what do part timers want in 2013

ftballer67

Exactly, give us a wage progression similar to what PART TIME air drivers receive. It's funny to read some of the responses that assume that every long term part timer doesn't want to go full time so we should be happy with what we get. Well I've been here 8 years signed every bid and still am looking at another 5 years. Can't understand the mentality of the people that think we should wait half of our potential careers to receive a decent wage.

Most of the people saying this probably did not have to wait anywhere near as long as we're having to and also were making the same wages we are now a decade or more ago when that money went a lot farther than it does now.

Last edited:

ftballer67

Originally Posted by upsguy72
I suggest that if someone is really unhappy about how much they make as a PTimer starting out at UPS maybe they should look around at other unskilled PT jobs and see what they start you out as, what benefits they supply at what cost to you and what your chance for advancement are.... Good luck.

Sums it up quite nicely.

Stewie is spot on. The job should be a supplement to what else you do.... Not a sole means of support.

-Bug-

Please with that rationale, you could say the same thing about full timers. Take a look at what other truck drivers make, and compare your salaries, benefits etc.

I'm sure for one second you wouldn't say that you're overpaid though right? Think about it.

UPSGUY72

Please with that rationale, you could say the same thing about full timers. Take a look at what other truck drivers make, and compare your salaries, benefits etc.

I'm sure for one second you wouldn't say that you're overpaid though right? Think about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a truck driver. I a package delivery driver. If I was a truck driver I would be called a Feeder driver... There is a big difference in what I do day in and day out and what a "truck driver does that works for any company" 90 percent of the people that driver "trucks" don't ever touch there load. On average I make 150 deliveries a day and deliver any where from 150 to over 400 packages...

You can't compare what I do and what a "truck driver does".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...perhaps not but we can be compared directly to FedEx Ground drivers. Ground is becoming more efficient and their customer service is improving. They are anticipating a 28% volume increase in June, most likely a diversion of P2 from Express. They generally earn between 1/3 and 1/2 of what we do for similar work.

I am in no way advocating Ground wages but am realistic enough to know that our wage structure needs to be addressed to ensure our continued viability. New FT hires would have a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out.

upsman2940

It's funny that you advocate a lower starting wage for drivers, longer progression and lower top out rate. Cuz that exactly what the company is doing to its new full time supervisors. We have 1 outside hire that was told on his 29 th day take $38k to be a ft sup or assume his old pt shift!! He stayed pt!

brown_trousers

New FT hires would have a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out.

lol, we already have the LONGEST wage progression ever if you really add it up;

- 3 months pre-seniority as a new PT hire
- 10+ yrs as a part-timer waiting to get a FT position
- 3 yrs FT driver pay progression

Thats 13+ years to get your good FT driver wage!

UPSGUY72

The company is making billions of dollars a year in Profits. Last Quarter they made $990 millions after they paid all the bills...

Stop talking about giving stuff back to the company in exchange for something else...

anonymous4

Can anyone confirm that Upstate is in fact a driver and not a delusional shill? All of his posts advocate teamsters giving back to UPS in the form of new drivers making less than he currently does. I started UPS at 18. I am now 23 years old. The wait for driver is something I am chasing and it looks to be another 4 years. After that I will have another 3 years before I hit top rate. So basically 12 years before I am making what I've worked towards for more than a decade. Yet Upstate is constantly parading around what you see here. Two-tiered wage structures for NEW DRIVERS (doesn't apply to him) and an even longer progression (doesn't apply to him). Notice a trend? Sorry, but I didn't put 12 years into back breaking work so you can "give back" to the company by sacrificing myself and all the up and coming drivers wanting their piece of the pie they EARNED. Oh that's right, you too didn't spend a second in the hub part time. It makes perfect sense why you look at things the way you do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Swords, I see things the way I do because I am a realist. You don't see the competition that I see on a daily basis. You don't see the FedEx Ground trucks full front to back. You don't see the volume being diverted to Ground because our price point is too high. You don't see just how difficult it is for us to secure new volume. You don't see the volume being diverted to the Post Office. You don't see the Freight volume being diverted to local LTL companies.

We will be at $32/hr at the end of this contract with an industry leading benefit and pension package. In contrast, the average Ground driver is lucky to make even 1/2 of that with no benefits or pension. I am in no way advocating for Ground wages, nor do I want a two-tiered wage system, but I am realistic enough to know that the wage disparity needs to be addressed, whether in 2013 or 2019, with a lower starting wage ($15/hr), longer progression (4-5 years) and a lower top out ($25/hr).

You are right--I never worked a day in the hub so I have no idea what you kids go through. I do have enough business sense to see the writing on the wall.

This contract is the one in which the PTers need to be taken care of with a bump in the starting pay to $10/hr.

menotyou

bella amicizia
An extended progression is not an avenue the union should allow. I am on progression(Thank God most of my time has been while out on comp)and the job is the same the top pay guys are making. Arguably less, as the kids on progression are usually hustling as they are easily intimidated being they,usually, are young and impressionable. Three years is long enough. Top out being lower is a fairer way to go, as it affects everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An extended progression is not an avenue the union should allow. I am on progression(Thank God most of my time has been while out on comp)and the job is the same the top pay guys are making. Arguably less, as the kids on progression are usually hustling as they are easily intimidated being they,usually, are young and impressionable. Three years is long enough. Top out being lower is a fairer way to go, as it affects everyone.

The reduced top out would only affect those new FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, when all the others retire, what will the entire work force be making? I against discriminatory practices, and I agree with my father view that it is discriminatory. That is why he fought against it in his union when he was BA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When all of the current FT employees retire the remaining would be at whatever the lower top out rate would be at the time. I suggested $25/hr but that figure would have to be indexed for inflation.

The era of the career UPS driver is slowly becoming a distant memory. I don't see a lot of the younger drivers that I work with staying for 30+ years.

As I have said repeatedly, I do not endorse this concept but see it as economic reality. $32/hr plus benefits and pension for a job which only requires a HS diploma?

S

splozi

I only got up to about page 5 of this thread, so I hope nobody brought this up. There were a few posts from those pages that this is in response to.

I keep seeing the $8.50/hr thing mentioned for pt timer work. As far as I am aware, 8.50 is for the "unskilled" positions, and 9.50 is for the "skilled" positions. I believe that during the preload shift, there is really only one unskilled position and that's unloading. During the night shift... I'm not sure, but I believe there are some skilled positions in there as well.

Can anyone tell me if these come out to be about 50/50?

Anyway, my point is that after 90 days I was making 10.50/hr. So, while 8.50 is technically the stated start wage for part timers, after a pretty short period, a lot of part timers are making 10.50, which isn't quite as bad.

Don't get me wrong though, a raise would still be great.

And regarding the argument that higher starting pay won't necessarily make people work harder, ...if your job pays better, you typically want to keep it. You don't want to be stupid and lazy and risk losing it. That's another way of looking at it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
People forget that as a pt'er in my area, you are getting about $9 an hour in benny's. Granted you can't buy a happy meal with that, but it is part of your total compensation package.