What is up with the dirt trucks??

Pip

I'm not sure why some of ya are having problems getting seals replaced on the package cars. I replace them when needed. The seals are a pink tag item (cheap cost) and are extremely easy to replace, so easy A caveman can do it.

J

jwb200k

My delivery route runs around 250 miles a day. The windows get extemely dirty with bugs and dirt making it unsafe. UPS would not wash them. I filed several greivances. Instead of fixing the problem they put it back on me by saying its my responsibility to leave the center with a safe vehicle. The said I had to wash it in the am before I left the building so now I am getting paid $41+ an hour to do it. I take my time to get the windows spotless. We have several car washers on the PM shift that make $9 an hour. It does not make sense!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I take care of the inside condition of my own truck. Can't trust other people to do it for you. I proudly have oneof hte cleanest cabs in package car in the center. I keep cleaning suppplies in my truck and use them as needed. Once in a blue moon I will also sweep out and/or vacuum the cargo area as well. Just makes me sick how people can drive aaround in the pig sties that they get to be.

BronxCarWasher

I am a car washer in the bronx, and I just want to say that between the shifting, pulling trucks in and out of the building, and making runs to 43rd st. every night, we really don't have enough time to actually wash too many trucks. Just wanted to add my 2 cents

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am a car washer in the bronx, and I just want to say that between the shifting, pulling trucks in and out of the building, and making runs to 43rd st. every night, we really don't have enough time to actually wash too many trucks. Just wanted to add my 2 cents

Thanks for your 2 cents worth, BronxCarWasher, and welcome to the Brown Cafe. It is just a pet peeve of mine that the equipment that our customers see everyday isn't kept up like it used to be. I didn't realize until this thread that the Car Wash was being cut to the bare 3.5 minimum hours and the other things that you do. I never see you guys because of the opposite hours in my Hub that we work. I would be happy if my Car was washed at least once a week, due to some fluke, it hasn't been touched for several months. My car doesn't have mud all over it, we have been in a drought for a while and it just looks dusty and dirty. It is hard to see out of the windshield through the part the wipers don't reach, this should be a safety issue.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We have car wash on property and are responsible for washing our trucks every night. The inside of our trucks get done but not often enough, they usually make that taw work for injured drivers.

SmithBarney

3 or maybe 4 weeks of non-cleaning, never an issue with management.. LOL
this particular car was never scheduled to be cleaned... not to mention
I regularly returned well after car wash was over...

dirtsmall.jpg

MSGTDEL

I work the carwash at P'dale in Atlanta. We are told the each center has a day that they have to go through the car wash tunnel, however, it does not seemed to be enforced by management. Having said that, we have more pc's that are dirty or not washed. Some are too far in the lineup and you have to move 3-4 pc's to get one out (especially one without power steering). That eat up time and you know how UPS is on hours. It usually gets written up and the driver is asked to make sure to wash it when he or she gets in. I suggest you tell your management team that you need you pc cleaned.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
now that the YANKEE"S SUCK and are 10 behind the Sox,13 behind after this series you should turn off the game at nite and find plenty of time to wash more pkg cars,maybe UPS will hire Joe Torre to help you guys out,he will be looking for a job come friday!!!!!! THE SOX #1 BABY!!!!!! GO SOX!!!!!:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

BronxCarWasher

I couldn't agree more. It should be a safety issue, especially the way they are reaaly preaching safety( at least in my building). I am actually a full time car washer. I work 8 hours a night. I was a driver for 15 years, and got the car washer job 4 years ago. I am responsible for 35 trucks, and I try my best to keep them somewhat clean.

Pacman

I saw a filthy package car delivering at a bike shop around 1000 am last Monday morning. The weather was clear and bright and the driver said he had not driven through a mud bath. The driver looked at the car and said he really didn't notice it was dirty because the cars are always dirty.
UPS is discarding it's reputation for excellence through this and other changes which make it just another company which deivers packages. By 2018 there won't be a UPS unless it removes it's head from the nether region.

BronxCarWasher

Thanks for your 2 cents worth, BronxCarWasher, and welcome to the Brown Cafe. It is just a pet peeve of mine that the equipment that our customers see everyday isn't kept up like it used to be. I didn't realize until this thread that the Car Wash was being cut to the bare 3.5 minimum hours and the other things that you do. I never see you guys because of the opposite hours in my Hub that we work. I would be happy if my Car was washed at least once a week, due to some fluke, it hasn't been touched for several months. My car doesn't have mud all over it, we have been in a drought for a while and it just looks dusty and dirty. It is hard to see out of the windshield through the part the wipers don't reach, this should be a safety issue.

I couldn't agree more. It should be a safety issue, especially the way they are really preaching safety( at least in my building). I am actually a full time car washer. I work 8 hours a night. I was a driver for 15 years, and got the car washer job 4 years ago. I am responsible for 35 trucks, and I try my best to keep them somewhat clean.

6 yrs. to go!

Phila. District
Driving a newer 1300 with about 39,000 miles on it what they do with the outside is up to them but I keep the cab claen with Simple Green. The safety guy was checking the cars the other evening and pulled the bottle, and the next morning got called to the office for having a unacceptable cleaner in the car so I walked up to the car and got the MSDS that I printed off the Simple Green website. Loved the look on their faces when that happened. :cool:

BronxCarWasher

Thats a great story, I got a hold of that simple green stuff once, It really makes the trucks shine, I asked them if they could order more, they said no....Whatever, like you I only have 6 years to go too.

raceanoncr

Driving a newer 1300 with about 39,000 miles on it what they do with the outside is up to them but I keep the cab claen with Simple Green. The safety guy was checking the cars the other evening and pulled the bottle, and the next morning got called to the office for having a unacceptable cleaner in the car so I walked up to the car and got the MSDS that I printed off the Simple Green website. Loved the look on their faces when that happened. :cool:

:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Sammie

The guys here bring in their own brushes, soap, windex, paper towels, etc. and do the outside/insides themselves. The only thing left in the wash tunnels is a dribble of water. Pitiful.

govols019

You smell that?
Re: "A Clean Truck Is A Happy Truck"

Yet another article that is neglected, or even ignored by management and apparently the union as well. The one that really ticks me off is the article that was supposed to create more full-time jobs. I mean it only makes since. If they can ignore the article above then why not others? As long as these things continue to go unchecked the longer management will ignore them.

Have you or anyone else filed a grievance citing that article to get the cars clean?

The Union doesn't know it's a problem until you let them know.

Channahon

The illustrious IE deptmartment use to provide allowances for the car wash

Now since things changed awhile ago, don't wash every car, every day, not sure how allowances are measured.

Your management team knows how much time is allowed to wash cars.

Clean cars should not be a safety issue, they should be washed as needed.

It is very disappointing that greivances, need to be filed, to keep our drivers safe.

8up

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS
Section 1 - Employees' Rights - Equipment, Vehicles and Conditions:

"First line trailers will be swept on a daily basis. All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windows."

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

Jeez, what have I been thinking all these years? I kept my car clean thinking I was following the contract maintaining it in a clean and sanitary condition. Who's supposed to be doing that?

trickpony1

By "....unacceptable....", I think they meant you didn't get on your knees and beg and plead to use your own cleaner.