What is our incentive to join the teamsters?

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Can anyone tell me why we should join the teamsters union? I will be retiring in 6 yrs with 30 yrs service. Combined; my company pension, social security; and 401k will pay me between 5&6K a month without touching the principal on my 401. I just got the fact sheet on the pension fund last week and it is fully 100% funded.

With the recent teamster pension cuts and under funded status
(40%), explain to me why I should even sign a union card, let alone vote the teamsters union in at this stage in my career?

Pretend you are a car salesman and try and sell me the pinto along with the extended warranty.:confused:1
You answered your own question ! Why invite the thief inside your house ?

local776

5 O I cant give you one good reason to join the corrupt money grubbing good for nothing International Brotherhood of Teamsters.Unless 'of course you want your pension cut in half ,about 1 percent of your pay in dues ,to a union that does not give a dam about you.
is that 1 percent for a week,month or year

Bill

Okay you say you have 6 yrs left.
1.) Specualtion is that the Teamsters will offer three for one on future pension credits and vest them after 5 yrs. If this holds true you wold have a 18 yr Teamster pension along with you current pension after 6yrs.
2.) 40%???? Where are you getting this number? Which fund are you talking about? Is your pension 100% becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this or is the Teamster pension (which fund) is 40% funded becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this. You claim you have a fact sheet that says it 100%, you can get the facts from the Psension too. You are from PA, do you know which fund you would be covered under? Certianly not the imfamous Central States. I suggest you research your local area Teamster Pension fund yourself and get the answers to funding, companies involved, and contributors, along with the company and Teamster trustee names. These individuals can answer the question better than anyone.

3.) Now if the pension funds are your only reason for joining or not joining the Teamsters, why are you even considering it.
Do you want a voice in the workplace?
Do want protection against unjust firing or disipline?
Do you want protection against subcontracting or farming out of your work to other companies.
Do you want paid medical, dental, eye care, legal, burial, dismemberment and death benifits for zilch?
Do you want job security, the protection offered against someone with less seniority taking your job or start time based on favoritism, nepatism or retailiazation.
Do want to be paid for all duties preformed instead of giving up time spent on or with company property preforming duties directed toward you to preform by the company?
Do you want fair days wage for a fair days work.
Paid holidays guarenteed?
Paid personal time off guarenteed?
Sick days paid without filing an insurance claim?
Overtime after 8?
Time and a half plus 8 on holidays if asked or forced to work?
Do you want your rights as an American worker respected?
Do you want to be repected on or in the work place by your superiors and peers?

I don't beileve in extened warranties, but I do believe in maintaining and continuing to grow. The rest will take care of itself.

T251
Does it make any sense that the Teamsters can give you 3 years credit for every year worked? If this was the case, everyone would work ten years, receive 30 years credit and retire.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
At the rate of the teamsters funding (Central Stsates of 59%) and more people joining the ranks of retiring. The pot will continue to be reduced. Then more reductions will take place. By the time they clean out Central States and the government takes it over at $12,000 a year the plus will be no job restrictions !!!!!!!!!!!!! Slow death of our benefits by the man that was paid to take care of it ?????????? Now its your time to try to figure out if your still on the fence or you will let the cancer set in and take over ?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
So if the gov takes over you get a grand a month. I wonder how many working class people will get a grand a month at retirement? I wonder how many working class people think they deserve to retire at 30 years in their early to mid fifties? I think the golden egg has cracked and rotted for good.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hoser your a maroon, most companies that are nonunion dont have to pay overtime over 8 its over 40, they dont have to pay 9 holidays, they dont have pay vacations, they dont give medical,etc.., Maybe you should go to a labor law class before spewing off about LABOR LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

area43

I ve worked for ups for 22 years. As time goes by my body gets worse. For a man that realizes that theres give and take in all relationships(working rel) there must be loyalty between sincerely good workers and its employers. In this day and age their is none. As ups drivers get older their productivity may drop and be replaced with younger bodies. This is where a union might be of use.

JAZZ

Hello All,

This is my first day here at the Brown Cafe. Just wanted to know about the union for newbies. I have been with UPS for 5 months and I also have questions about the benefits of the union. No one can give me complete answers at my sight.

Thank you in advance for any and all information

FreightKicker

FreightKicker
I have been with a LTL carrier that is non-union and I seen it from that side of the fence. When the union talk has settle and the employees turn down the union then they are now at the mercy of the Company. That’s when little things begin to get cut. For example...certain medications and/or health insurance is downgraded. Most of us have families; we depend on "little" things like that. When you have children that's when it really counts. Trust the teamsters? Not me! I would rather go with someone who will give organized labor a "Fresh" start and a "Clean" path without organized crime corruption among its top people. I will go with the APWA.