What Is The Biggest Upper Management Lie You've Ever Heard?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is upper management only. Mine nomination is the reasoning behind killing-off the pension. It's tied with P-S-P for the most outrageous whopper.

vantexan

During the 90's as many here know we went about 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees. I remember Fred S telling us one year during that period in the World Wide Update that if he gave a 2% raise to topped out employees it would cost the company an extra $30 million a YEAR, and they just couldn't afford it. That same month FedEx announced that they had achieved their first $250 million dollar profit in one QUARTER.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
During the 90's as many here know we went about 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees. I remember Fred S telling us one year during that period in the World Wide Update that if he gave a 2% raise to topped out employees it would cost the company an extra $30 million a YEAR, and they just couldn't afford it. That same month FedEx announced that they had achieved their first $250 million dollar profit in one QUARTER.

That just about sums it up.
We can't give you a raise but, we can buy new, more fuel efficient, aircraft.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

That just about sums it up.
We can't give you a raise but, we can buy new, more fuel efficient, aircraft.
Sounds real typical of Memphis.

P.S. You suck Smith!!!

Goldilocks

I remember this, going without a pay increase for 5 years. We should have seen the writing on the wall.....

vantexan

I remember this, going without a pay increase for 5 years. We should have seen the writing on the wall.....

True, they finally did come through with pretty good raises for topped out employees. Then they crapped on mid-range employees to pay for those raises, and they made sure through lobbying that they'd never have to worry about a union again. We like to say that the older employees have a better work ethic, etc but truth is that older employees have something to work for, while younger ones don't give a damn because they're getting a raw deal. What a joke this has all become.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
True, they finally did come through with pretty good raises for topped out employees. Then they crapped on mid-range employees to pay for those raises, and they made sure through lobbying that they'd never have to worry about a union again. We like to say that the older employees have a better work ethic, etc but truth is that older employees have something to work for, while younger ones don't give a damn because they're getting a raw deal. What a joke this has all become.

They finally came through with a raise only when we were threatening to go union in 1996-97. Think that maybe we should have voted it in? Of course, we never got the chance to vote because of the fast one Fred's buddies in Congress pulled with the FAA Reauthorization Act. Oh, yeah, and the Teamsters fled like their panties were on fire.

vantexan

They finally came through with a raise only when we were threatening to go union in 1996-97. Think that maybe we should have voted it in? Of course, we never got the chance to vote because of the fast one Fred's buddies in Congress pulled with the FAA Reauthorization Act. Oh, yeah, and the Teamsters fled like their panties were on fire.

You're right, meant to say they came up with pretty good raises due to the union scare. It's my firm belief that they've always been this way, and only were generous early on to build the brand with quality people.