or at least put your name in for the steward job. Then you'll have all kinds of "friends" telling each other how useless you are.

22.34life

p/t employees will get the big hard shaft just like they do in every contract,this thread should ask what do you not want taken away from you in the next contract as a part timer?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The steward cannot do anything contractually for an employee without seniority. That's just the cold hard facts. UPS gets to abuse these "employees" until they "make book". Then Art 37 can be applied but UPS, and this will be hard to swallow, gets to direct the workforce. And yes, they have some &^%*heads doing it.
I'm glad you recognize there are some "good" sorts with good people. Not enough I'll grant but how do you figure that happens? Here's a hint...By enforcing the present language by concerted effort of ALL the employees, not just the stewards working behind the scenes.
Good luck on your one man crusade, I'd suggest you get a few more likeminded co workers and run for union office. Or at least put your name in for the steward job. Then you'll have all kinds of "friends" telling each other how useless you are.
The one-man crusade is the only way. The Teamsters union is , at least, equally as "bad" as the co, whether you understand that or not. Except UPS is actually making money. :happy-very:

FAVREFAN

I would like to see union dues more fair. (ex.. FT and PT employee getting same hourly wage pays same dues. PT limited to 18-25 hours of work a week but FT can work 40-50 hours a week.) I am PT and pay around 80-90 cents per hours in dues. I am close to retiring so this may help the new employees who do not know what a union does.

Our Union office is 70 miles away. Would like to see more local meetings--not every 3-5 years when a new contract is due.

Couldn't agree more. I make almost the same hourly wage as 22.3's, pay damn near the same dues each week but work a bit more than 1/2 the hours. Total b.s. I only need representation 1/2 the amount of time. I'm paying $800-$850 a year in dues on a part-time job. I get 1/2 the pension I should pay 1/2 the dues.