what do part timers want in 2013

brown_trousers

The company is making billions of dollars a year in Profits. Last Quarter they made $990 millions after they paid all the bills...

Stop talking about giving stuff back to the company in exchange for something else...

Good point. 990 million in just one quarter is a lot of profit. that just goes to show that UPS could easily lower its shipping rates to be more competetive.

S

splozi

People forget that as a pt'er in my area, you are getting about $9 an hour in benny's. Granted you can't buy a happy meal with that, but it is part of your total compensation package.

I can make stuffed peppers for ~$9. Ground (seasoned) pork, rice, red/green bell peppers, tomato sauce (from tomatoes, not pre-manufactured). Add a few more bucks for mozzarella cheese. Makes 8.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can make stuffed peppers for ~$9. Ground (seasoned) pork, rice, red/green bell peppers, tomato sauce (from tomatoes, not pre-manufactured). Add a few more bucks for mozzarella cheese. Makes 8.
I love stuffed peppers. But, you can't take your kid to the hospital of $9. Retirement, legal, dental, we do have it good.

UPSGUY72

The reduced top out would only affect those new FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract.

A top out isn't even negotiable and will never happen. Maybe you would voted for it but I don't see to many other people voting for it... We don't make $31.00 hr + because we negotiated a top out. I'll take every dime I can get from UPS in pay raises till I retire and I would never agreeing to give them something back either for me or my fellow brother and sisters just because we (UPS package drivers ) make a decent wage.

UPSGUY72

I love stuffed peppers. But, you can't take your kid to the hospital of $9. Retirement, legal, dental, we do have it good.

Bingo. I pay nothing for health insurance for a family of 4 and can go to any Dr I choose. My wife see's two primary Dr's. Last week one ask how do you have 2 primary Dr's my wife said my husband has great insurance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A top out isn't even negotiable and will never happen. Maybe you would voted for it but I don't see to many other people voting for it... We don't make $31.00 hr + because we negotiated a top out. I'll take every dime I can get from UPS in pay raises till I retire and I would never agreeing to give them something back either for me or my fellow brother and sisters just because we (UPS package drivers ) make a decent wage.

...which is why the company will offer a signing bonus...

beentheredonethat

Good point. 990 million in just one quarter is a lot of profit. that just goes to show that UPS could easily lower its shipping rates to be more competetive.

Brown_trousers. What exactly should a company make in profit? Is it 1 million? 2 million? 100 million? Should it be based on % of sales? So a large company should be able to make more profit then a small company? I'm interested to know what is the "appropriate" amount of money a company should make (In your opinion).

brown_trousers

Brown_trousers. What exactly should a company make in profit? Is it 1 million? 2 million? 100 million? Should it be based on % of sales? So a large company should be able to make more profit then a small company? I'm interested to know what is the "appropriate" amount of money a company should make (In your opinion).

Thats a good question? Probably a very subjective one too. All we really know is that there is a huge buffer of money there that UPS can, if they choose to, use to lower their shipping rates and stay competitive. With that much profit, there's no basis to their claim of not being able to stay competitive because of our wages and benefits. They have the money there, they just choose to allocate it to profit rather than other things.

anonymous4

But let's take that money out of our pockets and implement two-tiered wages for FUTURE drivers, right!? Let's lower their career earnings potential by over $600,000 (more) and chop them down! It is the ONLY way UPS can stay competitive!

See, you will be bombarded by posts saying ground breaks even and all earnings come from other areas of UPS. There is no "winning" with management because there will always be a reason to pay us less. UPS is in the green, show us the money. UPS will find a way to stay competitive, it doesn't need to come by significantly lowering the value of a driving career at UPS like Upstate claims.

beentheredonethat

Thats a good question? Probably a very subjective one too. All we really know is that there is a huge buffer of money there that UPS can, if they choose to, use to lower their shipping rates and stay competitive. With that much profit, there's no basis to their claim of not being able to stay competitive because of our wages and benefits. They have the money there, they just choose to allocate it to profit rather than other things.
It depends on your definition of huge, and how you measure it. Keep in mind that in the US Operations we had a 12.4% margin. So for every dollar we were paid by the customer it cost us 87.6 cents. We made 12.4 cents. However, of that money, some went to pay for dividends, some went to purchase major investments (new hubs, new technology, new planes, new pkg cars etc). Investing in the company comes after the profit numbers. So how much do you want to reduce our charges to the customer? or how much do you want to increase pay rates? What should that profit margin be?

Keep in mind, companies are in business to make money. It doesn't sound to me like 12.4% profit is "HUGE".

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
12.4% is not huge ,but is it real ? Or is it creative accounting? They can spin the numbers anyway they want. I have stock and enjoy the dividends but throw the people a bone afterall they make the company go.The distance between an article 22 person that labors hard to make $45K and support his family and the putz in the board room that gives himself and extra $600K to his $6 million per year salary is to great. They need to invest in the people !

brown_trousers

12.4% is not huge ,but is it real ? Or is it creative accounting? They can spin the numbers anyway they want. I have stock and enjoy the dividends but throw the people a bone afterall they make the company go.The distance between an article 22 person that labors hard to make $45K and support his family and the putz in the board room that gives himself and extra $600K to his $6 million per year salary is to great. They need to invest in the people !

Agreed.., there is enough money in this place to keep wages up, remain competitive, and turn a profit.

even with UPS giving us the raises they do, have their profits been decreasing? how much profit did the company make 20 yrs ago, compared to today? Because I guarantee you we have seen a whole lot of raises since then.

and when it comes down to push and shove, I'd rather see this company's success shared more with its workers, than its share holders. We are the ones investing our blood, sweat, and tears into the success of this company. An investment far more valuable than merely buying a stock

beentheredonethat

Has a company ever entered incorrect information on their financial statements? Sure some have. But it is very illegal and the CFO\CEO etc can and will be sent to jail by the SEC for doing so. Of companies that have misstated financial statements I've never heard of someone stating they are doing worse then what was truly going on. If anything, they say things are better so the stock price doesn't decline. I truly believe these numbers of 12.4% profit. Companies are in business to make money. If there is no financial reward why start a company?

beentheredonethat

[h=2]cap·i·tal·ism[/h]   /ˈkæpɪtlˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled[kap-i-tl-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

I agree. Capitalism is the reason a company is created and invested in. In exchange, the people who invest reap financial gains.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I work a full time job as a manager for a small company less than 300 people and make a good living . The owners are second and third generation. They run the company by the founders philosophy "take care of your people " We are very very successful.